Welcome to Gaia! ::

Reply Sacred Sources -The Outer Forum -
Pretty much all of us say we have no problem w/other beliefs Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

you and your pollwhore-ness... that's okay, I am too!
View Results

Seira Relur

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 7:02 am
The Bookwyrm
I don't like religious beliefs that cause harm, and I don't like religious belilefs that preach against birth control; sorry, but the whole abstinence thing really isn't working out... stare

rofl rofl
Sorry... I find that funny. mrgreen  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 8:39 am
The Bookwyrm
I'll be honest and say that I do have a problem with some religious beliefs. Religious beliefs that lead to biggots trying to force their views on others, religious views that degrade other people, label them abominations because of their life style or their beliefs, I don't like religious beliefs that cause harm, and I don't like religious belilefs that preach against birth control; sorry, but the whole abstinence thing really isn't working out... stare

(chuckles) well, setting aside the birth control issue, I think most of us probably have tolerance limits when it comes to these areas. Personally, I accept those who believe this way but I do not condone their actions. What I think is hard though is discerning if it is really the *religous* belief that is the problem, or if it is really the individual that is intolerant. Abrahamic monotheism for example is intrinsically intolerant as it claims there is only one-true-god and that other deities are false, but that doesn't mean that those who follow monotheistic systems are in practice, intolerant towards other ways. confused  

Starlock
Crew

The Bookwyrm
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 9:16 pm
Starlock
(chuckles) well, setting aside the birth control issue, I think most of us probably have tolerance limits when it comes to these areas. Personally, I accept those who believe this way but I do not condone their actions. What I think is hard though is discerning if it is really the *religous* belief that is the problem, or if it is really the individual that is intolerant. Abrahamic monotheism for example is intrinsically intolerant as it claims there is only one-true-god and that other deities are false, but that doesn't mean that those who follow monotheistic systems are in practice, intolerant towards other ways. confused

You're absolutely right, the distinction does have to be made; there are a number of very free thinking people who are looking at what their faith says, and taking issue with it. One of my best friends is Catholic, but she's the first to join me in circle and wants to participate in my rituals, and she's very out spoken about gay rights. The biggest problem comes when people put too much faith into a monoplozied system of belief, and a good many that stem out from the Abrahamic traditions are all about promoting the Good Ol' Boys Club. Changes are being made, though, because people are seeing that this is a problem, that their religion is being exclusive to the point of being harmful, and they're working to change it. Bless their hearts for it!  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 9:18 pm
Seira Relur
The Bookwyrm
I don't like religious beliefs that cause harm, and I don't like religious belilefs that preach against birth control; sorry, but the whole abstinence thing really isn't working out... stare

rofl rofl
Sorry... I find that funny. mrgreen

Glad I could be of service. xd  

The Bookwyrm
Crew

Caerwiden

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 11:45 am
I was an atheist that converted to paganism so I don't have a previous religion to feel dissatisfied with, especially since here in Britain there's not much importance in Christianity anymore (most serious religious people are generally from Asian migrant familes who follow Dharmic faiths or Islam, although of course there are still some Christians too). I feel that people should be free to follow whatever faith and religious doctrine they choose provided they do not preach violence or war, are too controlling of people's personal lives (I believe somebody already mentioned birth control), or preach that other religions are wrong. That's why I tend to not like Abrahamic religions that much (except those lovely Jews who as far I know do not ever try make people convert faith. Gotta love the Jews) because of the way they control people's personal lives (e.g. woman wearing a black shroud always) and preach against other religions (e.g. thou shalt not suffer a witch to live). Of course the majority of Christians and Muslims are nice people who respect other faiths (coughthosethatdon'taremainlyamericanscough coughwithnomeantocauseoffencecough)  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 5:24 pm
Well, I am a christian, and I am subsrcibed to a Pagan guild... So I guess thats my proof!  

Zher

Pelta

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 1:43 am
I have no problem with certain people. Religious beliefs often don't really have a huge effect on what kind of person someone is. I've known terrible pagans and really sweet Jehovah's Witnesses. I have no problem with their religions, just the people themselves.

When people misrepresent a religion I have a problem with their beliefs because they are claiming something they aren't for their own gain, putting down those who have actually worked for it. Case in point - someone I know was involved in a case in which a wiccan priest used his religion to rape children. That's not on. That's disgusting. And that was his belief.

Yeah I definately have a problem with some peoples' beliefs.  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 8:09 pm
wow...people these days....  

Redwing~Shadow

Anabis

Monster Mage

21,250 Points
  • Novice Mage 100
  • Budding Witch 250
  • Ghost Hunter 250
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 5:13 am
To be honest, I don't really have a problem with most other religions.. I mean I wouldn't ever look into necromancy, personally o.o but that dosn't mean I won't find a friend one day who looks into it or pratices it... It mostly depends on the person.

Christianity, however, will forever leave a bad taste in my mouth, because of my Grandma trying to shove it down my throat and useing it as punishment when I was little ~.~;; Usually went along the lines of 'Don't do that or you'll be watching church with me on sunday'. That was the threat.
The shoving down of the throat was waking up to use the bathroom and getting stuck watching it anyways >.<; Good Gods I hated that. *hisses*

That's not to say I don't have christian friends, they're pretty cool most the time, much better then my Grams in that respect.  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 6:32 am
Anabis
To be honest, I don't really have a problem with most other religions.. I mean I wouldn't ever look into necromancy, personally o.o but that dosn't mean I won't find a friend one day who looks into it or pratices it... It mostly depends on the person.

Christianity, however, will forever leave a bad taste in my mouth, because of my Grandma trying to shove it down my throat and useing it as punishment when I was little ~.~;; Usually went along the lines of 'Don't do that or you'll be watching church with me on sunday'. That was the threat.
The shoving down of the throat was waking up to use the bathroom and getting stuck watching it anyways >.<; Good Gods I hated that. *hisses*

That's not to say I don't have christian friends, they're pretty cool most the time, much better then my Grams in that respect.
My mom would do something like that. Except, we already went to church on Sunday mornings and Wednesday evenings... So we would go on Sunday night if we got into trouble, sometimes. And there were no children activities at church on Sunday nights. emo  

Jezehbelle

Starlock
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 8:47 am
Anabis

'Twas my understanding that Necromancy isn't a religion, but a form of divination (as it has the 'mancy' ending) that involves contacting spirits of the dead....  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 2:26 pm
Starlock
Anabis

'Twas my understanding that Necromancy isn't a religion, but a form of divination (as it has the 'mancy' ending) that involves contacting spirits of the dead....
Really? Huh.. I've always heard it referred to as a religion of sorts. learn something new everyday o.o *makes a note of that*  

Anabis

Monster Mage

21,250 Points
  • Novice Mage 100
  • Budding Witch 250
  • Ghost Hunter 250

Starlock
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 7:29 am
Anabis
Starlock
Anabis

Really? Huh.. I've always heard it referred to as a religion of sorts. learn something new everyday o.o *makes a note of that*

I'd bet there are many misunderstandings about necromancy. What I know... I'm not sure if I trust the source I got it from, but simply knowing the etymology of the word tells you something about it's meaning and 'mancy' is an ending we put on the end of divinatory arts, right? Tasseomancy, Bibliomancy, etc. Necromancy has been taken by RPGs and hollywood and instead equated with something completely different than divination.  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 12:54 pm
Tianta
I have no problem with other religions, as long as they have no problem with mine....Once someone starts preaching their religion as they only TRUE one, and that I should switch to it, blah blah blah...then I have a problem for sure....

I completely agree with you. I am very curious about various religions and why people believe that they believe. But my asking questions is not an open invitation to try to convert me. Once someone starts dissing my beliefs, then I feel like I have an open invitations to diss their right back at them.  

MaleficentSnape

Redwing~Shadow

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 2:05 pm
As long as their are no problems on the other side with ppl, and they dont start trouble with other ppls religions, it should be all good. But some ppl cant accept like others.  
Sacred Sources -The Outer Forum -

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff