Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
Another online literacy quiz Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

The Man who was Thursday

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 11:12 pm
Examples of the test being wrong:
Quote:
4. I wish you would study for __________ test.
a. you're
b. your
c. Either a or b
d. Neither a nor b
The correct answer is your.

What.

Quote:

14. It is difficult for her to __________ criticism.
a. accept
b. except
c. Either a or b
d. Neither a nor b
The correct answer is accept.
Definitions:
accept - v. tr. to receive; to admit; to endure; to consent
except - v. tr. to leave out

Why can't you say it's difficult for her to leave out criticism?

Quote:
33. Please stay __________
a. a while
b. awhile
c. for a while
d. All of the above
The correct answer is All of the above.
Definitions:
awhile - adv. for a short time
while - n. a period of time
Explanation:
Because the word awhile is an adverb, it cannot be used in a prepositional phrase. "for awhile" would be incorrect. Since while is a noun, it can be used with or without the preposition for. Therefore, all three are correct.

"Stay a while" would literally mean to make a while stop. It would be the d.o. of the verb stay. No dice.

Quote:
34. He is __________ along in his academic program __________ he thought.
a. farther / than
b. farther / then
c. further / than
d. further / then
The correct answer is further / than.
Explanation:
farther - comparative used for physcial distance
further - comparative used for nonphysical, metaphorical advancement

In fact, their own resource states: "Although some usage guides insist that only farther should be used for physical distance, farther and further have been used interchangeably throughout much of their histories."

:/  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 4:06 pm
English Genius
You scored 100% Beginner, 100% Intermediate, 100% Advanced, and 93% Expert!
You did so extremely well, even I can't find a word to describe your excellence! You have the uncommon intelligence necessary to understand things that most people don't. You have an extensive vocabulary, and you're not afraid to use it properly! Way to go!

biggrin

That was rather fun!  

Subservient Nonentity

Sighren

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:37 pm
You scored 92% Beginner, 100% Intermediate, 73% Advanced, and 60% Expert!
You have a good understanding of beginner and intermediate level commonly confused English words, getting at least 75% of the beginner and intermediate level questions correct. This is a good score. Remember, these are commonly confused English words, which means most people don't use them properly. You got a respectable score.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 2:03 pm
You scored 64% Beginner, 85% Intermediate, 93% Advanced, and 60% Expert!

You have a good understanding of intermediate and advanced commonly confused English words, getting at least 75% of the intermediate and advanced level questions correct. The puzzling part of your test result is the fact that you only answered 75% or less correct in the beginner section. Fascinating.

wow i thought i did so much worse then that . Over all i thought i did a pretty good job.  

Parisxx

[N]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 2:22 pm

English Genius
You scored 92% Beginner, 85% Intermediate, 86% Advanced, and 80% Expert!
You did so extremely well, even I can't find a word to describe your excellence! You have the uncommon intelligence necessary to understand things that most people don't. You have an extensive vocabulary, and you're not afraid to use it properly! Way to go!

Thank you so much for taking my test. I hope you enjoyed it!

=D

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 8:31 pm
Although everyone else has posted their results...I will too. biggrin

You scored 100% Beginner, 100% Intermediate, 93% Advanced, and 60% Expert!
You have an extremely good understanding of beginner, intermediate, and advanced level commonly confused English words, getting at least 75% of each of these three levels' questions correct. This is an exceptional score. Remember, these are commonly confused English words, which means most people don't use them properly. You got an extremely respectable score.

Heheheh. So special am I that I copied everything with the click of the mouse!  

Mr. Spiffy-kins

hippiepoet1964

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:25 am
Hey. that was kind of fun. I felt like I was back in school. Here's my results:

Advanced
You scored 85% Beginner, 100% Intermediate, 86% Advanced, and 66% Expert!
You have an extremely good understanding of beginner, intermediate, and advanced level commonly confused English words, getting at least 75% of each of these three levels' questions correct. This is an exceptional score. Remember, these are commonly confused English words, which means most people don't use them properly. You got an extremely respectable score.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:35 pm
English Genius
You scored 92% Beginner, 100% Intermediate, 93% Advanced, and 93% Expert!

Knit Happens

6,450 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Person of Interest 200

thunderandlightning

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 2:46 pm
English Genius
You scored 92% Beginner, 100% Intermediate, 80% Advanced, and 86% Expert!

I guess I did well; too bad I could use my real age, though sweatdrop
Too young, I guess  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 4:38 pm
Advanced
You scored 100% Beginner, 100% Intermediate, 93% Advanced, and 66% Expert!

Kitten_Ember

ruddah_baggah

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 12:44 am
English Genius
You scored 100% Beginner, 100% Intermediate, 100% Advanced, and 93% Expert!

Any other tests known?  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 12:41 pm
Not bad for a dutch girl, I suppose?

English Genius
You scored 85% Beginner, 92% Intermediate, 80% Advanced, and 80% Expert!

PsYcHoSyS

7,850 Points
  • Prayer Circle 200
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Megathread 100

Arkly

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 2:47 pm
You scored 85% Beginner, 92% Intermediate, 86% Advanced, and 86% Expert!
Thank you so much for taking my test. I hope you enjoyed it!

There has to be something wrong, I know I am not THAT smart.  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 12:20 am
You scored 100% Beginner, 100% Intermediate, 100% Advanced, and 73% Expert!

You scored higher than 66% on Beginner

You scored higher than 44% on Intermediate

You scored higher than 85% on Advanced

You scored higher than 46% on Expert

-Nice test.  

seraphic_desire

Sammie of Spades

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 1:57 pm
Advanced
You scored 100% Beginner, 100% Intermediate, 86% Advanced, and 66% Expert!

^YEY!^  
Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces