Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
Little History about TXT TLK Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Is it annoying when people talk TXT TLK?
  Yes; No
View Results

sentimentation

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 8:45 am
Text messaging is my ONLY exception to my "no txt tlk" rule, and even then it's ONLY when typing out entire words would either (a) take too long when i've got a time-sensitive-type message or (b) take up too much space, forcing my text onto 2 pages (and I'm paranoid about text message spending!)  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 9:48 am
Chase Keyhole
"TXT TLK" Drives me insane and anyone who uses it should be shot in the foot. =)

I wouldn't want to shoot them in the foot. gonk But still, they should be raised better than that.  

saotomi5102

darkrose_eve

1,450 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 10:06 am
I don't like text talk much but I have been guilty of using it in the past when I want to keep the conversation going faster, sincew I type quite slowly. I think that the type of text talk that annoys me the most is when people put 4rm, Cya, 2... Wouldn't 4rm be said fourrm? Also it doesn't really take so long to spell out to. These ones are the ones that I not only see online but when my friends write me a letter or in my yearbook. It's simply too annoying.  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 7:49 pm
The only way I would allow any one of my friends to use text-talk (And not be killed instantly for it) is if they're sending an actual text message, and only if they're in a huge hurry and the message is really short. (Sorry for any typos or bad grammar in this post, I'm going on one hour of sleep for the past two nights combined. sweatdrop )  

Angelic_wolf_babe

SilverBellsAbove

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 12:19 pm
Oh yes! That is absolutely correct: In the era of the telegram WORDS were expensive, so txt tlk was justified. On some cell phone plans, the same kind of dilemma arises. In that situation, it's perfectly acceptable if you don't want to pay money to say something.

But because words on the internet are free, I don't think that it's really necessary to txt tlk. It's not like grammar costs money online.

For anyone interested, read a book called The Victorian Internet. It's all about the telegraph and the evolution of communications, as well as society's changes because of it.

I find it fascinating, personally. Go read. It's good. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 2:48 pm
I hate when people 'TXT TALK' When they text me, It's like they don't find you important enough to take time and write properly.  

Serious~Sarcasm

Deyvon

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 3:41 pm
The only reason I text type when I text is because my older phones could not send a two page long text, so I had to use it in order for it all to fit.
Most of the time I do not use text type, and that is how my girlfriend knows I have somebody else texting for me(like when I am driving or have my hands full).  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 5:57 pm
limp d**k
How do you "txt tlk" in conversation?
Whomever you know who is able to do such is just bizarre.

I don't think it's fine anywhere.
It's just a degradation of human intellect.

You would think people would not use it in conversation. But this is not true, my friends use it all the time (I don't know why, it makes no sense) They will say things such as 'lol' or 'omg'. Go figure.  

X.x.Nari.x.X

Anime Panda

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 6:33 pm
Trinity_Beach169
I don't really like to text talk. I find it unneeded. but i do spell alot of things wrong. -smile-

Misspelling accidentally is acceptable. It's mispelling things on purpose that annoys me. I'm guilty of it though, like "teh" or "waddayatink" stressed sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:57 am
I consider myself to be literate, but if anyone should meet me in person (and I hope you don't), then you'd notice I'd speak "txt tlk" when trying to be humorous or light-hearted...and not even ALL the time. Maybe just in the situation. I could be playing Super Smash Brothers Melee, and someone could knock me out, to which I'd reply "WTF, mate!?!" It's a game, man. X^D A fun game, so why be serious about it?
Does this make me some kind of odd hybrid creature to be spat upon, to use it within the context of humor, or to show a point?
When people use it all the time....like, even speaking to a teacher...then they fail at life. D:
It's not as though I use the 'txt tlk' typing all the time. I will use words like "lawlz" in speech and in typing a sparce amount.

........And after saying this, I'm probably going to get kicked out the guild. emo

Ex:
Teacher: So why Jack kill Piggy?
Student: cuz jack wnated piggy to stfu n gtfo teh island.
Teacher:.............Excuse me, class...if you need me, I'll be in my office crying my eyes out.  

SonarP

Angelic-Sargeant

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:01 am
Well, on Gaia, when Gaians use text talk, I go mad! But on some sites, not so mad. But when people actualy speak text talk, outloud. In the real world, then I go crazy. If you have no time to use your voice to say words, instead of rambled letters and numbers, then you have -100 IQ. I also hate "1337" talk anywhere, especaily in the real world. "1337" talk is untranslateable to me.

Oh, and by the way, can someone help me learn to uncode "1337" talk?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:16 am
Personally I subconsciously read abbreviations like 'OMG' and 'gtg' as what they actually stand for, so I never speak in Txt-tlk, since I automatically read it unabbriviated.  

MadnessFreak

Once Was

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:13 pm
I'm the same way. I don't read them like "O-M-G" but I read it like "Oh my God," so I don't speak in it. I definitely don't type in txt tlk when I'm IMing people or anything, it annoys me. I will if I'm in a rush or if I'm actually texting someone and it's long or like one in the morning. The only word that I normally always type as txt tlk is cuz and I'm not even sure how I got into that but I did. I also use 'lol' and I have never actually sat there and typed out Laugh out loud unless explaining to someone what 'lol' meant.  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 1:39 pm
I only use text talk when my boyfriend is texting me to my computer.

To me, an essay with text talk is UNACCEPTABLE. The last person who brought such a thing before me reported me to my boss because I was ranting how bad that looked on a research paper. whee I'd do it again too.  

Patron with a Mission

SonarP

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 8:40 pm
ARMA--
If you check Jay's Site somewhere on the Internet, or anywhere on the Internet, you'll most likely come across a "l33t" translator.

There's a time and place for everything, m'friends. For me, it's humor. Not for anything important.  
Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff