my fashion Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Veruniel
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 1:50 pm
I don't mean to stifle an aspiring artist's dreams, but keep in mind that being a fashion designer is really, really tough (as you may be aware already). It's a competitive business and you've got to have a bottomless wellspring of new ideas, because other people will steal them if you come up with something that sells.

My aunt was a fashion designer for years, but she never made a living at it and she finally got out of it after seeing one too many of the big brand names steal ideas from small-time businesses like hers. Looking back on it, the biggest problem was that she tried to go it alone from the start. A safer way to ease into the business is to start designing for an established label, and work up a reputation that way before you strike out on your own.

Personally I go for stuff that's more victorian and less punk, but I think the sketches look great! You've certainly got a good artistic sense and you know how to present your ideas so that people can see what they'd look like as real clothes. That's important. But it's equally important to have the sewing skills to make the finished product look as good as the drawings. The better you are at sewing, the more of an edge you'll have. I highly recommend making costumes for fashion dolls... because if you can make clothes that are fitted well on something so tiny, you can tailor anything.

Definitely go for it if you've got the ambition. Just be aware that it can get very cut-throat.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 6:45 am
You think thats bad, try stiffling the dreams of a million kids that want to be comic artists, by telling them what the truth is.

But yeah, fashion and comics, the two hardest industries to get involved in, ever.

By the way, I love that book in your sig.  

Rellik San
Crew

kykana

Invisible Informer

8,925 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Generous 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 7:16 am
Awesome drawings!!
There all so cool,
my favorites are the dress on the top with the long skirt,
the jacket with the chains going across it, and the dress next to it with the belts.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 5:47 pm
Veruniel
I don't mean to stifle an aspiring artist's dreams, but keep in mind that being a fashion designer is really, really tough (as you may be aware already). It's a competitive business and you've got to have a bottomless wellspring of new ideas, because other people will steal them if you come up with something that sells.

My aunt was a fashion designer for years, but she never made a living at it and she finally got out of it after seeing one too many of the big brand names steal ideas from small-time businesses like hers. Looking back on it, the biggest problem was that she tried to go it alone from the start. A safer way to ease into the business is to start designing for an established label, and work up a reputation that way before you strike out on your own.

Personally I go for stuff that's more victorian and less punk, but I think the sketches look great! You've certainly got a good artistic sense and you know how to present your ideas so that people can see what they'd look like as real clothes. That's important. But it's equally important to have the sewing skills to make the finished product look as good as the drawings. The better you are at sewing, the more of an edge you'll have. I highly recommend making costumes for fashion dolls... because if you can make clothes that are fitted well on something so tiny, you can tailor anything.

Definitely go for it if you've got the ambition. Just be aware that it can get very cut-throat.
thank you,for your oppinions and reccomendations, I know the fashion industry is cut throat, that's part of it's appeal. and had planned on starting out with an already established designer, helping there and such, but I want to go in to school first so I have a better chance of being hired. Also I have taken three sewing classes in high school and got A's in all of them, and in the class I not only made the dolls clothes, I made the dolls.

Thanks for your concern of the fact that people may steal the designs... they're not my best, so if they do get stolen then I know I can make it in the real world as a designer.  

Ramen With Tofu

nerdlover08

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 9:35 pm
I like your clothes. If you were to make them, I would buy them.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 5:31 am
Rellik San
You think thats bad, try stiffling the dreams of a million kids that want to be comic artists, by telling them what the truth is.

But yeah, fashion and comics, the two hardest industries to get involved in, ever.

Opera's way up there, too. It'd take years for me to list all the nasty mudslinging that goes on. If you look new to the business, other hopefuls will try to sabotage you by giving you bad advice while you wait to audition. "If you flub up, ask to start again!" "Conduct the accompanist. You don't want him using the wrong tempo!" And the kiss of death: "Ask them 'How did I do?'"

I suppose all artistic professions are difficult. But if you're really passionate about them, you wouldn't be nearly as happy doing anything else.  

Veruniel
Crew

Veruniel
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 5:49 am
Ramen With Tofu
thank you,for your oppinions and reccomendations, I know the fashion industry is cut throat, that's part of it's appeal.

I hope my post didn't sound insulting. I didn't mean it to be. I just wasn't sure how much you knew about the business... but it sounds like you know a lot more than I do, and that you've got exactly the right attitude too. I wish you luck!  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 6:25 am
Veruniel
Rellik San

Opera's way up there, too. It'd take years for me to list all the nasty mudslinging that goes on. If you look new to the business, other hopefuls will try to sabotage you by giving you bad advice while you wait to audition. "If you flub up, ask to start again!" "Conduct the accompanist. You don't want him using the wrong tempo!" And the kiss of death: "Ask them 'How did I do?'"

I suppose all artistic professions are difficult. But if you're really passionate about them, you wouldn't be nearly as happy doing anything else.

Thats the problem with comic art, when you want a job your not dealing with professionals... your dealing with executives, who's only thought is 'can this make money... is this marketable... what would be predicted sales.' Thats why you never do the stories you want to for at least 10 years, its not you can't, but they won't let you.  

Rellik San
Crew

-Isel-

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 7:13 am
Rellik San

Video games has gotta be the third one.

Why don't kids just start bands?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 8:09 am
Isel
Rellik San

Because you think they are gonna get anywhere if they aren't emo and not on myspace?  

Rellik San
Crew

-Resurrected Writer-
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 8:18 am
Rellik San
Isel
Rellik San

Because you think they are gonna get anywhere if they aren't emo and not on myspace?

Yeah, besides, the music industry is one of the most competitive and most corruptible forms of entertainment - why do you think so many bands sell out in their later years?

Personally, I'm trying to get into the field of book publishing (working on a manuscript that I've racked-up 328 pages on so far) and I know that it too is a highly competitive field; becoming a bestselling author on your first book is about as likely as randomly throwing a pickaxe to the ground and breaking-open an oil well. But the point is to just do it because it's your hobby and you'd like other people to see your talents - if it's just for the money, you'll likely end-up disappointed.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 8:33 am
Dead Ed
Rellik San
Isel
Rellik San

Yeah, besides, the music industry is one of the most competitive and most corruptible forms of entertainment - why do you think so many bands sell out in their later years?

Personally, I'm trying to get into the field of book publishing (working on a manuscript that I've racked-up 328 pages on so far) and I know that it too is a highly competitive field; becoming a bestselling author on your first book is about as likely as randomly throwing a pickaxe to the ground and breaking-open an oil well. But the point is to just do it because it's your hobby and you'd like other people to see your talents - if it's just for the money, you'll likely end-up disappointed.

Unless your the lost prophets, in it for the money, made a fortune.
Not that I dislike them or anything.  

Rellik San
Crew

Devils_lilboy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 8:46 am
Ramen With Tofu
ok... so I am working on becoming a fashion designer. and my fashion style right at this moment is in the "goth/punk" persona... and I was wondering what y'all think of some of my stuff so far....

User Image

User Image

User Image

keep in mind it's not in exact color since my medium was pencil and a single prisma marker, so make it the color you want in your head and then tell me what you think...

*these are also posted in my profile

I am also currently working on more though I doubt anyone will see them since I am currently without scanner.

but anyways comments would be apprieciated.... and please keep criticizm constructive.

Thanks R.W. Tofu

Cute I like it....  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 9:04 am
Rellik San
Isel
Rellik San

Myspace isn't a bad thing. My band has a page there.  

-Isel-

Rellik San
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 9:10 am
Isel
Rellik San
Isel
Rellik San

Myspace isn't a bad thing. My band has a page there.

I ain't saying it is, I'm on their too. Its just you aren't going to get huge unless your an emo band on myspace with a gazillion 13 year olds lusting after your crotch area... or lusting after you kissing a member of another band, I might not like the guy, but Gerard Way doesn't deserve that no matter how much of a t**t he is.  
~ Main Forum ~

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff