Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
Slang - Will It Take Over?! Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Do you want slang to be "Regular English Grammar"?
  Yes! Go Slang!
  Boo! We want regular grammar!
  I can deal with both
View Results

xAvenirYuinax

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 4:39 pm
Slang for the most part doesn't really bother me. It's incorrect grammar that does.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 1:43 pm
Sad to say but yes it will.  

`Lenzor

Lady Pica

Salty Wench

8,975 Points
  • Beta Explorer 0
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 1:51 pm
I can handle the slang. It's when people don't realize how wrong what they said is that I start to do a funny eye-twitch.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 3:39 pm
Slang's alright. I use slang quite a bit too. But as long it's in good grammar, it's good enough for me.  

SinnyStar

Invisible Star

Al Rakis Draconis

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 7:30 pm
ririnyan
The (sad?) thing is, though, this is how language evolves. This is why we're not talking the same style of English as Shakespeare or, even further back, Chaucer. Slang is irritating, yes, but it's part of the progression of the language.

Instead of progression, I'd say REGRESSION.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 7:53 pm
nancyly
Not only is a disgrace to society, but it a bad reputation to everybody. ...very idotic.

Nice.  

Gachetemas

The Man who was Thursday

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 9:59 pm
Sergeant Fudgeo
ririnyan
The (sad?) thing is, though, this is how language evolves. This is why we're not talking the same style of English as Shakespeare or, even further back, Chaucer. Slang is irritating, yes, but it's part of the progression of the language.

Nah, a regression would have you extensively declining nouns and conjugating verbs. Not fun.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 3:24 pm
Sergeant Fudgeo
ririnyan

If you'd like to go back to the English of 600 years ago, more power to you, but say goodbye to standardized spelling. wink Slang and neologisms are communicative mechanisms to cope with the development of society. Without this sort of development we might as well trim down our wonderfully expressive language to 1984-style Newspeak. Which we all know would be doubleplusungood. wink  

ririnyan

Patron with a Mission

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 4:04 pm
ririnyan
Sergeant Fudgeo
ririnyan

If you'd like to go back to the English of 600 years ago, more power to you, but say goodbye to standardized spelling. wink Slang and neologisms are communicative mechanisms to cope with the development of society. Without this sort of development we might as well trim down our wonderfully expressive language to 1984-style Newspeak. Which we all know would be doubleplusungood. wink

^.^ I love the 1984 reference. But in all honesty..maybe we should let both slang and regular English be considered okay to use  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 1:19 pm
Obviously, Slang will take over Proper Grammar.
The thing that angers me so, is that stupidity is widely accepted.
In my school (and other schools), I am tired of the "Wiggers" and (no offense in any way) the Minorities that subject themselves to Stereotypes.
I corrected a girl in my Seventh Grade English class, and she called me a "Cracker".
Of course, I said to her "I hope you know that's Racism."
Girl: "naw' it ain't. cracka' is a term fo' stupid white peoples like you."
Me: "But... you're Caucasian too."
Girl: "TEACHER! Dis' cracka' is calling me a Whitie."
Of course, my English teacher told her that was a Racial Slur for white people, and she still denied it.
After this all happened, this girl's family beat me up.
Yes, that's right.
They BEAT me, because I simply corrected her.
(In my opinion)This is a sign of the Times.
The World is Doomed to forever be dominated by nonsensical moron's who Delude themselves to thinking they're another Race simply because it's "cool".  

Shonen_Batman

__X__Naomi__X__

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 1:27 pm
Most likely it will,
If people on myspace and in school's keep
useing slang.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 1:33 pm
I'm sorry to break it to you, but it already has. The majority of people use it already, and there's not really anything that can convince them otherwise.  

Demokritos

Gachetemas

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 1:53 pm
Shonen_Batman
In my school (and other schools), I am tired of the "Wiggers" and (no offense in any way) the Minorities that subject themselves to Stereotypes.
I corrected a girl in my Seventh Grade English class, and she called me a "Cracker".
Of course, my English teacher told her that was a Racial Slur for white people, and she still denied it.
Yes, that's right.
eek (In my opinion)This is a sign of the Times.
The World is Doomed to forever be dominated by nonsensical moron's who Delude themselves to thinking they're another Race simply because it's "cool".

(Chromium Actinum Potassium Erbium)

"Cracka" or "cracker" is a term for a white person. It's not a racial slur. You are what you eat. So a "beaner" is someone who eats beans. A Mexican person. See. It's not so bad. It's very different from calling a Democrat an "a**" or a Republican an "pachyderm." Sometimes it's even a term of endearment. Like our engineering and computer teacher Mr. Bramley's nickname. Everyone calls him "Bram." Some call him "Bram Cracka." (Bromium Americium Chromium Actinum Potassium Erbium)  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 3:06 pm
Shonen_Batman
Yes, that's right.
(In my opinion)This is a sign of the Times.

Ouch.

So we should start beating people up for using incorrect grammar? :O

Remember kids, power is everything.

ljosberinn

felicityvalentine

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 3:31 am
Oh my God. I've heard the term slang before and I know it means improper English, but I never actually known it was this bad. I come from the Philippines so we usually converse in our native tongue (Of course, we use English as well.) I hope the schools here wont be influenced by that.  
Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff