Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

WinRAR

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 5:47 pm
Perverse
WinRAR
It might have something to do with popularity, but really now.
What is popularity in the AT?
A regular who is able to build well-thought and creative avatars.

If a popular person can still get 9's and 10's even with multiple items from a set, it's more likely that they made it creative and different, as opposed to someone just throwing on a set and some starter hair and asking for a rate.
The general populace of the AT also know that the "popular" person they are rating that has a set on knows that he/she has a set and is purposely doing it to obtain a certain effect.
They aren't doing it blindly like some do.

I dislike whole sets, but I don't count out for two items from the same set as long as they are set further apart from each other.
A coat and pants from the same set bother me, as they are placed so close together and kind of make it obvious that the person couldn't manage with any other items.
However, it depends on their theme and stuffs.

Popularity, to me, is all based on perception.

Just because someone is known for making good avatars it shouldn't give them a label that all their avatars are good by default. Since when does reputation substitute for actually expending effort to create an avatar? I just don't think it's fair to hold certain people to these ridiculously high standards while breezing by them for others who are well-known. And just because they were aiming for a look doesn't mean they couldn't find other items to use. If someone is using a whole set then it just seems like they were cutting corners to me, no matter who it is.

Popularity isn't solely based on good creative abilities either. I've made quite a few high-rated avatars during my time in AT and I'm nowhere near the status of "popular".

I never said all of their avatars are good. ^ ~^;
By all means, I've seen a bunch that have sucked.
But I'm more inclined to give a person a higher rating if they made that set original, as opposed to someone who just put on the set.
There are also times when you're going for a certain effect and can't find anything to match or go well with the other items you have on. (Which probably only results in one or two different items from a set.)

Just being popular in general won't get you very good ratings. At least it shouldn't. But as far as I've seen in the AT, (almost) everyone that is popular usually has a strategy or well-thought of avatar. So their set-usage isn't just "Hai guys look wut i got!"

However, if I used a complete set and then went back and spiffed up my set with accesories out of my a**, I would expect the AT to rate me on how well I pulled off the set. Not how original I was.

If I just threw on a set, I'd be pretty dissapointed if I still got high rates. :

For me, it would depend on what the person is trying to go for.

Edit: This No one even really bothered to rate him. And even though I think his avatar is fun, I wouldn't give him a 9000%. gonk
I see a few flaws. ;/
And I know this isn't a set avatar, but it's along the lines of "Important people get higher ratings".

. _.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 9:42 pm
popularity is a major thing in the Avatar Talk. Every now and then when I go in with my mule I get ignored when i make rate me threads, or when i give out lower rates becuase i dont like the outfit as much. But if i go on my main i dont get as MUCH attention since I dont frequent the AT much .. but the older members i know pop in which is nice, and i guess my "rich" status makes people want to suck up to me sometimes. confused

oh, and on the issue of sets, i could really care less. If the avatar is good, its good. I always hated it when people took off because i wore the pimp hat and shoes at the same time. they look good together and i like them. my avatar can be creative with using set items.  

Katsup

candycrack
Captain

Fashionable Glitch

11,250 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Battle: Rogue 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 10:17 pm
Katsup
popularity is a major thing in the Avatar Talk. Every now and then when I go in with my mule I get ignored when i make rate me threads, or when i give out lower rates becuase i dont like the outfit as much. But if i go on my main i dont get as MUCH attention since I dont frequent the AT much .. but the older members i know pop in which is nice, and i guess my "rich" status makes people want to suck up to me sometimes. confused

oh, and on the issue of sets, i could really care less. If the avatar is good, its good. I always hated it when people took off because i wore the pimp hat and shoes at the same time. they look good together and i like them. my avatar can be creative with using set items.

I used the pimp items together quite a bit, sometimes hat shoes and cane. I never personally got alot of comments for doing so then again for some reason I don't really get honest rates. rolleyes  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 7:54 pm
The pimp items are an anomaly. I can wear the hat and cane or shoes and cane, but the hat and shoes always gets me yelled at.

I still have yet to figure out why.

Perverse

Big Member

candycrack
Captain

Fashionable Glitch

11,250 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Battle: Rogue 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 4:10 am
Perverse
The pimp items are an anomaly. I can wear the hat and cane or shoes and cane, but the hat and shoes always gets me yelled at.

I still have yet to figure out why.

I have no idea, people see two main things from a set and scream OMG UNORIGINAL. Its just getting ridiculous.  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 8:18 pm
User Image
1. Never wear a fox item. Set or even the one I can stand. xd

If its a large set of items then 2 or possibly 3 is fine. Like the Nurse set, no problem with the gloves and skirt. (Lets face it those gloves rock.)

If its a small set of items, then only one. That flame top look like the flame pants. ******** that.

Shiver`

Frozen Sex Symbol

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces