Welcome to Gaia! ::

Craftin' - A sewing, knitting and glue kind of place.

Back to Guilds

Reply Craftin'
Christmas Presents ~ Its never too early! Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Presents.
  Mostly bought
  Mostly made
  half and half
  Made for the special people only
View Results

Trekkette

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 5:04 pm
ForestGreen
My mom already has her Christmas gift. I bought it in August and gave it to her before I could lose it.
My daughter will probably be getting donation letters again this year since she's a Gaian too. I may make a hat for her to match the scarf I just finished.
My husband and I will probably sign a "no gift pact" again this year. He thinks he's terrible at buying gifts so he doesn't. The few times he's tried have been disasters. I think it's a mental block.
The ferrets will probably get some new toys to play with, and a donation to the ferret shelter in their names.
I might get myself some yarn to make myself a gift.

I wanna be your daughter...
Most of the gifts I give are dollar store things fancied up. I may sew some stuff for my friends. There was some AMAZING dragon print silky stuff on sale at Fabricland and I was going to get some and make stuff out of it for my friends.
Of course, the only craft I can do is sewing (I REALLY wanna learn to knit...)so I run out of ideas quickly.  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 10:19 am
canadian_trekkie

I wanna be your daughter...
Most of the gifts I give are dollar store things fancied up. I may sew some stuff for my friends. There was some AMAZING dragon print silky stuff on sale at Fabricland and I was going to get some and make stuff out of it for my friends.
Of course, the only craft I can do is sewing (I REALLY wanna learn to knit...)so I run out of ideas quickly.

I sew too. 3nodding Heres some of my suggestions, if you'd like to sew for people's presents.

I don't know about where you live, but here blankets are always popular. I mean, while it doesn't get as cold as some of you guys say cold is (in fact, i'll be complaining about the cold, and you'll tell me my cold is your warm), but for those of us born and raised here, its freezing. blaugh I can pull out a blanket super fast.

Simple purses, tote bags, things like that, are surprisingly easy if you have a good pattern. I suggest simplicity, and go for the ones that look, well, simple. Girls love them, esspecially if you match the fabric to them.

One of my easiest and cheapest gifts ever was the year i made some of my friends patches for their backpacks. I simply took a base fabric, cut out the designs from other fabrics, fray-checked the edges of the cut out fabric, and either sewed or unique-stitched, or sometimes both for added stability, the designs to the base fabric. They were a huge hit, people loved their incredably unique patches. (once again, these were mostly girls, who liked the little bunny i made them and put it on their backpack as soon as they got home)

The hardest part of each of the presents is figuring out what to do for them. 3nodding  

kochi~mochi

4,750 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Friendly 100
  • First step to fame 200

I be me
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 7:45 pm
I haven't even thaught about christmas presents yet. but I supose I better start thinking.

mum mum - clothing from the store I work at - because I have a job now.
brother brother - wallet (me buying him a wallet every year is the only reason he doesn't have a fallen appart wallet)
Step mum mum - fudge or cookies or both and I don't know what else, step mums are hard
Setp sister - fudge or cookies or both - or I would like to make her a picknic blanket, or a new nappy bag, or something practical to help her look after her two little monkeys
Two little monkeys - Sock monkeys! I want to make them matching fleece blankies but that might be too expencive.
Step brother big - coushins or teatowels or other household stuff - plus fudge or cookies or both
Step brother little - fudge or cookies or both
New friend - (I just moved to a new city in a new state so I am far too happy about having ONE friend) donation letter.  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 9:02 pm
~
I'm making hollow books for a couple of my girlfriends, a small really simple lap quilt for one, probably buying a neat mod apron for another. I'm also making a dog vest as a christmas favor (a friend wants to give it to a friend's dog).
My boyfriends, well one is getting hardware for his hobby so I really can't make that; the other is likely to get new pillows and linens or new kitchen stuff.
My BF's pussums is probably getting catnip toys and a walker harness or a cushy cat bed.

However my family? I have NO idea really.
Maybe some fun notebooks and pens and things for my sister, something to do with stamps, the maritimes or Canadian History for my father. My mother however, my mum is a hard one, maybe I will make her a lap blankie too, with popcorn appliques XD

Usually I make a couple things and buy the rest each year.

~

Tes

Blue-eyes-green

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 9:21 am
For the past few years I've been crafting 80-90% of my presents- but this year I'm a senior in college and everyone's getting books or movies and will hopefully be happy about it. Except my sister's going to get a beaded neckless I'm making.

I love the giving the guys in the dorm cookies idea- I think it would go over really well. My pod (the nine other girls who share a common room with me) is going to do a secret santa- i may craft something for them.  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 4:28 pm
Well I've been working on my list since July, though I only started it recently.

Dr. Davies - Clapotis scarf - FINISHED
Nina and her gf Melissa - matching sweaters
blueray_dragon_girl - sweater
Danielle - hat & scarf set - hat finished, scarf bout half way
Carmen - ?? i wanna make a purse or something
Nephie - wrist warmers - FINISHED
Mom - quickie vest

Time isn't an issue for me because I'm allowed to knit while at work, so thats 12-15 hours a week I can get in. I have a project planned for myself to wear for the holiday too, and I'm debating trying to whip out some legwarmers really quick cuz its frickin COLD when the wind blows here and my mass-produced ones aren't holding up so well. My sister has strictly forbidden me to knit her anything. Ever. Again.

I be me - how old are these 'monkeys'? Cuz I have a diaper bag knitting pattern that wouldn't take you much time.  

gemini6184

Lee Kushrenada

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:57 am
well for my frineds who knit, what I think I'm going to do is take a ether a disposable cup (the clear one's that you put cold drink's in that have the dome lid's) and stick a sticker on it that says cop-o-scarf and put a ball of yarn in it with a pare of knitting needles sticking out of the top, or if there a close frined I might even use a real mug.

for my sister, I think I am going to sow her a bath robe. she asked if I could make her one the last time she was here when she saw my kimono, and I think that would be easy enough.

I might make one for my mom too... but I don't know I might just knit her a scarf.

I was thinking about knitting a sweater for my dad...but he has yet to put on the one I bot for him last year. scream
he's one of those really practical people that are really hard to shop for, and I don't want to put that much time into making something he's never going to use.  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 12:04 pm
Lee Kushrenada
well for my frineds who knit, what I think I'm going to do is take a ether a disposable cup (the clear one's that you put cold drink's in that have the dome lid's) and stick a sticker on it that says cop-o-scarf and put a ball of yarn in it with a pare of knitting needles sticking out of the top, or if there a close frined I might even use a real mug.

That is such a cute idea! whee

I have to say though the best part about giving cookies is that once you get the dough made you can do something else (like homework rolleyes ) durring the rest of the time it takes to bake them.  

Phishy

Dapper Genius

kochi~mochi

4,750 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Friendly 100
  • First step to fame 200
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 12:30 pm
Lee Kushrenada

for my sister, I think I am going to sow her a bath robe. she asked if I could make her one the last time she was here when she saw my kimono, and I think that would be easy enough.

I might make one for my mom too... but I don't know I might just knit her a scarf.

I was thinking about knitting a sweater for my dad...but he has yet to put on the one I bot for him last year. scream
he's one of those really practical people that are really hard to shop for, and I don't want to put that much time into making something he's never going to use.

If he didn't wear the one you bought him last year, i wouldn't make him one. If your looking for a scarf pattern, try using a bulky yarn, large needles, and a seed stitch for him. i recommend 15-19 stitches.  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 3:11 pm
I think I'll make up a bunch of scarves .. super simple to do, the pattern is from Stich 'n b***h Crochet: Happy Hooker. It's 3 rows of double crochet (203 in length) with shells around it. Simple but very nice looking. I actually got the pattern at Michaels. I'll make them in a nice wool (Cascade 220).

I also want to make up some tunisian hot pads and maybe some microwave pot holders (covers fingertips only).

NOthing fancy .. I don't have the patience for large projects. smile  

taligator

gemini6184

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 4:11 pm
Lee Kushrenada

Slippers 3nodding Take very little time to make, use up yarn in your stash, and he can't ever complain his feet are cold. I made a pair for my boyfriend and he said they fit like a glove (yeah yeah I know about the curse, but hes been dying to find something for me to knit him he can actually WEAR without frying) I would highly suggest tho, that you make little squiggles in puffy paint on the bottoms when youre done - that way they won't quite live up to their namesake sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 12:14 am
gemini6184
Lee Kushrenada

Slippers 3nodding Take very little time to make, use up yarn in your stash, and he can't ever complain his feet are cold. I made a pair for my boyfriend and he said they fit like a glove (yeah yeah I know about the curse, but hes been dying to find something for me to knit him he can actually WEAR without frying) I would highly suggest tho, that you make little squiggles in puffy paint on the bottoms when youre done - that way they won't quite live up to their namesake sweatdrop

though those look really cool and I might just have to make some...I don't think I could ever see my dad wearing those. sweatdrop  

Lee Kushrenada

gemini6184

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 8:29 am
Lee Kushrenada
gemini6184
Lee Kushrenada

though those look really cool and I might just have to make some...I don't think I could ever see my dad wearing those. sweatdrop
well theres always gift cards sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 9:20 am
I am giving my dad an apron and my sis a pair of pj pants.....i haven't figured out farther then that I should probably get on that!!!!  

sparklingbutterfly

x_dreamweaver_x

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 2:46 pm
I was going to knit all of my family preasants, but my knitting right now is too bussy. I'm knitting baby hats for a homeless shelter (we have to do a servise project at school) I promised a girl a cell phone case, another girl a scarf, I have an Irish Hiking Scarf on the needles, and I'm completely obsessed with making fuzzy scrunchies mrgreen

I have my knitting for next year though...
Dad: nike swoosh sweater
Sister: Knee high Harry Potter socks (Ravenclaw) )and Ravenclaw scarf
Aunt: Intarsia heart pillow
Cousin on my moms side: beanie
Cousin on my moms side: Rockstar scarf
Uncle: Fishermens rib scarf
Cousin on my dads side: belt bag
Cousin on my dads side: cabled hat
Uncle: golf club cozies
Auntie: teapot cozy
Grandma: mock cable scarf (blue)
Grandpa: scrunchable scarf (red)