Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
120 character limit Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

TXT TLK in cell phone text messages?
  Sure. Those things are costly to send, so I need to get everything in a single message!
  Hell no. There is never a good reason to sacrifice the quality of the English language!
  Sometimes. It depends on what I'm typing and whom I'm sending it to.
  I don't have a cell phone, use SMS, or am a pholl whore.
View Results

snazy-a-tastic

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 9:40 am
I type in full sentences and use proper grammar. Sure, sometimes I have to send two messages to get it all in, but it forces the correction of wordiness. Haha.

Of course, for whatever reason, I'm not charged for sending text messages. For me it's just that it takes time and, if I want to send a message enough, time's no issue.  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 7:20 am
Not charged for text messages? I've never heard of a cell company not charging for messages. If you've found one like that, stick to them like glue. Mine only charges .05 per message, but still it adds up.  

Ame Yuki Kaze

Clean Seeker

4,100 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Signature Look 250

The Man who was Thursday

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 9:39 am
Yami no Hitokiri
Not charged for text messages? I've never heard of a cell company not charging for messages. If you've found one like that, stick to them like glue. Mine only charges .05 per message, but still it adds up.

You can get some plans where you get so many text messages free.  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 9:41 am
I always type out the whole thing, otherwise, it just looks wrong to me...  

Red-Chocolate

snazy-a-tastic

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 11:37 am
Ezra Pound
Yami no Hitokiri

You can get some plans where you get so many text messages free.

It's not a plan for me. I use the pay-as-you-go phone cards (Telus).

I've been trying to use up my minutes and throught sending text messages would do me in, but they don't seem to take any of my time. It's weird.  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 8:22 pm
HA I get 2000 text messages a month for $10 NZ (I live in NZ).

P.S Does anyone know the thing you have to put in for this page?  

Smoozle

Generous Millionaire

7,700 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Megathread 100

Teffy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 7:48 am
My cell phone is $15 for unlimited text messages. This extends to AIM, since my phone's equipped with it. As an unfortunate result, my AIM conversations usually result in "txt-tlk" due to the fact that the RAZR's messaging system SUCKS when it comes to capitalization and punctuation. (You have to hit "1" eight times for a comma)  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 9:16 am
I don't use the "txt tlk", but I usually end up not using proper grammar. For instance, I won't use commas, or I will avoid using apostrophes when I am typing out contractions because it takes up space. Honestly, it annoys me that the limit is 150 characters.  

Lily-Anne-Marie

Arianna La Moire

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 1:40 pm
It all depends on who it's too and how much of a hurry I'm in, but yes I have before. sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 3:55 pm
I avoid it as well as I can, I'm not really sure right now whether i do or not actually. I don't use capitalization though. I'd rather shorten the sentences as well as I can, and if I can't, well, I'll just pay for two messages.

ljosberinn

Ajith

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 9:33 pm
I never use "txt tlk." I can't stand it, and to be honest, it makes me twitch to receive messages written in it. Even right here, I had to go back and delete the "e" in "text" and the "a" in "talk" a couple of seconds ago.  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 3:00 pm
I might abbreviate a little, but I would never txt-tlk. One of my messages would be, "Hey, are we going to NCS now?" I don't understand it without spending time to think about it, so I see no point. My friends see this and use more txt-tlk than me, i.e. "r" instead of "are," but they still kind of follow my example.  

MyOwnBestCritic

Dapper Dabbler

Byrn_in_hel

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 3:33 pm
I despise text messaging. On the rare occasion when I do text message someone, I always type out my words and use punctuation.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 12:58 pm
Ah, a proud day it is, that is why my cell phone bill is too high, I send two messages per sentence!  

Momoko Wakaba

Sachiko13

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 5:27 pm
Since most of my text messages are "Supper's ready," I really don't have to bother shortening.  
Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff