Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
Song Titles... Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Should artists use proper spelling for song titles?
  Yes.
  No.
View Results

The Man who was Thursday

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:52 pm
That's totally ******** absurd, though. The title has NOTHING to do with the music.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 4:03 pm
I have yet to hear one that I liked. The day that I hear one that I truly do though, I shall see your side. Until then, I am sticking to my opinion. Often the title is stated in the song, which would spark the thought of how it bothers me.

Try not to go crazy, I am simply stating my opinion, you don't have to take it to heart. Rage will get you nowhere, cool off for a minute if you wish to continue this, otherwise, I am done with this topic.  

Cintax Error

The Man who was Thursday

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 4:08 pm
Cintax Error
I have yet to hear one that I liked. The day that I hear one that I truly do though, I shall see your side. Until then, I am sticking to my opinion. Often the title is stated in the song, which would spark the thought of how it bothers me.

Try not to go crazy, I am simply stating my opinion, you don't have to take it to heart. Rage will get you nowhere, cool off for a minute if you wish to continue this, otherwise, I am done with this topic.

Listen to the song by Liquid Tension Experiment. It doesn't even have lyrics.

You can't argue that Duke Ellington wrote bad music.

And Portishead happens to be one of my favourite bands.

Rejecting something because of its name is idiotic. By that logic, I should reject you, since you didn't spell Syntax correctly.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 4:17 pm
I kindly asked you to cool down. You're not only repeating previous things I explained, but now you're attempting to add personal insult. I have said that I do not have the same taste in music. Accept that. And my username? I was looking around other languages for words. I came upon this.

Cinta = Love. (Indonesian)

I thought of Syntax first thing, so I simply combined the two to add a hidden meaning to my username. Only one other person has realized it to date.  

Cintax Error

The Man who was Thursday

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 4:23 pm
Cintax Error
I kindly asked you to cool down. You're not only repeating previous things I explained, but now you're attempting to add personal insult. I have said that I do not have the same taste in music. Accept that. And my username? I was looking around other languages for words. I came upon this.

Cinta = Love. (Indonesian)

I thought of Syntax first thing, so I simply combined the two to add a hidden meaning to my username. Only one other person has realized it to date.

I do not know why you are under the impression that I am angry. And that wasn't an ad hominem; I was using your name to illustrate a point.

Did you ever stop to think that perhaps there's a reason for their song titles, similar to your username?

And, regardless of your tastes, haven't you ever heard the expression "Don't judge a book by its cover"?  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 4:31 pm
I have looked for a meaning in multiple songs like that, but to no avail.

I disregard most sayings, if I see something that looks bad, I'll avoid it. It's often worth it. I trust my own instincts before I take a risk, no matter how small. Bigger risks deserve more time, of course. Saves quite a bit of time otherwise wasted.  

Cintax Error

Luxx Aeternam

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 7:57 pm
I really haven't kept up to date with main-stream media. Or really underground media, for that matter. I prefer older music, and therefore do not encounter quite so many misspellings.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 4:26 am
I agree completely with you. One song title that infuriates me to a high degree is Sinead O' Connor's 'Nothing Compares 2U'. The song itself, I adore and it has lifted me up through low times, the lyrics being depthful and beautiful in its use of emotive language and the captivating and haunting melodies of the music. I just find it difficult to comprehend how a song like that which is so high in my and other individuals' expectations, can let itself down with a title that includes 'txt talk'.

*sighs*

Why should a song that has obviously been well thought out behold a title so lazy?

Hehe, I could go on for hours about this issue. ^^ Thanks for bringing it up.^^

Erikittie

ririnyan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 6:34 pm
The one thing that bothers me, both in songs and otherwise, is misuse of the subjunctive. I know that it has been all but worn away nowadays, but I can't help but stick with "were" rather than "was". That "I wish I was a Punk Rocker" song (by whoever it was that sang it, I don't know stressed ) grates on my nerves whenever I hear it.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 6:39 pm
You know, "Sk8r boi" pisses me OFF! stressed  

SunnyAntarctica

XxJennessaxX

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 10:20 pm
Hollaback Girl (Gwen Stefani), Me & u (Cassie) = WTF? gonk

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 10:25 pm
Victor Wooten - U Can't Hold No Groove

Victor Wooten is a freaking music god.  

The Man who was Thursday

limp dick

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 2:39 pm
I must disagree...

I don't see how a song title is correlated to the music itself.
If the music is good, listen to it.
If not, don't.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 3:28 pm
limp d**k
I must disagree...

I don't see how a song title is correlated to the music itself.
If the music is good, listen to it.
If not, don't.

Thank you, O Sensible One.  

The Man who was Thursday

Muffin Manic

Hilarious Raccoon

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 5:27 pm
I listen to what sounds good like right now I'm listening to Flyleaf but I don't know song titles until I know that I like the music and at that point it doesn't matter. I truthfully will listen to just about anything that has a good tune a words that don't make me want to puke! I think that how people spell the words to the song don't matter because when they sing them I just want it too sound good!  
Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff