Mmm. Poll.
  -eats tim tams-
  -eats vegemits-
  -runs in circles-
View Results

Beautiful Grotesque

Shameless Hoarder

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 3:04 am
That book I mentioned has a website too. I only just finished it and found it. Join The Underground But like I said before, it is a really good book. 3nodding

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 6:08 pm
Frog Juice
You forgot Arnett's being bought out by an American company as well sweatdrop

I agree about the Billabong thing. That really annoys me. This when do Americans have cool words like Billabong anyway? xD. It does annoy me when Australian things are taken over by a company from anywhere that's not Australia, not just America.

The other thing that sort of gets to me is the amount of American content on TV and stuff. Yeah I know they make good programs, but I doubt any other country is as dominated as we are in that respect. We're bloody lap dogs.

I also don't like some of their culture seeping in. What's with all the wiggers and gangs around? Wearing bandanas and caps on backwards with your pants around your knees is not a cool look! It really annoys me when I see that sort of thing. To me it's like they have no imagination whatsoever and have to copy that sort of thing.

Sorry I was ranting sweatdrop but the Americanisation (notice I use an "S" instead of a "Z"? xD) of Australia is something that really gets me fired up.

About the culture part. African Aussies tend to dress up and act like African Americans when you can clearly see the difference between the two. I think it's pretty stupid that they'll be like "HEY YO!" ack nvm.. why can't they just go "howzit goiN mAte!". cheese_whine blah i just needed to let that outta my system it was bugging me. dramallama  

Shingo77

Vashu Is Not A Pervert

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 4:38 am
nah i dont think australia is anything like the usa, we share a few similarities with them and thats it, everything is different, the metric system, the laws etce etc  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 11:37 pm
Nah but a lot of the teens are starting to become Americanised by the way they talk, act and so on….  

Black-Almaz

Vashu Is Not A Pervert

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 8:40 pm
Black-Almaz
Nah but a lot of the teens are starting to become Americanised by the way they talk, act and so on….
i guess it must be which part of the country you live in? everyone speaks like bogans where i live crying  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 11:40 am
OMG DID YOU SAY VASHU
i guess it must be which part of the country you live in? everyone speaks like bogans where i live crying

Hah, dont fret, I live in bogan-ville too!

Personal oppinion, America is a great ally. On the other end of that stick, while we're all running around goin' yeah they're good, and we'd love to have them on side they dont tend to think that way about us. People love Australia, and Australians, otherwise it wouldn't be the world's most popular holiday spot. But honestly, we've got nothing other than a shite-load of land...most of which, isn't all -that- useful.

I dont think that's what makes us Americanised though. The only reason we have so much American TV and general entertainment content is because that's what people buy. You can blame the government until you're blue in the face for letting people bring that 'crap' in...but the fact of the matter is, Johnny Howard did not invest in thousands of copies of Bold and the Beautiful because he wanted it to be a popular show downunder. This American content is our own fault...because it's what the general public chooses they want to watch/see/do. Consumers are at the heart of every country. If you want to play the blame game. Well start looking at yourself, your mates, your next door neighbour, coz to be honest, they're the ones who make and break the money in Australia. If 'we' didn't buy the products, they wouldn't be here. It's as -simple- as that.

Falethial

Meioshi

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 3:33 pm
Shingo77
Frog Juice
You forgot Arnett's being bought out by an American company as well sweatdrop

I agree about the Billabong thing. That really annoys me. This when do Americans have cool words like Billabong anyway? xD. It does annoy me when Australian things are taken over by a company from anywhere that's not Australia, not just America.

The other thing that sort of gets to me is the amount of American content on TV and stuff. Yeah I know they make good programs, but I doubt any other country is as dominated as we are in that respect. We're bloody lap dogs.

I also don't like some of their culture seeping in. What's with all the wiggers and gangs around? Wearing bandanas and caps on backwards with your pants around your knees is not a cool look! It really annoys me when I see that sort of thing. To me it's like they have no imagination whatsoever and have to copy that sort of thing.

Sorry I was ranting sweatdrop but the Americanisation (notice I use an "S" instead of a "Z"? xD) of Australia is something that really gets me fired up.

About the culture part. African Aussies tend to dress up and act like African Americans when you can clearly see the difference between the two. I think it's pretty stupid that they'll be like "HEY YO!" ack nvm.. why can't they just go "howzit goiN mAte!". cheese_whine blah i just needed to let that outta my system it was bugging me. dramallama

Excuse me? I'm sorry if ican Aussies can't use their own slang. African Americans don't even really say what you call "Hey Yo". It's a slang used by many. Not just African Aussies, British, Americans, and whoever else decides to use it. Second of all, it's not really a culture, it's a style, many people dress with the particular style. And how would you like it if someone said that howzit goin mate? So before you streotype a specific culture and/or race. Get ur facts straight mate.  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 2:04 am
Falethial

I dont think that's what makes us Americanised though. The only reason we have so much American TV and general entertainment content is because that's what people buy. You can blame the government until you're blue in the face for letting people bring that 'crap' in...but the fact of the matter is, Johnny Howard did not invest in thousands of copies of Bold and the Beautiful because he wanted it to be a popular show downunder. This American content is our own fault...because it's what the general public chooses they want to watch/see/do. Consumers are at the heart of every country. If you want to play the blame game. Well start looking at yourself, your mates, your next door neighbour, coz to be honest, they're the ones who make and break the money in Australia. If 'we' didn't buy the products, they wouldn't be here. It's as -simple- as that.

On that; it's called the "Marketing Concept", which sounds kinda funny, seeing as it is a business production strategy, but it's the popular strategy nowadays.

The strategy is that a business will produce goods needed and/or wanted by the market (potential customers) and then agressively advertise and push for those items to be nought by the market.

Therefore; the businesses have sensed the potential to expand an American culture in Australia, and then when it worked, multiple other industries followed suit.  

The Curse

Hermit of the Hills

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 3:57 am
I think Australia's always had a bit of an identity crisis. Just like everywhere else I suppose - it's something different to each person depending on their personal beliefs, socio-economic status etc. Comparatively, we've always been a pretty mixed society too which doesn't really help in clarifying matters.
Anyway, as a whole I think we are becoming more American, but we're just following a global trend. The world has always followed in the footsteps of the greatest economic power, I think it's just more apparent now because we have the technology for us to be influenced almost instantaneously.  
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 10:33 am
this reminds me

Link

Edited by WellzY:

Please try not to stretch the page.

Bio-Weapon84

Mush monster

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 12:31 am
It's true. But what can we do?  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 1:23 am
Just a random perspective on the are we becoming like America; in ways, yes. But even then, it's watered down. We have plenty of fast food chains that are taken from the states, our products are being owned by American companies, their television, clothing, music and language is merging into our culture. But I can say from having been there, we are nothing like America. There are hints of American life in our own, but believe me, there's probably more of a British influence than American, at least from what I've seen. Over there, there's waaaay more fast food outlets, life really is made to be quick and easy (seriously, parfait comes already made in tubs).
Before I went over there, I was of the mind that yes, Australia is becoming too Americanised, but since returning, all I can say is that they're a powerful ally, but there's just as much influence from other cultures as there is from America.
(BTW, sorry if any of that's incoherant, I'm half dead with a cold at the moment and the brain's turned to mush.)  

Lady Dao

nrasjaa

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 9:35 pm
yus we are becoming over weight xenophobic americans..... *hands out tickets to hell*  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:58 am
I agree that we're becoming Americanised. Like Hermit of the Hills said, we have always had a bit of an identity crisis. For so long people still considered themselves to be British, then the WWI happened and Australian's started to form their own identity. But once again we don't seem to be able to think for ourselves and have to be like another nation, and America being the most influential, that seems to be what has been chosen.  

goddess_tyche

Pure Evil Inc

4,700 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Cart Raider 100
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 5:59 pm
Well the first step is getting rid of Sesame Street. It took me almost 6 months to stop my 3 year old brother to stop saying 'zee' instead of 'zed', and I'm still trying to get him to switch from cayn't (can't) to carn't (can't).  
The Official Australian Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff