Submit

Gold?
  Gold!
View Results

Jameta
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 2:34 pm
Jammeh's Two Cents:

If (most) different kind of people and animals can get along, why cannot deities, divine being, or other eretheral entities? As noted, conflicts in character and traits should be respected (you wouldn't want to put a snake and mongoose together), but also make sure things make sense. I wouldn't ask Mr. Nazereth to meet with Osiris randomly, for instance. I mean, they'd probably get along, but it might be really awkard without a purpose for the two to be interacting with one another.  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 9:19 pm
Jameta
Jammeh's Two Cents:

If (most) different kind of people and animals can get along, why cannot deities, divine being, or other eretheral entities? As noted, conflicts in character and traits should be respected (you wouldn't want to put a snake and mongoose together), but also make sure things make sense. I wouldn't ask Mr. Nazereth to meet with Osiris randomly, for instance. I mean, they'd probably get along, but it might be really awkard without a purpose for the two to be interacting with one another.

I can absolutely understand you point. The only thing I'd watch, though, is that some deities and even some entire pantheons have a history of not being so agreeable. Trojan war, anyone? wink I think that while it may be that nothing will go wrong, in these situations it's better to err on the side of caution. That being said, there's not necessarily anything wrong with asking deities to come together.  

midara the happy banshee

Jameta
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 7:58 am
midara the happy banshee
Jameta
Jammeh's Two Cents:

I can absolutely understand you point. The only thing I'd watch, though, is that some deities and even some entire pantheons have a history of not being so agreeable. Trojan war, anyone? wink I think that while it may be that nothing will go wrong, in these situations it's better to err on the side of caution. That being said, there's not necessarily anything wrong with asking deities to come together.
That's why I pointed out the 'snake/mongoose' thingy, and the whole making sense. I just used a different type of example because it isn't thought of as much. sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 4:10 am
Mongoose! O.o

Wow, many varried points and opinions eek

Okay, So now another question comes to mind, and I figure I might as well use this same threat since it's in the same catagory..

What if two deities from two cultures come to you...?

Y'see, Hades (Greek) and I click well enough, but, at the same time, so do Anubis (Egypt) and I, but their both deities dealing with death...

So far I've asked neither to meet with the other, but... I have a feeling Hades isn't too happy with competition anyways O.o *hides behind Demeter* This I believe because of a dream which I won't go into detail but yea, Hades was not happy and Demeter had to step in. T'was not fun. I'll elaborate the 'Angry Hades' dream if anyone wants me to but for now I'll hold my tongue on it.  

Anabis

Monster Mage

21,250 Points
  • Novice Mage 100
  • Budding Witch 250
  • Ghost Hunter 250

Starlock
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 9:39 am
Anabis

Have them thumb wrestle to see who wins?  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 5:58 pm
Starlock
Anabis

Have them thumb wrestle to see who wins?
XD! Thank you, SO much. You just made my day a whole lot better :3 *hugs*  

Anabis

Monster Mage

21,250 Points
  • Novice Mage 100
  • Budding Witch 250
  • Ghost Hunter 250

midara the happy banshee

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 7:09 pm
Anabis
Mongoose! O.o

Wow, many varried points and opinions eek

Okay, So now another question comes to mind, and I figure I might as well use this same threat since it's in the same catagory..

Y'see, Hades (Greek) and I click well enough, but, at the same time, so do Anubis (Egypt) and I, but their both deities dealing with death...

So far I've asked neither to meet with the other, but... I have a feeling Hades isn't too happy with competition anyways O.o *hides behind Demeter* This I believe because of a dream which I won't go into detail but yea, Hades was not happy and Demeter had to step in. T'was not fun. I'll elaborate the 'Angry Hades' dream if anyone wants me to but for now I'll hold my tongue on it.

Well, needless to say, you definitely want to avoid pissing either of them off. I think you seriously need to ask Hades what it is he'd have you do, and then ask the same of Anubis. Hopefully some sort of agreement can be reached. If not, you may have to make a tough choice about who to worship. I do think, though that they may be willing to work things out, especially since the Hellenic and Kemetic pantheons were on fairly good terms at the height of their power.  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 12:08 pm
I don't really agree with hybridisation of different cultures as they are sorta like inauthentic corruptions of real religions. However that is from a reconstructionist point of view, and most neo-pagan religions are made up of new-ish ideas and cultural hybrids (reconstructionist religions are paleo-pagan faiths), and don't claim to be authentic ancient pagan religions, but rather new faiths (hence the "neo")

I personally try to stick to the Celtic faith as much as possible, although on one occassion I prayed to Saxon god Thunor in German because I believed his power would be greater in East England, since gods are often tied to locations (I consider the Celtic gods to have stronger links to Wales, Scotland, and Cornwall though of course they still have power in England). Plus I also follow certain concepts of Dharmic religions, but I never try to mix the religions together.

It's up to each individual whether they mix religious concepts and pantheons, but I believe that is what separates neo-pagans from pagan reconstructionists  

Caerwiden

Anabis

Monster Mage

21,250 Points
  • Novice Mage 100
  • Budding Witch 250
  • Ghost Hunter 250
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 3:12 pm
Caerwiden
I don't really agree with hybridisation of different cultures as they are sorta like inauthentic corruptions of real religions. However that is from a reconstructionist point of view, and most neo-pagan religions are made up of new-ish ideas and cultural hybrids (reconstructionist religions are paleo-pagan faiths), and don't claim to be authentic ancient pagan religions, but rather new faiths (hence the "neo")

I personally try to stick to the Celtic faith as much as possible, although on one occassion I prayed to Saxon god Thunor in German because I believed his power would be greater in East England, since gods are often tied to locations (I consider the Celtic gods to have stronger links to Wales, Scotland, and Cornwall though of course they still have power in England). Plus I also follow certain concepts of Dharmic religions, but I never try to mix the religions together.

It's up to each individual whether they mix religious concepts and pantheons, but I believe that is what separates neo-pagans from pagan reconstructionists

I didn't mean mix them all up for a new faith, I meant working with both, Cause I've had 'visits' from three deities of two different patheons and it's like 'well... they came to me o.o now what'

But yea, I can see how staying within one faith would be benificial, less deities to keep up-to-date with. @.@;  
Sacred Sources -The Outer Forum -

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff