I Regret Holding My Tongue. (SPOILER) Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Syndactyly

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 12:02 pm
shadowninjaofthemist
From what I understand of the chapter, I think that Shikamaru is smoking to keep Asuma's memory alive. I dont think that Asuma's ghost will come out of no where or whatever you guys were getting at. I feel that Shikamaru is smoking just because if he smells the smoke, he would fell that Asuma is there, and that in itself will give him the strenght to 'finish the job' so to speak. Just my pov though

let Verd and Shikalee start their flames at me.
No, no. That's not what I was saying at all. You're all taking my idea WAY to literally. gonk

And what you said is what I was getting at the first time Verd yelled at me. *bolds it* Reminiscing. NOT "keeping him alive."  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 3:59 pm
Poor Shikalee... so misunderstood!  

churrlo

Syndactyly

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 4:13 pm
churrlo
Poor Shikalee... so misunderstood!
Mostly because... I explain things in a strange manner. I don't say everything I think. It's weird. gonk And then I think I said it, but didn't.  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 4:17 pm
I saw this argument in the other forum and I still refuse to comment.

but I'll point out that it comes off kinda... well I'll just say it, childish that you are playing the "I originally thought this and it was correct" card in the argument.
but then I refuse to comment otherwise cause I really dont give a damn if the characters are doing it to draw strength from the memory of asuma or as a sign that asuma is still with them and wants them to finish the mission.

to me it just looks like a way more awesome way to draw shikamaru and I cant wait to see some of my fav artists on deviantart draw him with the cigarette. pirate  

Fangorn23

attila the fun

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 6:56 pm
Fangorn23

but I'll point out that it comes off kinda... well I'll just say it, childish that you are playing the "I originally thought this and it was correct" card in the argument.
but then I refuse to comment otherwise cause I really dont give a damn if the characters are doing it to draw strength from the memory of asuma or as a sign that asuma is still with them and wants them to finish the mission.

to me it just looks like a way more awesome way to draw shikamaru and I cant wait to see some of my fav artists on deviantart draw him with the cigarette. pirate

IAWTPLOLZ, it just looks cool. Hell, maybe he was just looking for an excuse to draw Shikamaru with a cigarette. xd ...And then it just happened to carry this vaguely interesting symbolism.  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 8:26 pm
Aww well be happy that SOMEONE understands you! biggrin (me)  

churrlo

Kuroyue

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 9:11 pm
I have to agree with Fangorn, you (meaning Shikalee and CaptainVerd) are getting childish about this--your arguments are becoming too common, and you're getting worked up over a small theory. Do you guys really have to assert yourselves so strongly?

Anyway, if I had to choose a theory, I'd go with shadowninjaofthemist. It makes perfect sense to me, and I *think* I know what he's talking about. I'm guessing Shikamaru's smoking because he doesn't want to forget Asuma. Everytime he sees the smoke, it'll give him the sense that Asuma's watching over him and it'll give him fresh motivation to finish the mission until it's over; and that's when Shikamaru thinks Asuma will be at peace. Just putting in my two cents, but I'm gonna sit back and see how Kishimoto explains it.

I think I know what totem you're talking about, but it's just my opinion that the totem idea would be a little out-of-place in the Naruto universe. Buddhism? I'm not sure if that even exists there; I think I remember some Akatsuki guy saying that the people of Konoha practice the will of Fire and view the previous generation as god, so I don't know if Buddhism could fit somewhere in there...  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 1:06 am
Kuroyue
I have to agree with Fangorn, you (meaning Shikalee and CaptainVerd) are getting childish about this--your arguments are becoming too common, and you're getting worked up over a small theory. Do you guys really have to assert yourselves so strongly?

Anyway, if I had to choose a theory, I'd go with shadowninjaofthemist. It makes perfect sense to me, and I *think* I know what he's talking about. I'm guessing Shikamaru's smoking because he doesn't want to forget Asuma. Everytime he sees the smoke, it'll give him the sense that Asuma's watching over him and it'll give him fresh motivation to finish the mission until it's over; and that's when Shikamaru thinks Asuma will be at peace. Just putting in my two cents, but I'm gonna sit back and see how Kishimoto explains it.

I think I know what totem you're talking about, but it's just my opinion that the totem idea would be a little out-of-place in the Naruto universe. Buddhism? I'm not sure if that even exists there; I think I remember some Akatsuki guy saying that the people of Konoha practice the will of Fire and view the previous generation as god, so I don't know if Buddhism could fit somewhere in there...
as far as religion is concerned the only hint of it that I recall is in the anime when Jiraiya is talking about being tied to the pole too just like Naruto was. and Naruto wasnt paying attention in the background and ******** up the hangings for a shinto shrine to the ancestors burried there. he corrected it then seemed to make an apology to the ancestors with a prayer or something  

Fangorn23

Captain Verd

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 7:11 am
Kuroyue
Oh, you're right, you're right. I totally forgot about that. biggrin  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 7:14 am
shadowninjaofthemist
From what I understand of the chapter, I think that Shikamaru is smoking to keep Asuma's memory alive. I dont think that Asuma's ghost will come out of no where or whatever you guys were getting at. I feel that Shikamaru is smoking just because if he smells the smoke, he would fell that Asuma is there, and that in itself will give him the strenght to 'finish the job' so to speak. Just my pov though

Perhaps I've come off wrong, but that's what I mean/think too.  

Captain Verd

Syndactyly

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:01 pm
Fangorn23

This wasn't what this post was about. Why ignore the topic? gonk

Anyways, I can say that the childish part is true, on both sides, and that I'm done with it. It's not like me to give anyone the silent treatment, but I've figured it's the only way to cease the problem. I'm only talking to her when it's, say, well... not about Shikamaru or Asuma.

Ahahah. I'm a pretty good artist. Okay, I'll stop being modest; I can draw JUST LIKE Kishimoto now. I plan to draw him, but I get all embarrassed and like... squirmy when I see him with the cigarette. I don't know why. But I really want to draw it. >O<;;

I have the perfect image in my mind, too. razz I just need to stop... whatever I'm doing to avoid drawing it. >_>;

@ Verd: That's not what you were saying. If you agree with shadowninjaofthemist, this argument was ridiculous because than I agree with you. neutral  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:03 pm
Kuroyue
Buddhism is not a religion. It's a philosophy. It's very well exists if they have a monastery (basically where Shikamaru and Asuma would play shogi). It just might not be called Buddhism there, which, again, isn't a religion. It's a way of life. I've noticed that Shikamaru very well lives that philosophy; but like I just said, it's probably not called Buddhism over there, nor is he aware that he even fits the criteria.  

Syndactyly

churrlo

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:27 pm
Yeah guys, it's not a religion. It's merely, like Shikalee said, a way of life. Fore example someone can be Catholic and Buddhist at the same time.  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 4:31 pm
churrlo
Yeah guys, it's not a religion. It's merely, like Shikalee said, a way of life. Fore example someone can be Catholic and Buddhist at the same time.
Well, except Buddhism strictly states that worship is unhealthy. >_>;  

Syndactyly

Mist-san

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 4:48 pm
Shikalee
shadowninjaofthemist

No, no. That's not what I was saying at all. You're all taking my idea WAY to literally. gonk

And what you said is what I was getting at the first time Verd yelled at me. *bolds it* Reminiscing. NOT "keeping him alive."

I said tha this is MY pov, I didnt base my idea off of yours. This is why you contunie to prove to me that you ar arrogant and cocky. The only idea of yours that I liked and amkeeping until I find evidance against it is the kyuubi is the king. I liked that idea of yours because to me it seems likely and it makes sense.  
Naruto Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff