Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Goth is...
  as Goth does.
View Results

Isobel Bellamy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 1:53 pm
Veruniel

The goths were a northern tribe that invaded Rome (and also Spain).

*gaps in my knowlege, mostly gained from TV programs: Tony Robinson is a strange hobbit-like creature*

The Goths hailed from Germany, and were a relatively peaceful tribe that only took up arms when they needed to, they were more used to farming than to actualy military fighting. They shunned the thought of a single leader, however, they saw the need of a military leader in timesof conflict; when the Romans invaded their side of the Rhine they massed an Army and managed to keep their land as their own. The then apointed leader wanted to make it a permanent thing. The Goths didn't like this and duly dispatched of him.

As for the "sacking of Rome".....sorry, falsehood spread later. By the time of this they had converted to Christianity, and, being good peaceful Christians protested for a few days with no incident, then left when no-one took any notice of them. If the large-scale destruction of Rome that was reported to have happened actually did occur there would be archeology to support this, ther is, however, a distinct lack of anything destroyed in archological layers pertaining to this age in Rome's history.

Izzie likes history^^
79!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 5:52 pm
Veruniel
Attempts to define 'goth' have been flying thick and fast lately, and I'd like to remind people that there is no one right answer. There is no one definition of the word goth. It's been used many times, to mean many different things.

The goths were a northern tribe that invaded Rome (and also Spain). [/qoute]

goths are also the germans ancestores... they were called Gotlanders

Resurrekt

Rellik San
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 5:58 pm
Isobel Bellamy
Veruniel

The goths were a northern tribe that invaded Rome (and also Spain).

*gaps in my knowlege, mostly gained from TV programs: Tony Robinson is a strange hobbit-like creature*

The Goths hailed from Germany, and were a relatively peaceful tribe that only took up arms when they needed to, they were more used to farming than to actualy military fighting. They shunned the thought of a single leader, however, they saw the need of a military leader in timesof conflict; when the Romans invaded their side of the Rhine they massed an Army and managed to keep their land as their own. The then apointed leader wanted to make it a permanent thing. The Goths didn't like this and duly dispatched of him.

As for the "sacking of Rome".....sorry, falsehood spread later. By the time of this they had converted to Christianity, and, being good peaceful Christians protested for a few days with no incident, then left when no-one took any notice of them. If the large-scale destruction of Rome that was reported to have happened actually did occur there would be archeology to support this, ther is, however, a distinct lack of anything destroyed in archological layers pertaining to this age in Rome's history.

Izzie likes history^^
79!

You watch Time Team on a sunday too don't you? biggrin

lol, though, are you a Scrap Heap Challenge person aswell?

Just out of interest, which goth tribe are talking Ostrogoth or Visigoth?  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 6:09 pm
Rellik San

Lol, from time to time.

Nope, more Miami Ink (some of those guys annoy the hell outta me but pretty tattoos!!)

The Visigoths 3nodding  

Isobel Bellamy

Rellik San
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 6:12 pm
Isobel Bellamy
Rellik San

Lol, from time to time.

Nope, more Miami Ink (some of those guys annoy the hell outta me but pretty tattoos!!)

The Visigoths 3nodding

Thought as much. smile

People forget to make the distinction.  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 7:58 am
Quote:

So yes, it's valid to say that a goth is a person who loves goth music. But it's equally valid to apply the term to someone with a generally 'dark' aesthetic, or someone who adores medieval art.

I like both. I'm facinated by the builders of that time. And, you know, a little MCR never hurt anyone. smile  

[TL]

TheWitchGotRobin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:23 am
*appluad* Great job!

I probably fit in more with liking dark things. Mainly because some people tend to get pissy about what Goth music is, and I honestly don't care.  
~ Main Forum ~

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff