Welcome to Gaia! ::

+ The Official 'Got Goth?' Guild +

Back to Guilds

Tags: goth, subculture, alternative 

Reply ~ Main Forum ~
Hot Topic: Truly mallcore, or just another clothing shop? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

"OMG I just bought 10 pairs of combat boots from Hot Topic. I'M SO GOTH! ^_^"
  (Ignore)
  (Take said boots and shove 'em where the sun don't shine)
  "Well congratulations, you're also a broken moron :D"
View Results

LAAG

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 9:33 am
Honestly, I look at Hottopic and all I see is a goth version of American Eagle, or Aeropostle. I try to honestly stay away from most brand names, but stop worrying what everyones going to say and wear what you like and feels comfterble.  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 9:45 am
I have an FMA shirt and a Metallica shirt from Hot Topic. It's funny, though, Hot Topic is run by I think it's abercrombie and fitch or aeropostale, one. ******** prep stores trying to market goth s**t. I stopped going when I saw a "Pink Is The New Black" shirt there. Now i go to Spencers!  

Elochai Sammael

chinagrl777

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 10:28 am
Isel
Yeah, it's just another clothing store.

I don't shop there because there's not one that's close enough for me to want to go there... but if I did live close enough, I'd maybe drop in once in a while to get a patch or something.

It's not the clothing itself, it's how you wear it.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 11:28 am
Odin The Accursed
I have an FMA shirt and a Metallica shirt from Hot Topic. It's funny, though, Hot Topic is run by I think it's abercrombie and fitch or aeropostale, one. ******** prep stores trying to market goth s**t. I stopped going when I saw a "Pink Is The New Black" shirt there. Now i go to Spencers!

It's run by the Gap.  

-Isel-

-Resurrected Writer-
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 12:37 pm
Odin The Accursed

Well really if they're trying both audiences, then they're neither prep nor goth, just trying to pilfer as much teenage cash as they possibly can.  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 12:42 pm
I don't have a problem with Hot Topic.

True, a lot of their clothing - sans their tshirts - is very poorly made and overpriced. But I don't have a problem with buying items there.

Example: stockings. I find the best stockings there.

What I do have a problem with is the fact that so many kids' wardrobes are monopolized by Hot Topic.

I never shop anywhere for the name. Two years in a row the women at the dining hall where I go to college have asked me where I shop because they want to be goth for Halloween. And they are so shocked when I tell them pretty much everywhere.

If I find something cute at a more trendy store, I'll buy it - within a reasonable price, of course.

I find the whole idea of refusing to shop somewhere ridiculous.

The only thing I boycot is Tommy Hilfiger and that's because of what he said about his clothing line regarding black people.

MortSanglant

perrenthezombie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 5:14 pm
Hot Topic gets way too much negative attention. It's just a store. Get over it.  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 5:57 pm
I don't see it as being bad... however, I don't see a lot of thier stuff (sans a few things here and there), as being all that gothic... though some peices can be paired with things I already to create some pretty kickass gothic outfits.

I'll admit that for pants Hot Topic is pretty much the only place I shop. I don't usually wear pants, but I like to wear them every now and then, and my pants (all three pairs of them...) are from Hot Topic. This is for one simple reason though; HT is one of the few stores which carry girls (or at least feminine-looking) pants that are long enough for me.

I don't hate Hot Topic, but I don't shop religiously there either. I get my clothing from all sorts of stores, from Goodwill, to Urban Outfitters, to JC Penny... and yes, Hot Topic is amidst the long list of clothing stores where I shop, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.  

DreamerSpirit

Orias13

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 7:21 pm
I used to shop there a lot, when they had more goth oriented materials. Now, it is more like the K-mart for alternative; and I rarely find anything there that I like. This really sucks because now I have to buy most of my clothing online; and I hate doing that because you never know how it will fit until you put it on. Returning through the post is a royal pain....  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 8:12 pm
10 pairs is like...*counts on fingers* 20 shoes!!!!!!!!!  

Forever_the_child

ketchakik

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 8:16 pm
meh hot topic used to have some really cool clothes..back like 5-10 years ago...i miss those days.....

shoping at hot topic doesn't make anyone mallcore...it makes them have poor fashion sence

*though occasionally you can find something cool....like the dead bunny i have on my rearview mirror*  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 8:59 pm
We don't have Hot Topic in Australia, but I've seen the website. I like the clothes on there.
I don't know why everyone in America gives s**t to the people who shop there. Hell, I'd shop there.

Spooky Wasabi Princess

Proxy Risk-Taker

14,850 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Tested Practitioner 250
  • Magical Girl 50

Spooky Wasabi Princess

Proxy Risk-Taker

14,850 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Tested Practitioner 250
  • Magical Girl 50
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 9:00 pm
Krypta9
Hot Topic gets way too much negative attention. It's just a store. Get over it.

Yeah, that's what I reckon.  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:14 pm
I dont think its a bad thing. I mean they sell...well use to sell some top clothing brands. Just cause its in the mall doesnt mean its bad. Sure they change their stuff every 2 weeks. Being in the mall allows people who cant get to really great goth shops a chance to at least get some ok stuff. Granted some people can go WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY to overboard on the stuff there...and i'm rambling haha i'll stop.  

Lady Detarra

OverlordMMM

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 4:02 pm
.....I don't have a problem with Hot Topic.....well...except for the prices.....and that they direct their lines only to certain areas of clothing......right now I can't even consider it an alternative clothing store since they limit themselves in what they sell.....I think it would be awesome if another store opened up and rivaled them with more styles, more selections per style, and cheaper prices.....that might make Hot Topic fix their act.....  
~ Main Forum ~

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff