Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
Color/Colour Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Cheerfulhope

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 9:26 pm
Does it really matter with that kind of trivial thing? Of course we all are different and have different opinions, but it's the union of those things that keeps peace. It's just spelling, not the metric system. I'm from America and I'm proud of it, but I have no problems with foreign spelling systems. Honestly, such a thing isn't worth verbal slashes. I apologize for any rudeness assumed by this post, but I'm only responding as bluntly and frankly as I can as respectively and politely as I can.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:53 am
I think that the BB code should continue using 'color' instead of 'colour'. It's shorter, and America has a larger populaton then the UK. . . atleast I think it does.  

LunaxXxNick

3,950 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Window Shopper 100
  • Person of Interest 200

Masamune no Hi

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 11:09 am
Actually, yes, the US has a larger population than the UK. In fact, it is the 3rd largest in terms of population.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:46 pm
Well, IMO software written and produced in the USA should use the American spellings of such word because its correct according to American english. And I don't think there's anything wrong with either spelling for those of the nationality it pertains to, but if you're an Australian/English citizen and you spell it color, well for you and your education system and version of the language it is wrong.

Which is more correct in an academic sense?
I would say the original spelling. Which is colour/labour/clamour and for the s/z debate the s versions. I mean it is "English", as in the Queen's English, and academically thus the English version has the edge of being the original.

This being said, dialects are perfectly valid and there's absolutely nothing wrong with spelling according to the rules of your native dialect.  

jackthepumpkinhead

Masamune no Hi

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 7:48 am
It may be naive, but we changed it to seperate ourselves from England. I'm not saying it's perfect, but I live here and didn't know about the 'u' in armor/armour, color/colour, etc. for a while.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 5:58 pm
Galadedrid Damodred
It's the same with honor/honour, armor/armour, labor/labour...

Where I live (Usa, mn)
We use... Honor (sometimes you'll see the other one) armor and armour, and labor.... o.O  

+.Dreaming.of.a.Place.+

MyOwnBestCritic

Dapper Dabbler

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 7:15 pm
Galadedrid Damodred
It's the same with honor/honour, armor/armour, labor/labour...

Also favourite/favorite. I think Canada uses the "u," and it's just America that goes without. But that's only a miniscule difference between dialects... there are probably over 100 words that are different between countries... boot/trunk, bonnet/hood, suspender/garter, garter/suspender, and the word "bloody" (which is awesome, by the way). It's not just the "u."  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 10:05 pm
COLOUR! Go Canada!  

Wishes Dont Come True

Layalas

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 9:11 am
I read this in a post a while back but I can't remember who posted it... (feel free to correct me)

American wanted to distance themselves from the English ~ yes.
They took out the "u" because they want to spell pheonetically (I think I spelt that right)

As far as I am aware Americans saw the "u" as unnessacary. (Spelling?) It like centre and center. I have seen both spellings (Apologiese as I can't remember where I just know I have). They both mean the same thing the difference is one is pheonetically spelt.

I am British for anyone who wonders {Though I would sooner be a New Zealander - I love New Zealand} I'm personally quite fine with both spellings. I do loads of coding - an example being the fact I have spelt it color to change the text colour. But as I just did there I easily revert back to how it was taught. Really something like this doesn't matter - it's all about where you come from. Just like how you speak, what you speak, the way you act, how you dress ...etc It all depends where you come from.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 9:45 am
Is it really worth it to fight over an extra "u?" I'll agree that it looks more proper and artistic, but then again language and expression is so much more than that.

I don't think dialects and different spellings should be done away with, especially in literature. It's one of those things that let me know where I stand in the book's setting. Without little things like that, it's harder to immerse oneself into the book's world.

For instance, I hate it when books translated from other languages erase or warp untranslatable culture aspects of the language. Keep them there! Add a footnote, something, if that's what it takes to keep me understanding, but I really need that! When we were reading Crime and Punishment in our literature class, I had a version that butchered the Russian aspects of the language and culture. The result was that throughout the book I didn't feel like I was in Russia at all, and I couldn't get into the story! cry  

FieryKnife

Veritas Unae_Nanashi

Dapper Conversationalist

8,750 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Full closet 200
  • Gender Swap 100
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 5:51 pm
You're all forgetting about the Australian users of this site. We here in AUS use the "u" and so maybe they should change it to colour (which i never write down properly first time... it comes out as cloour sweatdrop ) to accommodate UK and AUS Gaians.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 9:49 am
Sasuke Avalon
You're all forgetting about the Australian users of this site. We here in AUS use the "u" and so maybe they should change it to colour (which i never write down properly first time... it comes out as cloour sweatdrop ) to accommodate UK and AUS Gaians.

Yes, it would be nice for you, but does it really matter as long as we all understand each other?  

Cheerfulhope

kyuuketsuki4

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:19 am
I don't really care how people spell it. Personally, I use the u because I somehow got into the habit. Probably from the book I read in 6th grade that spelt it that way, actually; I loved that book. What makes me mad is when people make a big deal over it. An example is one time when I was in french class.

Me: How do you spell "favorite"?(the french word)
Teacher: The same way as "favorite"
Me(after writing favourite): Wait, is there a u in that, because I spell favourite with a u
Classmate: No there's no u, they aren't the British!
Me: Well that's how I spell it so I was just checking."
Classmate: Well don't spell it like that, you're not in England!

Well, it was something along those lines anyways. People like that just make me mad because I know other people here in the United States that use the u too, and it doesn't make them any less correct. I also know of teachers that will take off for it, but I'll just end my little rant now.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:35 am
I am American, and I personally prefer 'colour'.

Unfortunately, every time I spell it so, my damn spell checker flags me.

Stupid America...  

ragdoll19

PlatinumChild

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 4:46 pm

The first time I saw the word "colour" I was really thrown off XD

I'm an ESL student that was taught in America, so I had alwas seen it as "color". I have nothing against the word "colour" but seeing as how I was tought the American version, that's how I'll spell it. It doesn't bother me either way, it's just how I was tought. O.o

What does bother me is when people have something against one way of spelling it, or the other way of spelling it, because as far as I can tell, they're both correct.

[Shan.Raikou]

Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces