Welcome to Gaia! ::

Craftin' - A sewing, knitting and glue kind of place.

Back to Guilds

Reply Craftin'
Belated Christmas Ornaments. Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Have you ever made a Christmas ornament?
  Yes indeed.
  Tried, and failed.
  Nope.
View Results

Volatile Rainbow

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 11:11 am
YourAzureGoddess
If you mix up a old fashioned sugar cookie (one that's designed to be crispy rather than stay chewy) you can cut a hole in the top before baking and after they cook and are frosted you can dry them and use them as ornaments.

In fact most cookies sold in the stores will also dry out nicely.

This picture is of a Saint Patricks Day tree (our roof was being repaired so nothing could be stored in the attics, including the Christmas tree) done on the cheap. alot of the ornaments are, in fact, cookies. PLain old twisted streamers make a decent garland too.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

That tree is lovely. I'm kind of a holiday freak, and for some reason the idea of leaving the tree out all year and decorating it differently for every holiday appeals to me.

My fiance would hate me for it, though xd  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 4:26 pm
Volatile Rainbow
The stupid glitter pens I bought for the chain are crap, even though I got the most expensive ones I could find, thinking they would be better quality. I laid out the construction paper and did the designs I wanted, and it's been two days and they STILL aren't dry. I'm thinking about using my leftover sequins and glueing them onto the paper links, but I don't know how messy that would turn out to be, or even if it would work.

Believe me, expensive != good. Hmm... depending on the level of sparkle you want, I would either use jelly roll pens (metallic, glitter, what have you) or crayola glitter markers - kochi tells me that those are dip-and-draw, apply actual glitter, and all you need is a little cup of water and a paper towel so they don't get too wet.

kochi = Mikono, by the way. xD  

kamiyra

Volatile Rainbow

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 6:28 pm
I've got twelve ornaments now, and one more in the making. I only stopped because my fingers started to bleed. When I get my tree up and decorated, you bet I'm gonna post a picture so you guys can see the full glory of your advice put into practice! smile  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 6:51 pm
I am just rembering my mummy has a set of like four stuffed thingeys with sparkley things on them. They were like birds or bears etc.
they were great, we use em every year.  

I be me
Vice Captain

x_dreamweaver_x

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 7:16 pm
This is pretty basic compared to everyone else, but you could take a cereal box and cut out shapes. Then you can do something to decorate them. Sounds like fun to me! mrgreen  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 4:08 am
So I was trying to think of what would be an appropriate, cheap, but cute topper for the tree, and here's what I came up with:

When I was little, I had a crapload of Barbie dolls, and I held onto them because when I have a little girl I want her to have them (the new Barbies are freaky and way too Bratz-like). But I figure I can spare one that I have--the Rapunzel Barbie. She's got long blonde hair past her feet, and she came in a pretty princess-style gown that with minor alterations could easily be angelic. I'm going to go out and purchase some irridescent sequins and some soft (felt?) fabric, and sew her some wings. I think I may even have a little Barbie trumpet somewhere that I can put in her hand.

What do y'all think? It'll still look like a Barbie doll, obviously--but I think it could be really cute! 3nodding  

Volatile Rainbow

Volatile Rainbow

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 4:11 am
x_dreamweaver_x
This is pretty basic compared to everyone else, but you could take a cereal box and cut out shapes. Then you can do something to decorate them. Sounds like fun to me! mrgreen

I think we did that when I was in kindergarten. Yeah, and we put glitter on them and thread framing the outside. Oooh, and pinecones! Did any of you ever roll pinecones in glue and glitter for your tree when you were little?

I find that some of the best ideas for decorating comes from dumb little projects that they made you do in elementary school...  
Craftin'

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff