Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

-Resurrected Writer-
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 9:19 pm
Isel
YurikoMasaki
Umm.. actually... before being used during the 'gothic' period as a term for the building style.... the word goth or gothic actually did have negative connotations in Europe... also the goth were actually what a group of people who the Romans fought during the build of the Roman Empire were called... so ........ the word goes back quite far but the meaning or usage constantly changes...... sorry.........

redface xd Please don't get mad.... >.< and no.. I don't think I know everything... I just took latin for a few years and avidly watch the history channel.

Goths= Scandinavian/Germanic barbarian tribe who proved themselves to be formidable foes of the Roman empire, often successfully sacked major cities of the empire. Known for their dark clothing.

To further expand on that, they were considered ugly, evil, and barbaric by said roman empire. This attitude, though now directed at a subculture with quite a few differences to that ancient tribe, seems to have survived today... stare  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 12:17 pm
I don't think acting happy has anything to do with being goth or not. I'm very happy and content with my life and I love laughing and having fun, but I'm also completely in love with dark things, metal, and goth music.

However, I don't like the way that trendy fashions have been modelled after our subculture, and how now buying a teal shirt with skulls on it and wearing grey jeans makes you goth. You need more than that. People can go ahead and dress according to new fads if that's what they like, but to call yourself "goth", you need to show interest in the rest of the culture and not just a new fashion statement that was modelled after us.  

Kristoya

Ether-Eating Eskimo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 11:49 am
So we are all ugly and barberic? confused  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 12:00 pm
CrimsonThanatos

Yeah, don't mind me. I don't actually label myself goth, so I still am a cardholding prettyboy.

Barbaric? Hell yes.

-Isel-

westie330

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:55 am
hey every one i did notive the trend around my school and it pisses the all the people who label them selves as goth because every ine calls them emo!!! thats sooooo annoying!!! any wayz i used to act all bubbly and giggly but it is just who i put myself out as at first ... now all my friends don't seem to understand me as much because im not who i used to be and when im not smiling they ask what is wrong .. usually some thing is wrong but they don't understand or they say i shouldn't be sad!!! oh and the other thing related to gothic people is cutting ......... evil though that doesn't mean gothic people don't do that too but not all of us do  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 2:10 pm
CrimsonThanatos

Some people of mainstream society might think that, yeah. (thankfully not all of them)  

-Resurrected Writer-
Crew

Amthezia

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 6:56 am
Tyshia
I don't think acting happy has anything to do with being goth or not. I'm very happy and content with my life and I love laughing and having fun, but I'm also completely in love with dark things, metal, and goth music.

However, I don't like the way that trendy fashions have been modelled after our subculture, and how now buying a teal shirt with skulls on it and wearing grey jeans makes you goth. You need more than that. People can go ahead and dress according to new fads if that's what they like, but to call yourself "goth", you need to show interest in the rest of the culture and not just a new fashion statement that was modelled after us.

*nods* totally agrees with that biggrin I have the same feeling!  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 12:25 pm
you know what? I've never even heard of the term "perky goth" before right now... its kind of strange ter me

EDIT: by the way Amthezia, I love the guild banner. can I have the code for it?  

xdemonicallyxyours13x

NikiPaprika

2,650 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 1:29 pm
Devils_lilboy
I usually can tell the difference between real goth, and perky/ prep goth based off of how bubbly and joyful the person acts. In my opinion a perky goth is someone who may wear all black but, will run around, and act all happy, and hyper like. Sometimes people like that make me crazy, because I have heard them disrespect those who are real actual goth ( quite, and not so perky), but then there they are wearing all black, and trying to be gothic themselfs.

Hur hur.

>=D

sounds a lot like me! Mind you, I'm never disrespectful to the other self-proclaimed "real goths", and other goths accept me for being just ouright bubbly. But it doesn't mean I'm not interested in things of a gothic nature.

...I'm just hyper.

gonk

p.s. Going back to when I first joined this guild, I actually joined because someone had in their banner "Gothy AND Perky? the got goth? Guild!".

...and that was when I came here.

=o

How odd and coincidental...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 1:33 pm
Amthezia
Tyshia

*nods* totally agrees with that biggrin I have the same feeling!

I completely agree too!

I dunno about america, but a few months back, just when autumn (fall) was almost over, I was just walking around the high street with a few of my friends, and as we were passing a few fashion stores, my jaw almost hit the floor. All this time I was getting ridiculed for what I was wearing, and then they make goth-punk all cutesy wutesy in a girly fiashion shop! There were girls wearing lots of black with pink, skulls, metal chains and yet they were still so preppy...GAH! It drove me nuts!!

..but like all fashions, it moved on, and now it's the whole houndstooth thing going on...

I'm just glad my spiked collar is still individual.

3nodding

NikiPaprika

2,650 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Dressed Up 200

Veruniel
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 2:44 pm
Dead Ed
Isel
Goths= Scandinavian/Germanic barbarian tribe who proved themselves to be formidable foes of the Roman empire, often successfully sacked major cities of the empire. Known for their dark clothing.

To further expand on that, they were considered ugly, evil, and barbaric by said roman empire. This attitude, though now directed at a subculture with quite a few differences to that ancient tribe, seems to have survived today... stare

Pretty ironic, considering that the goths were fantastic jewellers, master builders, and managed to govern two empires. It's about time we gave them some respect and stopped hurling insults like 'barbarian' around.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 3:03 pm
Veruniel
Dead Ed
Isel

Pretty ironic, considering that the goths were fantastic jewellers, master builders, and managed to govern two empires. It's about time we gave them some respect and stopped hurling insults like 'barbarian' around.

I know, but because of the fact that they were foreign to the Roman Empire, they were barbarians. The fact that they wore many dark clothes furthered this.
So this is where human shallowness gets us. rolleyes  

-Resurrected Writer-
Crew

perrenthezombie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:46 pm
I don't really understand the "perky goth" thing...it seems like a bit of an oxymoron. But that's just me. And it's not like I really care about the styles other people like. Whatever they want is fine.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 5:56 am
Dead Ed

I know, but because of the fact that they were foreign to the Roman Empire, they were barbarians. The fact that they wore many dark clothes furthered this.

No, it meant that the Romans considered them barbarians.

"Barbarian" is a pejorative term, implying that a person or culture is uncouth and that their language sounds like inane babble. It is deeply insulting, has been jettisoned by responsible historians, and should not be slung about.

And though textiles decay rapidly and clothing from antiquity is notoriously hard to study, the existing evidence suggests that the Goths wore bright clothing and lots of gold.  

Veruniel
Crew

lurichan
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 6:35 am
NikiPaprika
Devils_lilboy
I usually can tell the difference between real goth, and perky/ prep goth based off of how bubbly and joyful the person acts. In my opinion a perky goth is someone who may wear all black but, will run around, and act all happy, and hyper like. Sometimes people like that make me crazy, because I have heard them disrespect those who are real actual goth ( quite, and not so perky), but then there they are wearing all black, and trying to be gothic themselfs.

Hur hur.

>=D

sounds a lot like me! Mind you, I'm never disrespectful to the other self-proclaimed "real goths", and other goths accept me for being just ouright bubbly. But it doesn't mean I'm not interested in things of a gothic nature.

...I'm just hyper.

gonk

p.s. Going back to when I first joined this guild, I actually joined because someone had in their banner "Gothy AND Perky? the got goth? Guild!".

...and that was when I came here.

=o

How odd and coincidental...

*lol* That was one of the banners I made. ^_^

As for the topic itself there are quite a few definitions of goth... there is goth related to the music, there is goth related to the fashion, there is goth related to the attitude, there is goth related to the literature, there is always the goths related to the ancient group that saced rome that comes up in almost every definition of goth, and there is gothic architecture that generally gets thrown into the mix for fun.

Personally I see perky goths as those who find themselves more happy and comfortable with themselves when they are in the dressed up in gothic fashion because they enjoy it so much. They tend to have a bubbly personality and enjoy life. Normally perky goths are the first goths to hold open a door for someone, or not be afraid to have unicorns and skulls decorating their bedroom. Perky goths are genrally very comfortable with who they are, and as a result don't try to hide it if they like things that generally wouldn't be considered goth as well as goth things.

Of course if you take it a step further, the term was perpetuated further in a comic series called "Dork Tower" (which is mostly about gamers). There is a character in there that is a LARPer (Live Action Role Playing) whose name is Gilly. Her brother is a very serious Vampire: The Mascarade player and thus she plays the game as well. She always wears goth attire but she is always happy and rather carefree. In the comic there is even an outline for "Clan Perky" and the vampire powers they possess. (All really funny if you have a good sense of humor). Gilly is actually the character I used for the Goth and Perky banner because she is practically the poster child for perky goths.  
~ Main Forum ~

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff