Welcome to Gaia! ::

Friends of English Magic - for readers and fans of fantasy

Back to Guilds

A guild for fans of fantasy books - we have discussions, contests, and games! 

Tags: english, fantasy, magic, book, scifi 

Reply dead threads - do not post
First Line Of Your Favorite Book? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

DerringerMeryl87

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 8:26 pm
it depends on how you look at it. (i wonder did anyone else get that?)
the first line is either
This is my favorite book in all the world, though I have never read it.

or

The year that Buttercup was born, the most beautiful woman in the world was a French sculler maid named Annette.

-The Princess Bride, William Goldman

the first one is more really an author's note or something to that effect. however some of the humor is lost if you don't read it first.  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 9:19 am
Depends on how you look at it; every chapter starts with a poem or somesuch. Thus:

"The ancient wars of the T'lan Imass and the Jaghut saw the world torn asunder." - the first line of the prologue's "poem".

"Swallows darted through the clouds of midges dancing over the mudflats." - the first line of the prologue.

"The bridge's Gadrobi limestone blocks lay scattered, scorched and broken in the bank's churned mud, as if a god's hand had swept down to shatter the stone span in a single, petty gesture of contempt." - first line of the book proper.

All of it from Memories of Ice, by Steven Erikson.  

Suneagle

Friendly Regular

Mattheis Hiashin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 3:34 pm
"The man in black fled across the desert..."

..The GD's..
"The man in black fled across the desert and the gunslinger followed." -"The Gunslinger" from the Dark Tower Series by Stephen King.

xD I think that was pretty obvious. *points to avatar, sig, and post style*
..Last Gunslinger..

"...And the gunslinger followed."

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 7:09 pm
I don't feel like getting the book right now...so I'll just say the line from the book I'm currently reading.

"The funny thing about facing imminent death is that it really snaps everything into perspective. Take right now, for instance.
I gulped deep lungfuls of air. My brain was on hyperdrive; I was racing for my life."

---Maximum Ride--The Angel Experiment

ALEX TIMES 4

Flame_Knight000

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 12:26 pm
My favorite book would have to be Eldest of the Inheritance series. The first book of the series Eragon was pretty good but Eldest was really good. I can't wait for the third book of the series to come out.  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 1:29 pm
"Oliver had won the toss for the girl." -Kingdom of the Grail
I love how naughty/disgusting it sounds xDDDDD  

Asparegus

Brokeded9

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 12:24 pm
"She didn't remember dying."

Faith of the Fallen - by Terry Goodkind  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 1:44 pm
All it is, is a little pressure. And just like that everything changes.

From Head games by Mariah Fredericks. I know it sounds wrong but it relates to an entierly diffrent subject.  

Wicked Book Wolf

zaraki - kenpachi

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 9:45 pm
I'm not going to post the first line of my favorite book, but rather I'm going to post my favorite part of my favorite book. For those who read the book be warned because It may not be exactly as it is written in the book since I'm writting it from memory. It should be pretty close though. The book is Terry Goodkind's Faith of the fallen.

WARNING: The rest of this post may be percieved by some as a spoiler. I personally don't think it gives away enough to ruin the enjoyment of the book, but I shall leave the decision to procede up to you.

"You are ruled," Richard said in a voice that rang out over the multitude, "by mean little men."
The people gasped as one. To speak out against a brother was treason, most likely, and heresy for sure.
"My crime?" Richard asked aloud. "I have given you something beautiful to see, daring to hold the conviction that you have a right to see it if you wish, worse.... I have said that your lives are your own to live."
A rolling murmur swept out through the multitude. Richard's voice rose in power, demanding in its clarity to be heard above the whispering.
"Evil is not one large entity, but a collection of countless, small depravities brought up from the muck by petty men. Living under the order, you have traded the enrichment of vision, for a gray fog of mediocrity - the furtile inspiration of striving and growth, for mindless stagnation and slow decay - the brave new ground of the attempt, for the timid quagmire of apathy."
With gazes riveted and lips still, the crowd listened. Richard gestured out over their heads with his sledge hammer, wielded with the effortless grace of a royal sword.
"You have traded freedom not even for a bowl of soup, but worse, for the spoken empty feelings of others who say you deserve to have a full bowl of soup provided by someone else."
"Happiness, joy, accomplishment, achievement are not finite commodities, to be divided up. Is a child's laughter to be divided up and alloted? No! Simply make more laughter!"
Laughter, pleased laughter rippled through the crowd. Brother Narev's scowl grew " we've heard enough of your extremist rambling! Destroy your profane statue. Now."
Richard cocked his head. "oh? The collective assembly of the order, and of brothers, fears to hear what one insignificant man could say? You fear mere words that much, Brother Narev?"
Dark eyes stole a glance at the crowd as they leaned forward eager to hear his answer.
"We fear no words. Virtue is on our side and will prevail. Spak your blasphemy, so all may understand why moral people will side against you."
Richard smiled out at the people, but he spoke with brutal honesty.
"Every persons life is theirs by right. An individuals life must belong only to himself, not to any society or community, or he is then but a slave. No one can deny a person their right to their life, nor seize by force what is provided by someone else, because that is stealing their means to sustain their life. It is treason against mankind to hold a knife to a mans throat and dictate how he must live his life. No society can be more important than the individuals who compose it, or else you ascribe supreme importance, not to man, but to any notion that strikes the fancy of that society, at a never ending cost of lives. Reason and reality are the only means to just laws; mindless wishes, if given sovereignty, become deadly masters."
"Surrendering reason to faith in these men sanctions their use of force to enslave you - to murder you. You have the power to decide how you will live your own life. These mean little men uo here are but cockroaches if you say they are. They have no power to control you but that which you grant them!"
Richard pointed back at the statue. "This is life, your life, to live as you choose." He swept the head of his sledgehammer around in an arc, pointing at the carvings up on the walls. "This is what the order offers you: death."
"We've heard enough of your blasphemy!" Brother Narev shrieked. "Destroy your evil creation now, or die!" The spears rose.
Richard calmly swept a fearless glance around at the guards, then stepped to his statue. Nicci's heart was pounding against her ribs. She didn't want it destroyed, it was to good to destroy. This couldn't be happening. They couldn't take this away. Richard rested the sledgehammer across his shoulder. He lifted his other arm up to the statue as he adressed the crowd one last time.
"This is what the order is taking from you - your humanity, your individuality, your freedom to live your own life."
Richard touched the sledgehammer to his forehead. With a mighty swing, the steel head arced around. Nicci could hear the air whistle. The entire statue seemed to shudder as the sledgehammer struck the base with a thunderous boom.
In a moment of brittle silence, she heard the faintest sound, the ripping popping crackling whisper of the stone itself. Then, the entire statue crashed down in a roar of fragments and billowing white dust.
The officials at the back of the plaza cheered. The guards hooted and hollered as they waved their weapons in the air.
They were the only ones. The crowd was dead silent as dust rolled out across the plaza. All their hope, embodied in the statue, had just been destroyed.
Nicci stared in a daze. Her throat contricted with the agony of it. Her eyes waterd. They all watched, as if having just witnessed a tragic, pointless death.
The guards moved towards Richard with hackles. Down closer to the steps, a clear voive rang out from the stunned crowd. "No! We'll not stand for it!"
In the gathering darkness, Nicci saw the man who yelled. He was up close to the front, furiously fighting his way through the crowd to get to the plaza.
It was the blacksmith Mr. Cascella.
"We'll not stand for it!" He roared. "I'll not let you enslave me any longer! Do you hear? I'm a free man! A free man!
The entire mass of people before the plaza broke out in a deafening roar. And then, as one, they lunged forward.

In altur' Rang there was a new spirit.
In the former heart of the order, beat freedom.  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:07 pm
Many years later, as he faced the firing squad, Colonel Aureliano Buendia was to remember that distant afternoon when his father took him to discover ice.
- One Hundred Years of Solitude; Gabriel Garcia Marquez.

How can you not love a book that starts out in three different time periods? blaugh  

Naridae

Sita Harker
Captain

6,000 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 8:01 am
"Meg and Belch were doing a job."
-The Wish List  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 6:14 pm
"She screams." - The Dark by Marianne Curley.

Awesome love story.  

[.Medical.Sideffect.]

Emi-dono

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 9:03 pm
I have too many favorite books to pick just one but since this one is closest at hand:

"It was an odd-looking vine." -Wizard's First Rule by Terry Goodkind  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 9:33 pm
blurred_grey_line
Many years later, as he faced the firing squad, Colonel Aureliano Buendia was to remember that distant afternoon when his father took him to discover ice.
- One Hundred Years of Solitude; Gabriel Garcia Marquez.

How can you not love a book that starts out in three different time periods? blaugh

Great choice, probably one of the best oppening lines ever written.  

fireandice13

dead threads - do not post

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces