WellzY
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 5:27 pm
Delithraldur
DNA_Guru
Our history is gay and uneventful. Bring on the Canadian history. o_o
Motion carried! 3nodding

Ratified.

That's mainly because I prefer ancient history though, but even within contemporary history, we're just a generally boring nation. We can never seem to make decission ourselves, just follow either the British or US lead, seeing as we're nothing more than sheep. stare

I'm Australian, and as far as I know, most of not all of my relatives were of British deccent, though we might have some German chucked in there somewhere along the line.  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 7:10 am
WellzY
Delithraldur
DNA_Guru
Our history is gay and uneventful. Bring on the Canadian history. o_o
Motion carried! 3nodding

Ratified.

That's mainly because I prefer ancient history though, but even within contemporary history, we're just a generally boring nation. We can never seem to make decission ourselves, just follow either the British or US lead, seeing as we're nothing more than sheep. stare

I'm Australian, and as far as I know, most of not all of my relatives were of British deccent, though we might have some German chucked in there somewhere along the line.

Awe, I don't think of Aussies as sheep. Actually I admire the country for it's apparent lack of enthusiasm when it comes to war and such. The whole of Australia seems to be a very peaceful nation, and I don't think there's anything wrong with that. *smiles*

As for me, I'm not just Canadian. No one really is unless they're native. I'm Irish, English, Scotish and German. A regular heinz 57, I am. *winks and laughs*  

BeMuled MissBeth

Shameless Fairy

19,400 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • First step to fame 200

WellzY
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 5:20 pm
BeMuled MissBeth
Awe, I don't think of Aussies as sheep. Actually I admire the country for it's apparent lack of enthusiasm when it comes to war and such. The whole of Australia seems to be a very peaceful nation, and I don't think there's anything wrong with that. *smiles*

As for me, I'm not just Canadian. No one really is unless they're native. I'm Irish, English, Scotish and German. A regular heinz 57, I am. *winks and laughs*

I always find it strange to hear that other people see Australia and think of it and it's people as relativly layed back. I suppose I'd have to experince life in another country to contrast it to something else I suppose, before I could see it properly. But trust me, on an international poltical basis, we are sheep. 3nodding Oh, except when it came to that Japanese whaling business.

You sound like my decent actually, I'm just not positive on the German factor, it's only a posibility.  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 11:49 pm
BeMuled MissBeth

Hmm, WW1: GRAB YOUR RIFLES FOR KING AND ADVENTURE!
WW2: GRAB YOUR RIFLES FOR YOUR COUNTRY AND THOSE WHO THREATEN IT!
Vietnam: COME TO WAR OR WE'LL MAKE YOU!
Iraq: LET'S PRETEND WE'RE ENTHUSIASTIC!  

DNA_Guru
Captain

scruffy012

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 6:10 am
DNA_Guru
BeMuled MissBeth

WW2: GRAB YOPUR RIFLES FOR YOUR COUNTRY AND THOSE WHO THREATEN IT!

hehe, too true, whats the next war... we turn our backs and wave it off sayig f*** off??? lol  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 7:57 am
WellzY
I always find it strange to hear that other people see Australia and think of it and it's people as relativly layed back. I suppose I'd have to experince life in another country to contrast it to something else I suppose, before I could see it properly. But trust me, on an international poltical basis, we are sheep. 3nodding Oh, except when it came to that Japanese whaling business.

You sound like my decent actually, I'm just not positive on the German factor, it's only a posibility.

Well, in all honesty, most other countries are very tight arsed about ... everything. Even up here in Canada. A lot of people think Canadians are very relaxed and friendly people, and we are!, but not as much as others. There's a lot of American influence up here in the north because we're such close neighbors. The farther you go to the north in Canada the more relaxed and friendly people are, but closer to the border everyone is more restrained in life. People of Australia or Spain (usually the 'hot spots' I find rather than one specific country), etc. are more open in both conversation and personality. Up here anyone who makes a sexual joke would be considered a pervert unless they do it with close friends. Down there sex is a pretty openly discussed topic be it in humour or just yacking. That's just one example, of course.

I have strong German ties in my family. A lot of my rellies and friends live over there. Unfortunately through the years I've lost the language. I was rather fluent as a girl, but then everyone just kept speaking English and the whole of German was lost to me. *pouts* Hopefully I'll pick it up quickly enough when I head of to Uni in a year or two and take the course.  

BeMuled MissBeth

Shameless Fairy

19,400 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • First step to fame 200

BeMuled MissBeth

Shameless Fairy

19,400 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • First step to fame 200
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 8:02 am
scruffy012
DNA_Guru
BeMuled MissBeth

WW2: GRAB YOPUR RIFLES FOR YOUR COUNTRY AND THOSE WHO THREATEN IT!

hehe, too true, whats the next war... we turn our backs and wave it off sayig f*** off??? lol

*laughs* Still better than Canada.

Canada's role in any given war of choice: Okay, boys, we're the war relief! *many cheers* Now, what we're gonna do is feed the poor bastards the States are beating on until they're so fat they can't fit into hiding places, and too busy dancing around for our care packages to bother fighting or escaping. *many cheers* Then when the States have gone too far with the pummeling, we'll give each side a ball and a bandaid and send one home crying and the other home grumbling. After that, we'll sort things out by telling the mighty U.S, "Yes, you're the big guys, you're the winners and everyone bows to you. Long live the States!" and we'll tell the other fellas, "You know how big an a***hole the States can be. Just let it go and let them believe they're the good guys. We know what happens when their ego gets bruised."

And that's my take on Canada at war. *winks*  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 8:05 am
BeMuled MissBeth
Well, in all honesty, most other countries are very tight arsed about ... everything. Even up here in Canada. A lot of people think Canadians are very relaxed and friendly people, and we are!, but not as much as others. There's a lot of American influence up here in the north because we're such close neighbors. The farther you go to the north in Canada the more relaxed and friendly people are, but closer to the border everyone is more restrained in life. People of Australia or Spain (usually the 'hot spots' I find rather than one specific country), etc. are more open in both conversation and personality. Up here anyone who makes a sexual joke would be considered a pervert unless they do it with close friends. Down there sex is a pretty openly discussed topic be it in humour or just yacking. That's just one example, of course.

I have strong German ties in my family. A lot of my rellies and friends live over there. Unfortunately through the years I've lost the language. I was rather fluent as a girl, but then everyone just kept speaking English and the whole of German was lost to me. *pouts* Hopefully I'll pick it up quickly enough when I head of to Uni in a year or two and take the course.

Eh, I think the same is sort of ture. You can't really make a sexual joke to someone you've just meant, not everyone anyway. I suppose we can have smutty humour though, whihch is acceptable in certain sphears, but is usually a low-brow sort of thing, unless done cleverly, which it can be done of course.

The only reason I know we might have German is that there is not enough evidence to say that our surname is an addaptation of the German version, or vice-versa.  

WellzY
Crew

DNA_Guru
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 5:25 am
BeMuled MissBeth

Canada's role in any given war of choice: Okay, boys, we're the war relief! *many cheers* Now, what we're gonna do is feed the poor bastards the States are beating on until they're so fat they can't fit into hiding places, and too busy dancing around for our care packages to bother fighting or escaping. *many cheers* Then when the States have gone too far with the pummeling, we'll give each side a ball and a bandaid and send one home crying and the other home grumbling. After that, we'll sort things out by telling the mighty U.S, "Yes, you're the big guys, you're the winners and everyone bows to you. Long live the States!" and we'll tell the other fellas, "You know how big an a***hole the States can be. Just let it go and let them believe they're the good guys. We know what happens when their ego gets bruised."

Yeah, but you Canadians have to deal with the Yanks more than us. I personally think almost every country thinks that about the US. o_O  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 6:40 am
DNA_Guru
BeMuled MissBeth

Yeah, but you Canadians have to deal with the Yanks more than us. I personally think almost every country thinks that about the US. o_O

LOL, hehe thats the funniest comparison ive heard in ages, and one thing ive learnt from ancient history last year...... Ancient Greece and America have some very similiar characteristics, with the whole lets dominate the world, and having a good leader tpo start it all off, (AG- Pericles, USA - dotn know my presidents but there has been some good ones), then having a bad row of leaders after.

And Ancient Greece got its a** whooped by the Persians, in the Persian Wars, (approx 560BC, could be very wrong, DNA probably will correct 3nodding ) who knows the mirror image could only be a fews decades away????  

scruffy012

DNA_Guru
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 7:03 am
scruffy012
And Ancient Greece got its a** whooped by the Persians, in the Persian Wars, (approx 560BC, could be very wrong, DNA probably will correct 3nodding ) who knows the mirror image could only be a fews decades away????

Sam you need to be slapped.
490 - Persians beaten at Marathon
492 - Persians pull back off Macedonian campaign
Persians lost overall. They won at Thermopylae and burnt Athens to the ground, but no they didn't win the war. And that was 480-479BC >_>

THEN the Persians were beaten at Eurymedon in....442 I think o_O
It was in 499 that the Ionian revolt occurred thus the Persians actually won something against the Greeks.

I don't entirely agree on the leadership part. Pericles was good, but he wasn't great. Themistocles and Cleisthenes were just as good if not better. Also, Aristides the creator of the Delian League. Winner.

I give up on my rant now.  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 6:39 pm
WellzY
Eh, I think the same is sort of ture. You can't really make a sexual joke to someone you've just meant, not everyone anyway. I suppose we can have smutty humour though, whihch is acceptable in certain sphears, but is usually a low-brow sort of thing, unless done cleverly, which it can be done of course.

The only reason I know we might have German is that there is not enough evidence to say that our surname is an addaptation of the German version, or vice-versa.

Up here only one's closest friends will even tolerate or enjoy any kind of 'potty humour'. Even a cleverly delivered joke of obscene content will have someone tightening their ... ahem ... cheeks and pushing the stick up even farther. *les sigh* If only we could just relax once in awhile and live for the moment instead of getting so bent out of shape about everything! *laughs* But I live in fantasy ... *giggles*

I'm not sure what the origin of my maiden name is ... I think I'll have to find that out some time. *smiles* Might be interesting.  

BeMuled MissBeth

Shameless Fairy

19,400 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • First step to fame 200

BeMuled MissBeth

Shameless Fairy

19,400 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • First step to fame 200
PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 6:46 pm
DNA_Guru

Every dang day ... *sighs* It's really not that bad, though. It's the American government I hate and find utterly useless. The American people unfortunately suffer a very bad reputation because of the dullards who run their country. As a people, Americans are actually really pleasant (though still tight-a***ed about things) and somewhat knowledgable, or at least willing to learn. They're pretty much victims of their president and media. But there are definitely those yanks out there (mainly in Texas) that I'd like to see erradicated. *grumbles* Bloody right wingers.

DNA_Guru
scruffy012

Sam you need to be slapped.
490 - Persians beaten at Marathon
492 - Persians pull back off Macedonian campaign
Persians lost overall. They won at Thermopylae and burnt Athens to the ground, but no they didn't win the war. And that was 480-479BC >_>

THEN the Persians were beaten at Eurymedon in....442 I think o_O
It was in 499 that the Ionian revolt occurred thus the Persians actually won something against the Greeks.

I don't entirely agree on the leadership part. Pericles was good, but he wasn't great. Themistocles and Cleisthenes were just as good if not better. Also, Aristides the creator of the Delian League. Winner.

I give up on my rant now.

*bows to the Guru* Oh my God, man ... you need to get away from the books and go out once in awhile. You're too damn brilliant ... and I feel like a farkin' moron. *laughs and huggles* You're now one of my Gods. *nod nod*  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 6:46 pm
BeMuled MissBeth
Up here only one's closest friends will even tolerate or enjoy any kind of 'potty humour'. Even a cleverly delivered joke of obscene content will have someone tightening their ... ahem ... cheeks and pushing the stick up even farther. *les sigh* If only we could just relax once in awhile and live for the moment instead of getting so bent out of shape about everything! *laughs* But I live in fantasy ... *giggles*

I'm not sure what the origin of my maiden name is ... I think I'll have to find that out some time. *smiles* Might be interesting.

Wow... really? Not even the snotty nosed youths who feel so intent of rebelling against everything mildly authoritarian don't tollerate such humour? How... depressing. o_0

Scruffty - I think a better comparison would be the Roman Empire, which someone pointed out to me a while ago. Reason being, the Roman Empire began to expand on the basis of deffending it's own territories, and retaliatory attacks on enemies who had caused serious damage, and were believed to be a threat in the future, eg; the Tunisians and Hannibal.  

WellzY
Crew

BeMuled MissBeth

Shameless Fairy

19,400 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • First step to fame 200
PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 7:02 pm
scruffy012
LOL, hehe thats the funniest comparison ive heard in ages, and one thing ive learnt from ancient history last year...... Ancient Greece and America have some very similiar characteristics, with the whole lets dominate the world, and having a good leader tpo start it all off, (AG- Pericles, USA - dotn know my presidents but there has been some good ones), then having a bad row of leaders after.

*curtsies* Thank you, thank you. Please, hold your applause and roses until after the show ... *winks and makes 'gimme more' gestures with hands* I'm glad you enjoy my sense of humour. The sad truth is, however, that that's pretty much the exact role we play whenever we have to 'back the States' in a war. Hats off to you, Trudeau, for hacking and slashing our military forces. *two fingered salute to the sky*  
The Official Australian Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff