Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Literature
the DaVinci Code - Am I the only one... Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

The DaVinci code?
  sucked
  rocked
  haven't read it
View Results

xAvenirYuinax

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 6:00 pm
I didn't particularly like The Da Vinci Code. It was more entertainment reading than anything else. I thought the idea behind it was interesting but horribly expressed.

I liked the prequel even less.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 6:28 pm
I didn't really like the way it was written, but I think it had a terrific story.  

americananimefan

red_moon_wolfess

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:16 am
I havn't read it, and I probably never will because it's the second book... did anyone know that? Yeah the first book is called "angels and demons" and it's really popular at my school right now because everyone has already read the second one. It's funny to watch how many people are reading the series backwards. xd  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 8:09 pm
I got the first book, Angels and Demons on audio disk because I wanted to read DaVinci Code but wanted to have the first book under my belt. My friend and I listened to Angels on a road trip. I remember thinking it was pretty interesting (almost any story is better when it is heard rather than read) but have forgotten most of the story now.
I liked the idea behind DaVinci Code because it was really a very novel idea to me. I was raised in a conservative Christian household where the family religion was never questioned or abandoned.
Needless to say, I suffered through the rather elementary writing for the story and information. At times, I found myself nodding off, but overall, it was halfway decent.
whee  

Adrianah

Songo-Hanli Aanali

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 8:46 pm
I rather felt it was one of those books that ran out of funding near the end. I did not want to finish reading it! I did, however, and i still have no clue what happened. My problem with the book wasn't the actual content, but it's fan base. So many people forgot that it was a work of fiction, that it became this whole religious ordeal. Historical facts aside, there was no Sophie Neveu, or albino monk. The fact is, it was a work of fiction and Dan Brown twisted facts in order to make it a good read.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:01 pm
I read 'Angels and Demons' first, and enjoyed it immensely. Imagine how ecstatic I was that the author of this book had written another! To a teenager struggling with her personal beliefs and strong pull towards athiesm, the idea of the book was amazingly revolutionary. BUT, the story doesn't fulfill it's complete potential, and while Brown is very good with his descriptions and historical knowledge, the lengthy explanations and almost too predictable events, the idea behind the novel soon becomes lost in the attempt to connect with what his characters are saying...and if it's possible, the movie was even worse...  

Ophelia_Iphigeneia

-la reine des gitans-

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 7:41 pm
I think that Dan Brown crossed the fine line between suspenseful and long-winded. It seems like anyone can write a book these days.

I haven't seen the movie and I haven't tried the book again, but all I hear is how bad people thought it was. I bet that when I do eventually read it, I'll think it's fine. It's like when people tell you that a movie is really awesome, it's so amazing, it's the best I've ever seen in my life, you'll never imagine how wonderful it is, and when you go to see it, they've ruined it for you. It's the reverse effect.

But, he's successful now, so I'm sure that suits him just fine. Success, not greatness, is the only god the world serves, so says Orlando Bloom in Elizabethtown. It's got some truth in this case. The book wasn't great, but it was successful and that's all that matters.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 2:57 am
And I despised the idiotic metaphors and similes: "Her voice boiled like lava" - honestly. Maybe "her voice burned with anger" or something, but it just sounded like he tried too hard.  

Galadedrid Damodred

Annikaya

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 10:16 am
I thought Dan Brown had some interesting ideas but the plot was pretty predictable. I knew the ending as soon as I knew what they were looking for. Maybe that's because I know so much about King Arthur but it was just far too easy to figure out.  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 3:53 pm
I havn't read The DaVinci Code.

I read Angels & Demons; and I thought it was a good book.  

Reizzar

5,850 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Statustician 100

bakuretsuai

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 6:28 pm
I'll start by saying that I didn't read the book, yet.
I took extreme offense to the whole, 'This is devilment at its finest! That's not how it happened! You're trying to destroy the enitre basis of true religion!', take so many people put on it. Correct me if I'm wrong, but was this not a fictional work?
Forgive me for thinking that quotation marks meant dialogue - a key in spotting fiction unless otherwise noted.
Now to the point.
I did watch the movie. I was rather put off by some parts of the story and there was an awful lot of explanation that didn't quite add up for me. The actors did the roles great justice, but I wouldn't want to watch the movie again. I'd call it a one-time pleasure, at least. You have all made me fear reading the book. That just means that an entire religious movement was spurred on by "a good idea with bad application of writing"?

Good concept, bad application. Lump it in with a good try and forget about it.

Thanks for reading.  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 6:00 pm
I haven't read the book, bit I've seen the movie. The movie sucked, but my hyper-Christian stepmom didn't like it on the principle of it being anti-Christian, and not because of the movie or book itself.  

Spiritually

Alaisiaga

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 11:30 am
This is a good example of a book that could have been awesome, but fell short. The way that he wrote it was not to my liking at all. The chapters were too short, and he had issues balancing information and plot. I've heard people praise that and the length of the chapters, but for me, it completely turns me off. I only read it to say that I did.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 3:56 pm
Angels and Demons - Pretty good. Not perfect, but much better than its sequel.

The DaVinci Code - Pretty stupid. Info dumps and exclamation points abound. Tread carefully. Plus, Tom Hanks' hair looks really stupid in the movie smile

Deception Point - Eh, not really worth what I paid for it, although it did keep me occupied in class.

Digital Fortress - Probably Dan Brown's best book, although it's not nearly as well known... maybe that's because it's a "smart thriller." Psh, like anyone's going to read it with that description stressed  

MyOwnBestCritic

Dapper Dabbler

Zieza

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 5:11 am
Well I finally read the book. Lol maybe there's something wrong with me, but I thought it was fine. I guess it's my whole movie evil book good thing, or maybe I could understand the book more after seeing the movie. It's weird that as I watched the movie I kept thinking the ending of the book even though I'd never read it, lol I was like, "GAH!!!! Just kiss her already! You're perfect for each other!" ...and then she tried to walk on water and disappeared... stare meh so much for being a good movie. Besides that the book and movie were almost identical, maybe the order of events were shifted around a bit, but pretty close either way.

So...I guess I'm neutral on the book  
Literature

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces