Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
LUL WHY U HAET TXT TLK? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Shonen_Batman

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:28 pm
[yin~yang]
Shonen_Batman
"You just can't do it because you're dumb."?

*squee!* Someone else who puts the punctuation outside the quotes! I did something like that with my last English paper, and my teacher marked me off! *mutters* b***h...

Anyway, to get on subject, though text-talk may shorten words, and make it seem to shorten typing time, if you really think about it, typing words that you aren't used to typing can actually increase the time it takes to type. It really isn't that efficient, and I should know. I'm Chinese. (Yay stereotypes!)

Yeah, my English teacher did that to me, so I had a lengthy debate with her (and her cronies) as to why you shouldn't lower a grade because you put punctuations outside of quotes.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 1:14 pm
Shonen_Batman
[yin~yang]
Shonen_Batman

*squee!* Someone else who puts the punctuation outside the quotes! I did something like that with my last English paper, and my teacher marked me off! *mutters* b***h...

Anyway, to get on subject, though text-talk may shorten words, and make it seem to shorten typing time, if you really think about it, typing words that you aren't used to typing can actually increase the time it takes to type. It really isn't that efficient, and I should know. I'm Chinese. (Yay stereotypes!)

Yeah, my English teacher did that to me, so I had a lengthy debate with her (and her cronies) as to why you shouldn't lower a grade because you put punctuations outside of quotes.

And what came of that?  

Marcus McFlufferson

Shonen_Batman

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 1:25 pm
Marcus McFlufferson
Shonen_Batman
[yin~yang]
Shonen_Batman

And what came of that?

Nothing. I got a Verbal Warning for "mouthing off" and "Insubordination".
I guess my teachers word is law.
The English teachers in my School are dense in one way or another.
It frightens me that people who are clearly not qualified to teach, are given Positions.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 2:11 pm
SOMEDAY~ I’LL~ FLY ~AWAY……
User Image

You sad little person. You really think doing that makes you look SMART?

User Image
……LEAVE~ALL~THIS~TO~YESTERDAY

[Oh Johnny]

XxJennessaxX

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 2:24 pm
Shonen_Batman
Dr. Abominable
TXT TLK MAKES U TYP FASTR.
U JST CNT DO IT CUZ UR DUM.

I beg to differ. (In My Opinion) When you use "Text-Talk", you are lowering your very I.Q.
It's like watching Joe Cartoon all day; you're gonna lose a few brain cells doing so.

I.Q? Brain Cells? What on earth are you talking about!? eek

At Dr. Abominable: "TXT TLK" doesn't make you type faster. Example: Writing the word "example" can take a slow typer at least 8 seconds. I type it in two seconds. If I said "Exmpl," the time it would take me to hit the keys wouldn't vary on how short the word is. In conclusion, "TXT TLK" cannot speed up your typing, but familiarizing yourself with the keyboard will. 3nodding

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 2:47 pm
ne1 cn rite n txt tlk. *scrubs down fingers* And as a matter of fact, most of us Grammer Guilders are reasonably proficient at text talk, and choose not to use it because it so butchers our language.  

LittleNikkiOfLight

Marcus McFlufferson

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 2:51 pm
Shonen_Batman
Marcus McFlufferson
Shonen_Batman
[yin~yang]
Shonen_Batman

And what came of that?

It frightens me that people who are clearly not qualified to teach, are given Positions.

Seriously? What a joke.
I think you should have taken that higher.
It's not a frikkin' jail term.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 3:05 pm
Marcus McFlufferson
Shonen_Batman
Marcus McFlufferson
Shonen_Batman
[yin~yang]
Shonen_Batman

And what came of that?

Seriously? What a joke.
I think you should have taken that higher.
It's not a frikkin' jail term.

I know.
But, here's the kicker.
In my school, someone gets in more trouble if they "Swear", rather than if they were to get in a fight, or Light a Joint in the middle of class.
A while ago, I got into a fight with my Art Teacher because she wouldn't help me with a project.
I mutter the word "s**t", and I get an entire week of ISS.
I love ISS, I can get my work done, think, write, etc.
But the person who watches over the Kids in ISS.... oh god.
You've never heard someone type so loud.
Plus, whenever I do get ISS, my teachers never send work.
And then my grade drops.
And they wonder "Why is he FAILING?"
"It couldn't be because we never sent the course work, and homework to him (that weighs out tests)."
I'd prefer not to fail, hence the reason I just give up when I'm arguing teachers.  

Shonen_Batman

randomanimosity

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 3:24 pm
If somebody doesn't know what the heck "txt tlk" is, and they try to read, let's say a huge paragraph in that format, how long do you think it'll take that said person to read it?

From experience... I know it takes -forever-.

Txt tlk is just purely annoying. The human brain seems to get lazier and lazier with this type of text. Can we not just put one more letter into a word anymore? Can we not just capitalize something just for the sake of it being capitalized and looking more intelligent?

The text just shows us that as typers-- we've become lazy.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 3:30 pm
randomanimosity
If somebody doesn't know what the heck "txt tlk" is, and they try to read, let's say a huge paragraph in that format, how long do you think it'll take that said person to read it?

Txt tlk is just purely annoying. The human brain seems to get lazier and lazier with this type of text. Can we not just put one more letter into a word anymore? Can we not just capitalize something just for the sake of it being capitalized and looking more intelligent?

Go to Gamespot.
75% of the Blogs Users post are composed of "Txt-Tlk" and "1337 5P34K".
It's terrifying.
emo  

Shonen_Batman

ch4nel

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 3:50 pm
Yes, thats what it is. I'm utterly dumb. xD

Sarcasm is bad in this guild. I'm not sure any Moderates would like that. Lol.

Anyways, "Txt Tlk" is just and example of laziness. For example:

-Spell checkers.
They cause laziness also. "Txt Tlk" Is a bad habit, and I really think It shouldn't be used. America is already fat, why add stupid and lazy to the list?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 3:54 pm
Shonen_Batman
randomanimosity

Go to Gamespot.
75% of the Blogs Users post are composed of "Txt-Tlk" and "1337 5P34K".
It's terrifying.
emo

-shivers- Don't tell me such things. It's scary. xD  

randomanimosity

MistressIce

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 4:09 pm
Dr. Abominable
TXT TLK MAKES U TYP FASTR.
U JST CNT DO IT CUZ UR DUM.

I do feel as if I might be sick.... (Runs off to find a trashcan)  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 4:27 pm
Spam, flame, troll, yak, yada yada. This thread apparently didn't get nailed when it was made, so I'm locking it down. Thread maker might be banned, I dunno, I'd have to talk with Yami first. *shrug*

Lockage!  

DarkElf27

Familiar Guildsman

11,250 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200
Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash