Welcome to Gaia! ::

Craftin' - A sewing, knitting and glue kind of place.

Back to Guilds

Reply Craftin'
what type of knitting needles are better? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

what is your fave needle style?
  normal
  circular
  sock, or what ever those dubble ended ones are called
View Results

firrantello

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 10:38 am
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.I'll speak up for metals. I prefer them to bamboo. I also like circulars more than DPNs, but I respect the fact there are good uses for all types of needles.  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 3:45 pm
i like metal ones, they slide better, buts it sjust my preferance mainly be i like for less friction, bamboo are ok but i dont really like it bc i have to manually slide them when i need to knit everytime, plasitc i havnt really tried excpt for one time in a crochet needle, it was stiff but kinda btw metal and bamboo, but leaning towards bamboo razz

Kanhoro

DecemberFlower

2,000 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 11:04 pm
Depends on what I'm knitting. But as for materials, I prefer bamboo to aluminum or plastic.  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 10:35 am
I love circular needles!!! They make everything so much easier! I knitted my first blanket with a set of circular needles. So much easier!  

JadieKitty

Holy Fundip

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 8:37 pm
i have a pair of bamboo and i use them a lot. DPN's, i think, are easier to use while knitting in the round than circular needles. but since my mom provides me with needles she had when she was younger i get the metal ones, but those aren't too bad.

(when i knit with DPN's in the round i put corks on the ends so my stitches don't fall off!)  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 10:32 pm
metals are kewl but i just don't like the cold feeling you get when you pick them up in the morning or at night  

krapolaonastick

Story From The Stars

2,950 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 2:51 pm
firrantello
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.I'll speak up for metals. I prefer them to bamboo. I also like circulars more than DPNs, but I respect the fact there are good uses for all types of needles.

Yea, metals are ok. My only problem with them is that they're so cold. That's why I tend to stick to my plastics more often. And they're a little more flexible, which comes in handy.
I'm not a big fan of bamboo though, too much friction like you said. In fact, I was using my bamboo dpns over the weekend to make a pair of socks and got a weird blister on my finger from the friction...  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:53 am
Holy Fundip
(when i knit with DPN's in the round i put corks on the ends so my stitches don't fall off!)

I'll have to try that next time I make socks - my stitches kept falling off the needles. (Holy Fundip is a genius!)

I'm trying a project on plastic needles right now. They're pretty good, but I still have a slight preference for metal needles.  

Brunette_Star

anashenwrath

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 2:06 pm
LadyAnubis
Depends on what you're doing. I have issues with circulars (I can never get them to work on small projects). DPNs (Double Pointed Needles or those "Double pointed ones") are very handy, but stitches like to slip off the ends (I put point protectors on there to prevent this). I love just plain old straight needles in either metal or wood (not big on plastic, but knitlites are fun. It's just what you're doing and what you like.

i finally bought a pair of knitlites, they're so goofy i just couldn't resist! mrgreen

otherwise, yeah. in terms of the type of needle, it depends on your project.

in terms of material, i prefer metal. i knit ubertight, and i feel like stiches slip off better with metal needles. obviously, though, you should knit with what you're comfy with 4laugh  
Craftin'

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff