Welcome to Gaia! ::

Reply The Lavender Lounge .: Questions and Assistance :.
Could someone help me? (Deity-related Question) Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Starlock
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 9:39 am
Just a general thing to keep in mind... take things slowly and give yourself time to digest. Read multiple sources, since they'll present things in a slightly different way that will get you better perspective. Wikipedia is a good starting point, but I don't suggest using it as prime source. I can't think of a good book off the top of my head that discusses these ideas about the divine... I'd actually like to find one myself to read!

Rioto_Kish

I thought Neopaganism was an umbrella term for the reconstructed belief systems from ca. 1950s. (I think I might be wrong here.)

I haven't heard that particular definition before, at least with respect to pegging a date onto it. There's a thread down here somewhere where definitions like this were discussed a bit; it might have fallen to page 2 now and it was titled "Putting the 'Neo' into Paganism" I believe.  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 11:20 pm
Oh, sorry! I wasn't quoting, but I read somewhere (I wish I could remember where!) that Neopaganism was like a large umbrella term for religious systems like Wicca and modern witchcraft, which were largely formed around the 1950s onwards. I wasn't sure if that was correct, though it kind of made sense. A little...

I think I'll read over the definitions again on Wikipedia, and see if I can find any other sites with descriptions of them as well.  

Rioto_Kish

Starlock
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 7:13 am
Sounds good. I applaud you for tackling the theological aspects of Neopagan systems, though. A fair enough number are into it just for the spell-slinging aspects that it gets lost that what one is doing is a religion. sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 11:17 pm
Sorry, I got a little lost on your last post Starlock...what did you mean by spell casting as a religion? That's not a religion, is it? I thought religion was the history of your beliefs, the spiritual side (sorry, my lack in ability to communicate thougts is showing again). I thought spell casting was like praying in Christianity: it doesn't constitute the entire religion. To be a Christian you (not always, I'm being a bit general here-no offense anyone!) believe in the birth, life and death of Christ, the Holy Trinity, the teachings of Christ, The Virgin Mary, His resurrection, the Bible teachings, etc. (I'm not sure if I've said this right-I'm not very knowledgeable about Christianity) Praying doesn't make you Christian, it's what your beliefs are that makes you Christian.

Please no one flame me if I've gotten this wrong!!!! gonk I was just trying to explain (badly) my thoughts. I didn't think there was a religion that was solely spell-casting. If there was, wouldn't that be kinda dangerous, considering there would be no moral guidlines for a person to follow?

If I have gotten anything wrong (and I probably have) please feel free to correct me. Really. I don't want to keep saying something I think is right when it's not and I'm actually offending people by saying it.  

Rioto_Kish

Starlock
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 8:55 am
Rioto_Kish
Sorry, I got a little lost on your last post Starlock...what did you mean by spell casting as a religion? That's not a religion, is it?

Oh, what I was speaking of in that post was the fact that there are those who are attracted to the Craft simply as a means to an ends, not an ends in itself. They use it as a tool (spells) to get what they want and the religious aspects of the Craft completely fly off their radar screen. Just persuing spellcasting is fine, but not so much if you call it Wicca, as Wicca is a religion first and foremost. It's more than just the spells.

Generally spell casting is not regarded as a religion in itself, though there can be some debate on that point... heh. Maybe I'll make another thread.  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 10:48 am
Have you ever looked into Lycian Wicca? It might interest you: http://www.lycianwicca.org/  

WebenBanu

Rioto_Kish

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 2:38 am
WebenBanu
Have you ever looked into Lycian Wicca? It might interest you: http://www.lycianwicca.org/

eek Oh, so THAT'S what Lycian Wicca is! I'd read the name before, but I had no idea what it was about.

I'm trying to read as much of the site as I can, but I'm still a little confused about it: if it's a Wiccan, um...branch, I suppose that's what it's called, would I be able to incorporate it into my beliefs? I've read about Wiccans not really appreciating solitaries blending their religion with aspects of others. However, Lycian Wicca does sound interesting...the Wolf Exercise is a really good way to discuss and exchange beliefs and thoughts, and to open up to the other covern members in a way too.

Just a question: are you a Lycian Witch? (Sorry if I'm being impertinent gonk -I'm not trying to be rude, I just like learning about all kinds of beliefs.)

About the focus on wolves in Lycian Wicca- are they the only animal that they follow, or do they communicate with all other animal spirits as well, and use the pack behaviours in order to overcome fears and to improve their lives and the coven's practices? (Sorry if I didn't explain that correctly-I'm terrible at self-expression, as Gypsy and Starlock know! Thank you for being so patient! blaugh )

Sorry, last question about Lycian Wicca- can it work for solitaries? I think the site said that solitary witches can follow Lycian Wicca, but what would I do for the coven practices/rituals? Would I just not perform them, and substitute other parts of my beliefs to compensate (well, not compensate exactly...I can't think of a better word, sorry) for the gaps?

Thank you for the link WebenBanu! blaugh I'm going to keep reading it and see if I can understand it better.  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 8:36 pm
[ Message temporarily off-line ]  

WebenBanu

Rioto_Kish

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 5:07 am
Thank you again, WebenBanu! 4laugh I'll have to read Seshen's website (I'd do it tonight, but I just came home from a school awards ceremony, and I'm exhausted! gonk ) thank you for the link!

Kemetic Reconstructionist? Wow, I read about that a little while ago-it sounds interesting. (Sorry, I say that about all paths... blaugh ) I love Ancient Egypt (I don't know how anyone could remember all the major deities: there's over 2000 in total, so there must be at least 100 major ones commonly communicated with!) I remember reading about Wepwawet when looking up wolf gods, and learnt that Wepwawet is often blended with Anubis' image. (I'm not sure what I was leading up to there, sorry...I thought I was going somewhere with that, but I lost it...my bad! sweatdrop )

Sorry, but for clarification (in case I misunderstood this): if I want to blend religious beliefs, I should study the cultures which followed these beliefs, and learn about how their ways of beliefs (would this include ceremonies, points of view, rituals, ways of living, etc?) in order to avoid 'clashing' beliefs and angering any gods. (I REALLY don't want any gods/goddesses angry with me! eek ... gonk

Thank you again, and I'll stay away from the reading section regarding Egyptian religions! 4laugh I'll keep an eye out for reputable companies/organizations and try to avoid any outdated information!  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 9:25 pm
Rioto_Kish
Thank you again, WebenBanu! 4laugh I'll have to read Seshen's website (I'd do it tonight, but I just came home from a school awards ceremony, and I'm exhausted! gonk ) thank you for the link!

Wow, congratulations!^_^

Rioto_Kish
Kemetic Reconstructionist? Wow, I read about that a little while ago-it sounds interesting. (Sorry, I say that about all paths... blaugh )

That's because they are all interesting. wink For as long as I can remember, I've been fascinated by the various world religions- and especially the ways in which people weave their beliefs and practices into their daily lives. Religion means very little if it doesn't affect the way you live, you know?

Rioto_Kish
I love Ancient Egypt (I don't know how anyone could remember all the major deities: there's over 2000 in total, so there must be at least 100 major ones commonly communicated with!) I remember reading about Wepwawet when looking up wolf gods, and learnt that Wepwawet is often blended with Anubis' image. (I'm not sure what I was leading up to there, sorry...I thought I was going somewhere with that, but I lost it...my bad! sweatdrop )

There are quite a few, indeed- and after the gods there are the spirits who are godlike but not quite gods, and the beloved dead who are revered but not quite worshiped... and a variety of other beings, as well, but you're really better off not encountering them.^_^ Most of us don't interact with all the gods though- even in ancient Egypt the only person who was really expected to have a working relationship with all of the gods was the king. Regular people usually had a small handful of gods Who were associated with their city, their craft, their family, and one or two which were really popular gods associated with home life. I have about eight gods and goddesses Who are a more or less constant presence in my life- three Who are more pronounced than the others, and two out of the three Who are my main focus. Others sometimes stop in for a visit or to pass on some needed information, but usually don't hang around for long.

Many of us do believe that Wepwawet and Yinepu (also known as Anpu or Anubis) are connected. Wepwawet itself is a title meaning "Opener of the Ways," and is often considered to be Yinepu in His active, "on duty" role. Wepwawet opens the way for many things- He opens the way for the dead to join the afterlife, He opens the way for ritual processions by walking at their head, and He is called upon at the beginning of most of our modern rites to open the way between ourselves and the gods. My understanding of the two is that Wepwawet will open the door for you- He will open new paths, new possibilities and opportunities for you, but you have to step through on your own. If you do, Yinepu is the one Who will walk with you down those paths.

However, the relationship between Wepwawet and Yinepu remains a little mysterious to me- it is true that Wepwawet as a title was used by Yinepu, but it was also used by Wsyr (Osiris). So is Wepwawet actually Yinepu, or is He Wsyr, or is He in fact a deity in His own right? For safety's sake, I usually treat Him as His own god (can't go wrong there!)- but I have certainly noticed that masks created to invoke Yinepu seem to also be able to bring Wepwawet, and one statue which I bought for Yinepu has ended up going back and forth between giving me a Wepwawet or a Yinepu Presence during my daily rites, depending on the situation.

Whether Wepwawet was a wolf god is somewhat controversial, as far as I can tell- there were no wolves in Egypt, and it's more likely that the wolf comparison was brought by the Greeks (who did have wolves in their home country) and that Wepwawet's animal is a jackal. However, my copy of Gods of Ancient Egypt by Barbara Watterson seems to think there's reason to believe He may have been a wolf at some point, so I'll have to check that against some other sources. I have certainly noticed a love of wolves among at least two of Yinepu and Wepwawet's devotees in the modern Kemetic community.^_^ The jackals of Wepwawet and Yinepu are often shown in paintings as wearing red ribbons around their necks, although these ribbons are sometimes painted gold in statuary.

Rioto_Kish
Sorry, but for clarification (in case I misunderstood this): if I want to blend religious beliefs, I should study the cultures which followed these beliefs, and learn about how their ways of beliefs (would this include ceremonies, points of view, rituals, ways of living, etc?) in order to avoid 'clashing' beliefs and angering any gods. (I REALLY don't want any gods/goddesses angry with me! eek ... gonk

Yes, it's a very good idea to study your deities and the ways of life which They taught to the last group of people who were in close contact with Them (it really helps to prevent misunderstandings, and also saves you from having to re-invent the wheel whenever you decide to interact with Them). The relationship between the gods and the people who worship Them today, like any other relationship, is something which is built- and you will get out of it what you put into it. It's a disturbing trend in modern Paganism that some people take an attitude toward the gods which would be, in my opinion, a disrespectful way to act towards a maid or a servant. Basically they give a brief look to a god's "qualifications" (i.e. a loose sketch of His or Her abilities and attributes), and decide on one (or more) that fits their purposes. They then proceed to call that deity into their lives, expecting Him or Her to meet all of their expectations, and grant blessings and protection- but insist that everything must be done in whatever way is most convenient to them because they can't be bothered to (or don't feel like they should have to) actually invest themselves in learning about the deity's way of life and teaching. I have actually heard it said that "If (insert god name here) wants my worship then S/He will learn to do things my way!" This is incredibly arrogant, disrespectful, and childish- best case scenario is that it will get you ignored, worst case... we won't go there.

However, that's not to say that you have to be fluent in your chosen deity's native language before you can attempt to talk to Him or Her- and not every ancient practice will be possible (or even legal, or desirable) in the modern world. If you understand what they did and why they did it, however, you will be able to make an educated decision on how to best continue the spirit of that action in the modern world. I think that what matters is the gesture- the attempt to meet Them halfway as you get to know each other. The cultures of the ancient gods are complex, fascinating subjects- and very few of us can devote ourselves full time to learning about them. Just fill your knowledge in as you go- a little reading here, a little reading there; your library can get you started with some good books, and there are communities online where you can go to ask for practical information and advice. We are all learning, all of the time, and no one will ever expect you to know all of it. What matters is the sincere gesture- a gift of devotion and respect which will be returned to you as a greatly enriched understanding of your chosen deity and His or Her way of interacting with the people. It's not always easy, but that is a part of the gift- most initiations of any sort require an ordeal, dedication, and discipline, and this is one of them.

There are many religions within the Pagan community, and all of them are different- but most of them emphasize personal accountability; they are not for the lazy or the weak minded. Dedicate yourself to them, however- learn to recognize their disciplines and their lessons for what they are, and you will learn a new way of living in the world which will show you possibilities which you would otherwise have never known were there. wink My experience has been that it is worth every minute of it.

Rioto_Kish
Thank you again, and I'll stay away from the reading section regarding Egyptian religions! 4laugh I'll keep an eye out for reputable companies/organizations and try to avoid any outdated information!

You're welcome, and if you do decide that you'd like to get in touch with Wepwawet- or any other Egyptian deity- here's a link which might help. The word "Ntjr" means "god," and when capitalized like it is on this page it tends to refer to the entire divine community as opposed to any particular deity. While the gods in ancient Egypt were quite varied, when it came down to the day-to-day observances in the temples Their ritual forms were very similar. The practice described here, along with support and guidance from an experienced community, is a good starting place for getting in touch with any of Them:

http://fyrekat.livejournal.com/4878.html

If you would like more information, tips, or experience from other Kemetics, this forum tends to be a good source.  

WebenBanu

Rioto_Kish

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 1:40 am
WebenBanu
Rioto_Kish

Wow, congratulations!^_^

Rioto_Kish
Kemetic Reconstructionist? Wow, I read about that a little while ago-it sounds interesting. (Sorry, I say that about all paths... blaugh )

That's because they are all interesting. wink For as long as I can remember, I've been fascinated by the various world religions- and especially the ways in which people weave their beliefs and practices into their daily lives. Religion means very little if it doesn't affect the way you live, you know?

Rioto_Kish
I love Ancient Egypt (I don't know how anyone could remember all the major deities: there's over 2000 in total, so there must be at least 100 major ones commonly communicated with!) I remember reading about Wepwawet when looking up wolf gods, and learnt that Wepwawet is often blended with Anubis' image. (I'm not sure what I was leading up to there, sorry...I thought I was going somewhere with that, but I lost it...my bad! sweatdrop )

There are quite a few, indeed- and after the gods there are the spirits who are godlike but not quite gods, and the beloved dead who are revered but not quite worshiped... and a variety of other beings, as well, but you're really better off not encountering them.^_^ Most of us don't interact with all the gods though- even in ancient Egypt the only person who was really expected to have a working relationship with all of the gods was the king. Regular people usually had a small handful of gods Who were associated with their city, their craft, their family, and one or two which were really popular gods associated with home life. I have about eight gods and goddesses Who are a more or less constant presence in my life- three Who are more pronounced than the others, and two out of the three Who are my main focus. Others sometimes stop in for a visit or to pass on some needed information, but usually don't hang around for long.

Many of us do believe that Wepwawet and Yinepu (also known as Anpu or Anubis) are connected. Wepwawet itself is a title meaning "Opener of the Ways," and is often considered to be Yinepu in His active, "on duty" role. Wepwawet opens the way for many things- He opens the way for the dead to join the afterlife, He opens the way for ritual processions by walking at their head, and He is called upon at the beginning of most of our modern rites to open the way between ourselves and the gods. My understanding of the two is that Wepwawet will open the door for you- He will open new paths, new possibilities and opportunities for you, but you have to step through on your own. If you do, Yinepu is the one Who will walk with you down those paths.

However, the relationship between Wepwawet and Yinepu remains a little mysterious to me- it is true that Wepwawet as a title was used by Yinepu, but it was also used by Wsyr (Osiris). So is Wepwawet actually Yinepu, or is He Wsyr, or is He in fact a deity in His own right? For safety's sake, I usually treat Him as His own god (can't go wrong there!)- but I have certainly noticed that masks created to invoke Yinepu seem to also be able to bring Wepwawet, and one statue which I bought for Yinepu has ended up going back and forth between giving me a Wepwawet or a Yinepu Presence during my daily rites, depending on the situation.

Whether Wepwawet was a wolf god is somewhat controversial, as far as I can tell- there were no wolves in Egypt, and it's more likely that the wolf comparison was brought by the Greeks (who did have wolves in their home country) and that Wepwawet's animal is a jackal. However, my copy of Gods of Ancient Egypt by Barbara Watterson seems to think there's reason to believe He may have been a wolf at some point, so I'll have to check that against some other sources. I have certainly noticed a love of wolves among at least two of Yinepu and Wepwawet's devotees in the modern Kemetic community.^_^ The jackals of Wepwawet and Yinepu are often shown in paintings as wearing red ribbons around their necks, although these ribbons are sometimes painted gold in statuary.

Rioto_Kish

Yes, it's a very good idea to study your deities and the ways of life which They taught to the last group of people who were in close contact with Them (it really helps to prevent misunderstandings, and also saves you from having to re-invent the wheel whenever you decide to interact with Them). The relationship between the gods and the people who worship Them today, like any other relationship, is something which is built- and you will get out of it what you put into it. It's a disturbing trend in modern Paganism that some people take an attitude toward the gods which would be, in my opinion, a disrespectful way to act towards a maid or a servant. Basically they give a brief look to a god's "qualifications" (i.e. a loose sketch of His or Her abilities and attributes), and decide on one (or more) that fits their purposes. They then proceed to call that deity into their lives, expecting Him or Her to meet all of their expectations, and grant blessings and protection- but insist that everything must be done in whatever way is most convenient to them because they can't be bothered to (or don't feel like they should have to) actually invest themselves in learning about the deity's way of life and teaching. I have actually heard it said that "If (insert god name here) wants my worship then S/He will learn to do things my way!" This is incredibly arrogant, disrespectful, and childish- best case scenario is that it will get you ignored, worst case... we won't go there.

However, that's not to say that you have to be fluent in your chosen deity's native language before you can attempt to talk to Him or Her- and not every ancient practice will be possible (or even legal, or desirable) in the modern world. If you understand what they did and why they did it, however, you will be able to make an educated decision on how to best continue the spirit of that action in the modern world. I think that what matters is the gesture- the attempt to meet Them halfway as you get to know each other. The cultures of the ancient gods are complex, fascinating subjects- and very few of us can devote ourselves full time to learning about them. Just fill your knowledge in as you go- a little reading here, a little reading there; your library can get you started with some good books, and there are communities online where you can go to ask for practical information and advice. We are all learning, all of the time, and no one will ever expect you to know all of it. What matters is the sincere gesture- a gift of devotion and respect which will be returned to you as a greatly enriched understanding of your chosen deity and His or Her way of interacting with the people. It's not always easy, but that is a part of the gift- most initiations of any sort require an ordeal, dedication, and discipline, and this is one of them.

There are many religions within the Pagan community, and all of them are different- but most of them emphasize personal accountability; they are not for the lazy or the weak minded. Dedicate yourself to them, however- learn to recognize their disciplines and their lessons for what they are, and you will learn a new way of living in the world which will show you possibilities which you would otherwise have never known were there. wink My experience has been that it is worth every minute of it.

Rioto_Kish

You're welcome, and if you do decide that you'd like to get in touch with Wepwawet- or any other Egyptian deity- here's a link which might help. The word "Ntjr" means "god," and when capitalized like it is on this page it tends to refer to the entire divine community as opposed to any particular deity. While the gods in ancient Egypt were quite varied, when it came down to the day-to-day observances in the temples Their ritual forms were very similar. The practice described here, along with support and guidance from an experienced community, is a good starting place for getting in touch with any of Them:

http://fyrekat.livejournal.com/4878.html

If you would like more information, tips, or experience from other Kemetics, this forum tends to be a good source.

blaugh Thank you! (Sorry, I don't know how to quote certain pieces of text, so I'll have to do my best like this. gonk )

Phew...I was worried that people would disapprove of me liking millions of paths. Everything is just so interesting, I learn heaps of new things ever day. blaugh .... and then I get myself confused because I get mixed up. gonk

This might be irrelevant, but speaking about Kemetic beliefs and Ancient Egyptian in general, I'm seriously considering on buying a gold ankh necklace. I have always loved and been fascinated by Egyptian symbols (especially ankhs) and so I am thinking of purchasing one. I know this sounds crazy, but when I wear symbolic jewellery, it gives me comfort (I know that this sounds superficial-I'm not trying to be! gonk I'm not a very superficial person- but even though I know that the gods/goddesses are immanent and therefore all around me, having a symbol that represents a piece of my beliefs close to me gives me assurance.) I'm not even sure why I need assurance...sorry, my non-coherent streak is coming out again! I'm not worried about people bashing me for it, (it's strange, but wearing Egyptian jewellery is cool, but wearing the pentacle is evil where I live. confused ) I also love the look of ankhs...sorry, waaaay off topic! gonk *slaps wrist*

Argh! I have to go for now! gonk I hope you don't think I'm superficial, I'll explain better when I get back. I promise I'll finish this later!  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 3:17 am
Hello again! Sorry for leaving mid-post...

eek ... gonk Oh, you have to be joking: Someone has actually been so arrogant as to say that if a GOD/ESS wants to be worshipped by them, then they will have to learn to do things their way???? gonk Okay, I may be new, and still completely ignorant about heaps of things, but even I know that this person just redefined 'all-time low.' Do they honestly think that a god/godess cares if someone doesn't worship them? A deity isn't going to kowtow to some pagan/Wiccan/witch (I'm saying all three in case someone gets offended by being called 'pagan') no matter what the person does. I'm not saying that we should grovel at their feet like a servant: rather we should work WITH them, but always ensuring that we follow their practices and rituals (the practices were around WAY longer than I was, so I would just being arrogant and rude if I thought I could make them change just for my sake) and remembering that all deities/spirits are more powerful than us. Sorry, what I'm trying to say is respect them at all times, but don't be a slave. On the other hand, I will NEVER assume that I can control the will of the gods/spirits and make them do my will. I don't even want to think about what the consequences of thinking this would be.... gonk (I thought about it: I couldn't help it! I think my heart stopped beating at the thought...okay, breathe...sorry)

I am going to do some serious research about various deities/spirits. I just got quite a lot of money in bursaries from Awards Night, birthday money (I'm seventeen today) and from working 8:30-5 yesterday, so I'm saving most of it, but I also have a book voucher, so I might use some of my money and my voucher to buy some good books and a deck of Tarot cards (I'm really interested in divination, mainly Tarot and runes) plus an ankh. Having a deck would enable me to learn how to do readings. Oh, I was wondering, can you use the Tarot to see whether (can I say 'calling a certain god?' or is calling not the right word to use? I'm not sure) a certain god/ess/spirit for a ritual/spell (waaay down the track, don't worry) is a good idea, before you actually perform the ritual? Or do you need to call on any deities/spirits in order to read the Tarot?

I'm going to save up, and next year (I'm starting uni next year, so hopefully I'll be able to work more) I'll be able to get my hands on more books about the different religions/cultures/gods/esses and I'll be able to study more.

I wish my local library was more useful...they have maybe 25 books in the entire building under 'Philosophy' and only 5 are of any relevance. Most of them are the kind of books written purely for people looking for a 'quick-fix spell' for their love lives. Considering I don't believe in love spells (I don't mess with what is not mine to touch) these are not helpful to me. I've gone through them to see if any had any information, but they don't talk about the religious side of it, just the spell aspect. It's very sad.

I borrowed three books from the section (I don't have them with me, so if the titles are somewhat incorrect, I apologise):

'To Ride a Silver Broomstick' by Silver RavenWolf
'Every Woman a Witch' by Cassandra (something, sorry!)

and a yoga book. Not paganism, I know, but some of the breathing exercises helped me to focus really well, so I thought that if it didn't clash with what I'm trying to do, I could mix the yoga aspects with meditation to help me focus.

I've read some comments criticising(sp?) RavenWolf, so I just went through the book, taking everything with a grain of salt.

Dammit, I've got to go! I'll be back again...  

Rioto_Kish

Rioto_Kish

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 4:03 am
I'm SO sorry! (This is starting to get me confused!) Okay, back again. (Hopefully, I can finish the post...where was I? Okay, I remember now...)

I read RavenWolf's book (not entirely, but the parts relevant to me) and she did seem to focus a bit on the physical aspects of witchcraft. For example, what people usually have in their collection of spell items (there were several rare sounding items, and I was just thinking-'but wouldn't people's items vary depending on their beliefs/practices?' However, several things did coincide with what I've read elsewhere, so it wasn't too bad. I haven't read much of the other one, but it's okay, from what I've seen of it.

I'll have to look for some webpages (reputable ones, and I'll check any information I find with other sites) about ancient cultures. I might start with some Egyptian, because of Wepwawet: if I ever become confident enough in myself and my knowledge to perform a dedication ritual, would Wepwawet be a good choice to invite to oversee the ritual, because in a way I am beginning a new path in my life and opening a new aspect. Then again, I wouldn't invite him until I'd read and understood more about the culture/beliefs of the people who 'worshipped' him. (Not sure if worship is a good word, because of the topic before...then again, I think the Ancient Egyptians believed that their gods were transcendent...I'll have to look that up and refresh my memory) Anyway, I can start learning about Wepwawet, and branch out with more deities when I gain confidence before I decide which deity/spirit to ask to watch over my ritual. (If I ever perform it! blaugh )

Thank you for the links! I love discussing beliefs with other like-minded people (okay, not all think like me, but believe in similar things, kind of...!) so I'll definitely check this site out and read as much as I can.

Sorry for my 'disjointed-ness' tonight. It's my birthday today, so I've been talking to relatives on the phone and celebrating with my family, and have had to stop and start. Thank you for being so patient with me!  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 1:03 pm
Rioto_Kish

Can you use the Tarot to see whether (can I say 'calling a certain god?' or is calling not the right word to use? I'm not sure) a certain god/ess/spirit for a ritual/spell (waaay down the track, don't worry) is a good idea, before you actually perform the ritual? Or do you need to call on any deities/spirits in order to read the Tarot?

There are different philosophies I've seen in terms of how the cards work. By and large, most I've seen do not see calling upon deities neccesary to do a reading. More often I see recommendations to clear your mind, ground and center... that sort of thing. In my own readings, I often call upon the Spirit of the Cards themselves but that is usually it. It's sort of my way of paying respect to the tool and making it more than "just a tool" but something magical and with its own essence. If my question relates to a specific deity, I might then call upon their influence, but I wouldn't do it all the time. Those who have a patron might always call on their patron to act as a guardian for their readings.

Oh, and a hint with local libraries... most of them are more than willing to get materials in for you from other libraries. They also take suggestions of new books to add to the collection!

For what you did find, I've only read the one by Ravenwolf. I read it mostly because I wanted to see what the big deal was and once I was done I honestly didn't get it. Aside from the blatant historical innacuracies (which *most* Neopagan books have... I don't care who the author is), the writing style is aimed for the teenage crowd and I thought the voice of the book was appropriate for the target audience. Wouldn't put her on a "recommended reading" list other than for someone to get an apprechiation of the diversity of authors out there.

The other book and author I'm not familiar with. As a general rule of thumb, check the works cited (bibliography) in every New Age book you scope out. I'm always more impressed with authors who cite good books on folklore or science books that aren't shelved in the New Age section than I am with authors who only cite other New Age books or frequently cite themselves. xd

On yoga... I don't know a ton about it, but after doing a breeze-through on Hinduism, I know enough to know that the West has taken the tradition out of context. You might want to take a brief look at Hinduism and what yoga is designed to accomplish and the different types of yoga. The purpose of yoga is in line with that of Hinduism in general: to dispell the illusion of the fininte self to the enlightened state that all is one and infinite. The yoga most known by Westerners is physical in nature, but there are may more forms of yoga than just physical exercises.  

Starlock
Crew

Rioto_Kish

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 2:07 am
I'm too sure if I'll be allowed to get books from another library. (Where I live, pagan religions are against the law, and that's not an exaggeration: anything that is not 'recognized' by the government is deemed illegal and can result in jail time. Talk about medieval beliefs... stare ) I might have to go and borrow the books myself, instead of getting a transfer.

Yes, I didn't really like RavenWolf's book- I mean, it was okay, to see it from another perspective, but...I don't know, it didn't seem right for me. The other one wasn't much better, though it seemed a bit better than RavenWolf's book. Maybe I'm being overly critical... sweatdrop

I understand what you mean about the yoga being taken out of context. The book I picked up was called 'Yoga for Slimmers.' Enough said. I might have a look at Hinduism anyway when I can, and see what I can find of the original meaning and purpose of yoga. The book does describe some spiritual aspects, but half of the pages are about slimming and dieting, which isn't what I was interested in. Worst comes to worst, I will lose some inches with the book's exercises! blaugh

About the Tarot...when I can buy a deck (I'm going to spend a lot of time finding one, so I can find one that I'm drawn to) should I do a meditation/ritual before reading them to ask (someone!) to watch over the reading and me? Or is this a bad idea? I probably wouldn't ask a deity to watch over me every time I did a reading, but would having a presence of some kind help me?  
The Lavender Lounge .: Questions and Assistance :.

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games