Reply Fetal Containment Field
MORE Japanese Culture Tidbits Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

The Velveteen Violinist

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 8:33 pm

They'll ask you questions about Marylin Monroe and the Olsen Twins and assume they're in the right ritz of "America" society.

Trust me.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 9:15 pm
Three MORE tidbits!  

The Velveteen Violinist

LadyInWhite

3,800 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 4:21 pm
I wonder what you do to realise these things about your country. o_O  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 10:13 pm
LadyInWhite
I wonder what you do to realise these things about your country. o_O
...I never thought about it until I came to Gaia, land of the Japanophiles.  

The Velveteen Violinist

RMarques

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 1:29 pm
Going to a foreign country or dating a foreign person seems like the best way to see the bad side of your country, at least in certain prespectives. The guy that did the site I linked to, told us how dating him made his (then at least) japanese girlfriend find a whole new side of Japan she didn't like one bit.  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 4:19 pm
RMarques
Going to a foreign country or dating a foreign person seems like the best way to see the bad side of your country, at least in certain prespectives. The guy that did the site I linked to, told us how dating him made his (then at least) japanese girlfriend find a whole new side of Japan she didn't like one bit.

Or you can just grow up there.

No matter what they say, 80% of the male population definitely ain't feminist. You know, for the while I went to summer school there, guess what?

THEY F'JORKIN' HAD SEPARATE POTENTIAL CAREER CHOICES FOR GENDERS!!!

But to do it justice, that was... Like... YEARS ago. And that was the summer school in the middle of nowhere.  

The Velveteen Violinist

MipsyKitten
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 9:39 pm
I've spent my life split between Britain and the USA. I can see the good and bad points of both, however when I was in school I wanted nothing more than to go to school in the US. Thankfully when I left school and learned more about American high schools, I changed my mind PDQ.  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 2:02 pm
Ok, tidbits questions time!

1- Is true that Japanese grandma's are scary, especially for foreigners?

2- Is it true that even if you are speaking japanese, if you don't look at least asian, most people will assume that you can't speak japanese, and will either threat you like a 5 years old, flat-out refuse to talk to you, or, if there's someone somewhat japanese looking (and by this, I mean facial features wise) around, they'll talk to him/her?

That's it for now... I'll probably remenber more later on...  

RMarques

The Velveteen Violinist

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 5:50 pm
MipsyKitten
I've spent my life split between Britain and the USA. I can see the good and bad points of both, however when I was in school I wanted nothing more than to go to school in the US. Thankfully when I left school and learned more about American high schools, I changed my mind PDQ.
XD I'm assuming that you live in Britain? *Just say a Fur-Real friends Newborn Kitten commercial. O.o* You know, I like American schools better because the Japanese way of teaching just doens't fit me at all.  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 5:52 pm
RMarques
Ok, tidbits questions time!

1- Is true that Japanese grandma's are scary, especially for foreigners?

2- Is it true that even if you are speaking japanese, if you don't look at least asian, most people will assume that you can't speak japanese, and will either threat you like a 5 years old, flat-out refuse to talk to you, or, if there's someone somewhat japanese looking (and by this, I mean facial features wise) around, they'll talk to him/her?

That's it for now... I'll probably remenber more later on...

1. I can't generalize because they're just so many grandmothers there. O.o By my own experience, my Grandmother is very scary.
2. Eh? I'm not that sure. I would assume so, to tell you the truth- there are a lot of streotyping-people that will assume that. But I don't know. O.o  

The Velveteen Violinist

RMarques

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 3:22 am
..Le Chat du Noir
. Eh? I'm not that sure. I would assume so, to tell you the truth- there are a lot of streotyping-people that will assume that. But I don't know. O.o

heh, I've heard a lot of stories about similar events. In one, an american girl entered a cab, and things went on like this (mind you, the whole conversation was spoken in Japanese):

Girl: Hi. Can you please take me to *some place I forgot*?

Driver: I don't speak english.

Girl: ... Well, I'm speaking japanese, right? So that shouldn't be a problem.

Driver: I don't speak English...

And on and on, untill she just left the cab.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 4:53 pm
RMarques
..Le Chat du Noir
. Eh? I'm not that sure. I would assume so, to tell you the truth- there are a lot of streotyping-people that will assume that. But I don't know. O.o

heh, I've heard a lot of stories about similar events. In one, an american girl entered a cab, and things went on like this (mind you, the whole conversation was spoken in Japanese):

Girl: Hi. Can you please take me to *some place I forgot*?

Driver: I don't speak english.

Girl: ... Well, I'm speaking japanese, right? So that shouldn't be a problem.

Driver: I don't speak English...

And on and on, untill she just left the cab.

O.o Ho snap, are you serious? XD  

The Velveteen Violinist

RMarques

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 6:43 am
Well, I am, but I don't know if the girl telling this was... Hence my question xD  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 6:15 pm
..Le Chat du Noir..
MipsyKitten
XD I'm assuming that you live in Britain? *Just say a Fur-Real friends Newborn Kitten commercial. O.o* You know, I like American schools better because the Japanese way of teaching just doens't fit me at all.
Right now I'm in England, but plan on moving back to the US pretty damn soon. I don't know what it is, but I feel like I belong in the US, even though I grew up and had all of my schooling in the UK. Even with all this abortion/anti-gay/bullshit war thing going on, I still feel better in the US.  

MipsyKitten
Crew

MipsyKitten
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 4:16 pm
Question for Le Chat. Does modern Japanee culture have the strict codes of family honour like they did in the past?  
Fetal Containment Field

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff