Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
Y'know... Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Triste

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 5:31 pm
MuffinChick54
Triste
Reason 2 Hate
Just because you're more literate than others doesn't make you all that much better.

Unless that person has a certain physical or mental disability that makes them unable to do their best in adhering to commonly-accepted rules for the written English, I have every right to be annoyed by their laziness and ignorance.
'
My first lanuge isn't even English and I speak/type it better then many people who it is their frist langue.

Same here.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 5:48 pm
Reason 2 Hate
What really gets me is why a lot of you act so superior when talking about people who do use chat speak, or aren't the most literate of folks. I mean, ********. Why? Just because you're more literate than others doesn't make you all that much better. I joined the guild because I figured I'd be able to sit and chat with interesting people. No sooner do I find out it's more or less a guild that dogs on those with poor grammar skills. Seeing s**t like this just makes me want to convert to the "lower society" of your eyes. Even though that'd be hard as hell because when you're used to one thing, it becomes an automatic. What the ********, people? You folks have no reason to hate. -.- Sorry to the folks who don't indulge in the insulting of those that aren't as literate. neutral

User Image
User Image

~*~**~***~****~*****~****~***~**~*

We, or I should say I, don't think I'm superior. I came here to improve my grammar. I don't think that those who use text talk are inferior, I just think they should type out their words and try to use proper grammar, because it makes it easier for many of us to understand. However, I do admit that I make fun of the way certain things sound, because usually, text talkers are very dramatic, or very noob-ish (not all of them!).

I don't claim to be interesting, but there are a lot of people here who are.

Please don't convert to the "illiterate society" (I refuse to say "lower", but they seem illiterate), I like being able to understand you without having to decode your posts ^_^

Random: If english is their second language, I completely understand. However, if they're doing this on purpose, it really irritates me because the ESL Gaians might start picking up the not-so-good habits....

FEEL FREE TO CORRECT GRAMMATICAL, SPELLING, AND TYPING ERRORS. I am defenitely not one of the most intelligent people.

~*~**~***~****~*****~****~***~**~*

PlatinumChild

Cheerfulhope

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 5:57 pm
Reason 2 Hate
What really gets me is why a lot of you act so superior when talking about people who do use chat speak, or aren't the most literate of folks. I mean, ********. Why? Just because you're more literate than others doesn't make you all that much better. I joined the guild because I figured I'd be able to sit and chat with interesting people. No sooner do I find out it's more or less a guild that dogs on those with poor grammar skills. Seeing s**t like this just makes me want to convert to the "lower society" of your eyes. Even though that'd be hard as hell because when you're used to one thing, it becomes an automatic. What the ********, people? You folks have no reason to hate. -.- Sorry to the folks who don't indulge in the insulting of those that aren't as literate. neutral

In my own opinion, I'm probably not much better than the text-talkers, but you know what? After a while, the thought does start to gnaw a bit in an intelligent mind. After all, if they- the text-talkers- weren't the "plebeians" (as you might put it) wouldn't they have the decency of proper spelling and grammar? I'm an airhead and yet I have a better grasp on spelling and grammar than them. Besides, we (most of us) don't act superior to anyone. All we wish for is a future generation that won't poison the minds of the pure and eventually cause the downfall of all human technological welfare. Think about it! The past generations have produced brilliant minds, inventions, technologies, works of art, literature and countless other things! Isn't it fair that we contribute our share for our posterity so they can also continue the tradition?  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 10:12 pm
The thing is, most of you DO criticize even the smallest of mistakes. We have TWO threads about "ain't", with most people bitching that it ain't a word and shouldn't be "accepted".

This goes beyond just being against chatspeak.

Note that I feel you are all (mostly) valid targets for corrections, since you posit yourselves in this "superior" position.

Yami: Dangling preposition. FOR SHAME.  

The Man who was Thursday

Muffin Manic

Hilarious Raccoon

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 7:26 am
I'm sorry if I'm wrong and hurt someones feelings but, this seems kind of petty. I mean who really cares what people think of us as we don't know half the people on Gaia. I personaly, don't care if everyone thinks I'm a stuck up person who acts superior. That would be their problem not mine. I'm just not going to worry about it. About us all being targets for corrections I can't say I'm not because, as I've said before, I don't speak English as my first lanuge and it was hard to learn. So I wouldn't be suprised if many people make mistakes. English is one of the hardest lanuges to learn and I don't like being told everytime I mess up. I'm human we all make mistakes. Does anyone else see my point or does that just sound really stupid?  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 8:08 am
I don't think that I'm demeaning a person by noting that their grammar and/or spelling is crap. Half the time, it's on purpose. "iz u new her?" for example, is just ridiculous. I just can't see what makes people thing that writing "iz" instead of "is" and shortening one letter off of "here" makes them cool. I mean, what is with that? So yes, I will remark, if not to them, the pointlessness of that. And would they care? I doubt it. That's a purpouseful thing. I know most of these people, in real life they've got perfect grammar and spelling. They reserve their text talk and so on for online. Why? Apparently, they're just following everyone else's lead, thinking it makes them "cool" or something. When purpousely using the wrong their/there/they're and shortening words needlessly, for no real reason at all, yeah, I'm gonna say something about it.  

Ariomness

Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces