Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Sims Guild

Back to Guilds

A guild for all things Sims created by Maxis/EA. 

Tags: simulation, god games, story telling, custom, Sims 

Reply Sims Q&A and Help
help! (Custom Content No Show + Non-changable Screen Size) Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Kitties_at_the_disco

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 7:59 pm
komietta
As to the issue with the size of your game, I'm presuming you've gone into the game options and tried to change the screen size. Is the 1024x768 option just greyed out an unclickable? During any Sims 2 installation, the game assesses the capabilities of your computer and if it thinks your computer can't handle certain options, it will automatically disable them. When this happens, there is little you can do but upgrade your computer. While it does seem a little unusual that this only happened after the Uni installation (Pets has higher graphics requirements so I would have expected this to come up after that installation), it may be determined in relation to the specs needed to run properly with all of the EPs installed. The last bit is just speculation.

If you can tell me your computer's specs (HD size, RAM, processor speed, graphics card), I can make an educated guess as to whether or not your problems are hardware related.

the 1024x768 always used to be a choice but now its not even there, thats how my sisters is. I had jsut gotten my laptop back from the fixing place and hadnt played the sims 2 before installing uni, maybe its something they did  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 5:48 am
Kittyprincess190

the 1024x768 always used to be a choice but now its not even there, thats how my sisters is. I had jsut gotten my laptop back from the fixing place and hadnt played the sims 2 before installing uni, maybe its something they did

That's why I'm thinking it may be a hardware issue. You probably want to update your drivers for your video card too and make sure your DirectX9 is updated.  

komietta

Kitties_at_the_disco

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 7:02 am
komietta
Kittyprincess190

That's why I'm thinking it may be a hardware issue. You probably want to update your drivers for your video card too and make sure your DirectX9 is updated.

but it never did taht before! alwas used 1024x768! now i can only use 800x600  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 4:12 pm
Kittyprincess190

Yes, but you've had some work done on your computer and things can always go awry (as is the case here apparently). I really can't give you any other advice without knowing your hardware specs, so if you want to tell them to me...  

komietta

Kitties_at_the_disco

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 5:50 pm
komietta
Kittyprincess190

Yes, but you've had some work done on your computer and things can always go awry (as is the case here apparently). I really can't give you any other advice without knowing your hardware specs, so if you want to tell them to me...

i dont know what they are! (and at the place the thing where i plug it into the laptop came out, that might be all they fixed, im pretty sure... omg! awry was one of my vocab words last week  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 7:08 pm
If you go to Start > Control Panel > System
and look on the "General" tab (it's usually the one it opens to anyway), it usually lists your operating system, CPU/processor speed, and RAM size and speed. For example, mine says Windows XP up at the top and at the bottom tells me Pentium IV CPU 3.20 GHz, 3.10 GHz 1.00 GB RAM.

Then, if you click on the "Hardware" tab and click the button that says "Device Manager," you should see an option near the top called "Display Adapters." If you click on the plus sign next to that to expand it, it should tell you what kind of video card you have.  

komietta

Enelya Anarion

Omnipresent Strawberry

9,650 Points
  • Generous 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Flatterer 200
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:28 pm
Knowing the age of your computer and the operating system your using often helps as well. If you're one of the unfortunate souls still on windows 98, or you have a computer more than three years old, it's probably going to be an issue with the drives like komietta said.

Not a big deal, and they're easy to update...depending on your laptop provider. What kind of laptop do you have by the way?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 4:56 pm
i fixed it! yay! it was going slow once i first changed it, hopefully it gets better!  

Kitties_at_the_disco

Menaceman

Tricky Hoarder

11,450 Points
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Grunny Grabber 50
  • Rebuilder 100
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 2:11 pm
How did you manage to solve it? It could be useful if anybody else reads this thread and is having the same problem.  
Sims Q&A and Help

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff