Welcome to Gaia! ::

The KoS Guild: The AMv capitol of the universe!

Back to Guilds

Reply The AMV Guild
OT: ED? Maybe? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

do you think bush is trying to ban anime?
yes
7%
 7%  [ 1 ]
no
53%
 53%  [ 7 ]
no, but i hate him anyway
38%
 38%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 13

SC Seung Mina

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 6:13 pm
WulFoX
Wow, dead on. But your forgot the screwing over the social security. xd

Still, wow.
Becuase I am seriously enjoying this, I shall let it continue, Zahmira, try as you may, This will not Die! (Unles you delete it, but then you are a no-fun head)

Note: This rant contains spoilers to the movie Soylent Green, if you don't want to know, then don't read

Anyways, Social Security is a crock in my book. Why make all teh young and middle-aged people pay for the old and dying people? They can go and work, why didn't they build up some money? Why should I put money in to pay them? The system will probably be dead by the time I could cash in, and I plan to work all my life. They should have done less frivolous spending and focused on saving money to support them in their old age. Rely on a 401k or pension or whatever comes when you retire. I sure ain't paying my grandparent sto sit around and watch Soaps all day.
They are dying anyways! I think the soylent Green system was sheer genius! You go and get yourself killed to feed everyone else. It is genius, and it doesn't mater how old you are! If you ahte life, it is a productive suicide! Tons of homeless aren't doing anything, why not go commit suicide to help everyone else?  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 9:26 pm
the only problem is that our society has principals and one is that if you think to commit suicide you are mentally unstable(according to most "phycologists") therefore in the system you speak of we would all be mentally unstable and the country would be overrun by people using our own laws against us..... total chaos...

(and i did not mean for this to become a rant about bush... i just wanted to get peoples opinions about wether or not they thought he was trying to ban anime.... someone please lock this thread before it gets out of hand...)  

diverguy

SC Seung Mina

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 5:49 pm
diverguy
the only problem is that our society has principals and one is that if you think to commit suicide you are mentally unstable(according to most "phycologists") therefore in the system you speak of we would all be mentally unstable and the country would be overrun by people using our own laws against us..... total chaos...

(and i did not mean for this to become a rant about bush... i just wanted to get peoples opinions about wether or not they thought he was trying to ban anime.... someone please lock this thread before it gets out of hand...)
No it won't be locked, since htis is good discussion, unless it turns into a flame war or something, I think it has a right to exist, as long as there aren't lots of unrelated threads, it will hopefully keep this place alive.

Anyways, people aren't using laws against other people already? Peop[le are suing others left and right for minor accidents, spilling coffee, thinking cruise control is the same as auto-pilot, not knowing that an all McDonalds diet would make them fat. And the fact that they are winning sure makes me wonder.  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 9:23 pm
DraconisMaster
diverguy

No it won't be locked, since htis is good discussion, unless it turns into a flame war or something, I think it has a right to exist, as long as there aren't lots of unrelated threads, it will hopefully keep this place alive.

Anyways, people aren't using laws against other people already? Peop[le are suing others left and right for minor accidents, spilling coffee, thinking cruise control is the same as auto-pilot, not knowing that an all McDonalds diet would make them fat. And the fact that they are winning sure makes me wonder.

although some of the cases you mentioned i agree with you on i meant more other countries coming in and using our own laws to abolish our nation as a whole, not people using laws against others just in the us...and in some cases, laws are meant to be used against one another since it is a code of right and wrong (debatedly) and those who do not live by the code (murderers, terrorists, bank robbers((just naming a few bad ones))) are prosecuted with the laws against them as evidence (so to speak)  

diverguy

SC Seung Mina

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 12:42 pm
diverguy
although some of the cases you mentioned i agree with you on i meant more other countries coming in and using our own laws to abolish our nation as a whole, not people using laws against others just in the us...and in some cases, laws are meant to be used against one another since it is a code of right and wrong (debatedly) and those who do not live by the code (murderers, terrorists, bank robbers((just naming a few bad ones))) are prosecuted with the laws against them as evidence (so to speak)
but now we are getting into a discussion of "If the society is breaking a law made by itself, can we prosecute them to prove they are unstable, which would invalidate the law, making this case worthles, which would validate the society, therefore it's laws, therefore it's case" thought cycle, which is bad.
However, there aren't laws against suicide, You can kill yourself if you want to. It is only people thinking that suicide is a bad thing. and it is to a degree, if you have no reason to kill yourself, I think you are just an idiot who can't dela with life and shouldn't be here so you made the right choice, because now I am happier. If you have serious problems (debt, drugs, abuse, maimed body) then you might have reason, but probably not (see above reasoning now) but now others have those problems, but if they can deal, they deserve to be here.
anyways, The society wouldn't be at fault in the soylent green system. Lots of people are unstable as it is. Right now, everybody has somesort of phobia or odd belief. Religion could be viewed as instability if you want. Belief in a force that isn't there? Mentally instable, into an asylum you go. You want to kill yourself? sure, instable, asylum. Anybody can be insane from the proper viewpoint, but what viewpoint do we choose, is the question. Everyone's is different. We have to all agree on an unbiased spot and decide from there. sadly, it is hard to find such a thing, so this society, while possibly closer to ideality, will never exist.  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 1:24 pm
DraconisMaster
diverguy
but now we are getting into a discussion of "If the society is breaking a law made by itself, can we prosecute them to prove they are unstable, which would invalidate the law, making this case worthles, which would validate the society, therefore it's laws, therefore it's case" thought cycle, which is bad.
However, there aren't laws against suicide, You can kill yourself if you want to. It is only people thinking that suicide is a bad thing. and it is to a degree, if you have no reason to kill yourself, I think you are just an idiot who can't dela with life and shouldn't be here so you made the right choice, because now I am happier. If you have serious problems (debt, drugs, abuse, maimed body) then you might have reason, but probably not (see above reasoning now) but now others have those problems, but if they can deal, they deserve to be here.
anyways, The society wouldn't be at fault in the soylent green system. Lots of people are unstable as it is. Right now, everybody has somesort of phobia or odd belief. Religion could be viewed as instability if you want. Belief in a force that isn't there? Mentally instable, into an asylum you go. You want to kill yourself? sure, instable, asylum. Anybody can be insane from the proper viewpoint, but what viewpoint do we choose, is the question. Everyone's is different. We have to all agree on an unbiased spot and decide from there. sadly, it is hard to find such a thing, so this society, while possibly closer to ideality, will never exist.

again, don't drag religion into this! they can't physically disprove it...therefore people have reason to believe...  

diverguy

SC Seung Mina

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 6:45 pm
diverguy
again, don't drag religion into this! they can't physically disprove it...therefore people have reason to believe...
I am using religion as an example of something that can be shown as an unfounded claim, which can be used as a basis for attempting to show mental instability. Since it can't be physically proven or disproven, you could show strong belief in religion to be a type of mental instablity.

I am sorry to be "dragging" religion into things, but it's prevalence in all pieces of society is everywhere. No matter where you go and what discussion you have, religion will eventually be used in some form as an example or point of proof or disproof. It is useful everywhere.

Neither am I saying you can't believe, just that it could be taken as mental instability if looked at in the right light. For example:
A monk devotes himself to Buddhism and climbs a mountain, lives in a shack, and shaves his head. Some people would call him crazy for doing something like that because he has no basis. others would say he is just expressing his feelings. Even other people would follow his example and say he is a leader. It just depends on your view point.  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 8:37 pm
DraconisMaster
diverguy
I am using religion as an example of something that can be shown as an unfounded claim, which can be used as a basis for attempting to show mental instability. Since it can't be physically proven or disproven, you could show strong belief in religion to be a type of mental instablity.

I am sorry to be "dragging" religion into things, but it's prevalence in all pieces of society is everywhere. No matter where you go and what discussion you have, religion will eventually be used in some form as an example or point of proof or disproof. It is useful everywhere.

Neither am I saying you can't believe, just that it could be taken as mental instability if looked at in the right light. For example:
A monk devotes himself to Buddhism and climbs a mountain, lives in a shack, and shaves his head. Some people would call him crazy for doing something like that because he has no basis. others would say he is just expressing his feelings. Even other people would follow his example and say he is a leader. It just depends on your view point.

true, but it also depends on what i said earlier about personal beliefs... somepeople might have the same religion, but not be as gung-ho about it, and if you are sayiong it is because he is catholic, not all catholics are like that, some are more extreme, some are more lax, almost like the republican and democratic parties.  

diverguy

SC Seung Mina

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 11:20 am
diverguy
true, but it also depends on what i said earlier about personal beliefs... somepeople might have the same religion, but not be as gung-ho about it, and if you are sayiong it is because he is catholic, not all catholics are like that, some are more extreme, some are more lax, almost like the republican and democratic parties.
I understand that. My only point is any stance on anything can be viewed as madness by anybody for their own reasons. I don't see how people can be against abortion since we have such overcrowding on the earth in general, not to mention cities, and they just want to add more people? Insanity!

As in my latest example, I was using no specific person, but if you are relating this back to earlier Pres. Bush comments, I only pointed out him singularly because I feel that he uses it as a decision maker instead of listening to the advice of others and the well being of the nation. I don't want to clump all catholics as "We only care about ourselves, and our religions stance on things" or anything of the sort. I understand that everybody believes in their religion to different degrees, otherwise we would all be priests since we believed so much or there wouldn't be any priests since nobody believed enough.

But let us not revert to discussions about Bush and his motions in his presidency but find some new controversy int he modern world to discuss. Maybe I should rename this place O.T: ED style? hmmm intriguing, that thought is.
How about we discuss the foolish boy scout who got lost from his troop on a hike or something. Why do we hear about this stupid white child who wandered off from camp and was lost for four days and then found standing stupidly in the middle of a trail? He's a boy scout, he can manage! What do you think they are teaching him there. Maybe it's how to survive if you are lost in the woods! I was a scout, if you are lost for 4 days, you could probably find some water, or some edible plants, I definitely don't find this a news worthy story.  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 7:36 pm
true about the boyscout... i was a scout but quit in 5th grade....it got monotonous and stupid.... we never learned anything valuable.....we wouldn't be able to make it 4 days.... we would probably eat something poisonous first... but obviously you should try to find a trail or road.... most boyscouts carry compasses which would be helpful if you know any cities nearby to the north south ect... walk long enough and you will find a road....(unless you walk in small circles...)  

diverguy

diverguy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 3:50 pm
who renamed it? and what does it stand for?  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 11:01 pm
diverguy
true about the boyscout... i was a scout but quit in 5th grade....it got monotonous and stupid.... we never learned anything valuable.....we wouldn't be able to make it 4 days.... we would probably eat something poisonous first... but obviously you should try to find a trail or road.... most boyscouts carry compasses which would be helpful if you know any cities nearby to the north south ect... walk long enough and you will find a road....(unless you walk in small circles...)

Hey! You were a Cub Scout!! Boy Scouts are an intermediate thing!

Anyway, like all modern people we relie(d) on books that we were supposed to know by heart.

Off Topic: Extended Discussion  

WulFoX

Tsathorrea

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 1:54 am
DM, I must heartily agree with your assessment of the media: many of the stories which are fed to me during the CNN morning news are utterly trivial, and well beneath the attention of most clear-thinking individuals.
Even reading the Star Tribune, most of the articles are simply fluff, added stories to maintain readership without encouraging speculation or debate. At 3:45 AM, Monday June 27th, the top story of CNN.com (which has had all kinds of media coverage in the last week or two) is the latest update in the ongoing drama of a single missing teenager in Aruba. Let's not kid ourselves here, folks, this story is covered because the victim is a white female. Ditto for the Boy Scout in (Montana?): from a global standpoint, where millions of people are starving to death in less-developed countries, this child is just another drop in the casualty bucket.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 10:04 am
WulFoX
diverguy

Hey! You were a Cub Scout!! Boy Scouts are an intermediate thing!

Anyway, like all modern people we relie(d) on books that we were supposed to know by heart.

Off Topic: Extended Discussion

actually i made it to weblows (a horrible name i know).... then i quit when we were studying stars.....  

diverguy

diverguy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 10:09 am
Tsathorrea
DM, I must heartily agree with your assessment of the media: many of the stories which are fed to me during the CNN morning news are utterly trivial, and well beneath the attention of most clear-thinking individuals.
Even reading the Star Tribune, most of the articles are simply fluff, added stories to maintain readership without encouraging speculation or debate. At 3:45 AM, Monday June 27th, the top story of CNN.com (which has had all kinds of media coverage in the last week or two) is the latest update in the ongoing drama of a single missing teenager in Aruba. Let's not kid ourselves here, folks, this story is covered because the victim is a white female. Ditto for the Boy Scout in (Montana?): from a global standpoint, where millions of people are starving to death in less-developed countries, this child is just another drop in the casualty bucket.

with the current state of the media, i can't wait to see what would happen if the apocalyps would occur slowly... they would probably cover a story on a dying puppy first... then cut to live coverage of death and destruction with dead bodies lying every where..... like resident evil apocalypse (except they wheren't just dead, they where half eaten...)  
The AMV Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff