Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
Cutsieisms Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Lost In The Red

Romantic Lover

20,050 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Supreme Supporter 500
  • Rat Conqueror 500
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 11:23 pm
Quote:
I have a friend who has a speach impediment

*edit* Yay! I got the first post on the second page *edit*

(Yes, I know it's not really a great achievment.... but still)  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 1:42 am
Ezra Pound
It's not even ******** shortening the correct words. There is no goddamn point to it.

Exactly.

As for people who speak (as opposed to type) like that on purpose (I mean, there are people who can't help it, and that's different), how can they not realise that it makes them sound silly?

I don't like using "cutesieisms", not even to be funny, especially not "wabbit" and the like because I have a Cantonese accent. Cantonese doesn't have an R sound, so it is common for Cantonese speakers who are learning to speak English to pronounce Rs as Ws, but that's exactly why I don't want to do that.

This is somewhat off-topic, but the topic of baby talk reminds me of Briar Rose by Jane Yolen. One of the characters from it hated baby talk (it was either Shana or Sylvia, I don't remember which one and I don't have the book with me, it's probably Shana), and her mother insisted that she spoke in full sentences right away when she started speaking.  

The MoUsY spell-checker

splashseal

Fluffy Bunny

19,225 Points
  • Little Bunny Foo Foo 100
  • Pet Lover 100
  • Gifting Gone Wild 250
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 4:31 am
Now that books were mentioned, that reminds me of a book I read with a person like that. Great book, it was, so I am surprised that I didn't remember it, but it is Sons and Lovers by D. H. Lawrence. In it is a minor female character who used baby talk and substituted W's for R's. I felt the pain of Rupert, one of the main characters; I wanted to stab her, too.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 6:41 am
LostInTheRed
I use "meh" to signifiy my mood at times. For example: "How are you?" "Meh...."

^ I use "meh" in that way, too... but I don't like "meh" for "me" or anything else where they add the "eh"... it just makes it look stupid.
As for "chappie" and "ficcie" - if I read those anywhere, like on fictionpress or something, it immediately turns me off from reading the story. It's not that hard to write the word "Chapter". And isn't "ficcie" supposed to be "fic" (or "fiction"? I'm not sure what fic stands for exactly). It seems a waste to type more letters when you don't have to.  

Aubrey Nicole

Ame Yuki Kaze

Clean Seeker

4,100 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 9:22 am
LostInTheRed: Please punctuate your sentences' posteriors. Thank you.

dorkifiedchick

^ I use "meh" in that way, too... but I don't like "meh" for "me" or anything else where they add the "eh"... it just makes it look stupid.
As for "chappie" and "ficcie" - if I read those anywhere, like on fictionpress or something, it immediately turns me off from reading the story. It's not that hard to write the word "Chapter". And isn't "ficcie" supposed to be "fic" (or "fiction"? I'm not sure what fic stands for exactly). It seems a waste to type more letters when you don't have to.

I'll admit to using "meh" to convey my mood as well. Like you, that's the only way I use it.

I generally find the stories of authors who use those words to be sub par. I do use fanfic as an abbreviation for fanfiction, but "ficcie" sounds like something a toddler would say.

Another one I hate is "potty". Come on people, this isn't preschool!  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 10:07 am
I really hope people who use those spellings don't complain when other people don't take them seriously. Because THEN I'd have to punch them. They should at least know the consequences for saying things like that. stare

"Cutsieisms" is a good word for those, by the way.  

FieryKnife

Byrn_in_hel

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 12:39 pm
One of my big pet peeves is the word "teh". I can understand when you accidentaly misspell "the", but when you use it on purpose to make yourself look cute, I feel like I have to strangle something.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 4:41 pm
Like the majority here, I only use "meh" to convey a mood of not really caring about the topic at hand. I will be the first to say that I do occasionally use "charrie" for character, but that is the only cutsieism that I will use... and only when talking to certain people.  

Angel80272

PlatinumChild

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 4:52 pm

I rarely ever use those, even when I'm being silly.

Because that's just what those are.....silly.

As for describing my mood, "meh" really is how I feel sometimes, but I preffer using "bleh..."

[Shan.Raikou]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 5:28 pm
LostInTheRed
I have a friend who has a speach impediment and pronounces his R's and W's. So he says "wabbit" and "weally", but he is the only person I can tolerate...

I do too. I love people like that. At first you think they have an accent. So you ask. They're used to it. "No," they say, "I've lived here all my life and so has most of my family." And they're pretty cool with us making fun of something they can't control. It's funny.

"It's like 'R'-rated Rugrats."
"Four horrible squirrels."

They join drama and debate team.

Gachetemas

Cheerfulhope

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 12:24 pm
I usually only use "cutesieisms" when I'm in Happypenguin-mode. (That's correct spelling by the way. She's my split personality.) I use "ficcies" mainly because the word "fanfiction" just sounds a little dull to me. I like the word "huggles" because "hugs (insert name)" is just way too blase'. However, like many have said before, "meh" as in "me", I don't use. I would prefer "neh" to express my mood. Also, I don't know why, but "charrie" is just a little too creepy. I believe I have only used it once in my lifetime. *shudders* ... What dark times those were... ninja  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 12:39 pm
Some of my friends talk in "cutesieisms" and it is very annoying.. confused  

-HelloHearts-

KadajNu

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 7:36 pm
I can't stand it when people do that. It's worst in chatrooms because people are trying to say something fast, but they can't type worth crap, so they just shorten stuff in really stupid ways. I hate it.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 10:48 pm
I admit to using cutsieisms sometimes. I too prefer "neh", but a lot of the cutsieisms I use are only when I'm joking around in SUPERHYPEREDOFANGIRL-mode and start using txt tlk to represent some of my...odder imaginative inventions. It's not the same without it. XP
Charrie is rare for me, and ficcie equals yuck. Huggles is also used in the abovementioned mode, as well as meh, teh, and some others! It's like I'm typing out the first things that come to mind in my insanity.

...Don't smite me! Please? *hides in a corner*  

chrystalclear

Colourburn

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 10:49 pm
Hmmm... I often use "meh" in speech and writing.

Example:

Random person: "How was work?"
MissCyanide: "Meh... work sucked. As always."

I always enjoy "Bleh" as well!

EDIT: I really should have read all the replies before posting my own. It appears I'm not the only person here who uses "meh" in that way. Oh, and I do like huggles. Whether given or received!

4laugh  
Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces