Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
Abomination to Vocabulary: Got Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Doesn't that just make you want to...
  find the shovel ?
  cause physical harm to someone ?
  glare someone to death ?
  poll ?!
View Results

Luxx Aeternam

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 3:12 pm
FWIW
ljosberinn
I've never really thought about it that much but you are right. It's not a very pretty word.

But yet? I'd like an elaboration on that, if you don't mind :]

The word "yet" bothers me because of some of its uses in the mid-west. I was raised in Central New York where there really is no accent aside from "an American one" and the dialect is by the book. When I moved to Michigan the most common use for that word was this:

"I have to do my homework, yet."
or
"I need to do the laundry, yet."

It may not bother you, but it sure as hell makes me cringe.

I currently live in a place where I need someone to translate half of the time and the other half I just walk away. My COs (Commanding Officers) speak English and that's about it.

-PFC Smith (FWIW), U.S. Army

Michiganders aren't that great at speaking the English language. Every day I curse the fact that I had to be born here. In this state, people pronounce everything improperly, and misuse so many words, it can make a native cringe. It's really hard to ignore when "soda" becomes "pop" and "roof" is pronounced "ruf."

Now I shouldn't let myself get too far off subject. To say "I got" and "I have got" mean two entirely different things. "Have got" is used for emphasis, compared to "got" alone, which indicates past-tense.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 5:39 pm
Asgard_seven, I was born in Flint. It makes me shudder to speak with my mother who lives in Midland, or my girlfriend who lives in Bay City. At least the latter of the two tries to use proper English.  

FWIW

Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces