Cherry
  Blue Berry
  S'mores
  Goth-tart flavored!
View Results

-Resurrected Writer-
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 1:59 pm
Yes, I went through a pretty insecure phase myself at one point...
but I believe that the most integral to "what is goth" has to do with music and mindset - enjoying gothic rock and related genres (deathrock, darkwave, post-punk, horror punk, dark cabaret, etc); as well as having a creative mind, being curious about religion and philosophy, and having an acceptance in subjects most would find depressing (mortality being a fairly common subject)  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 2:57 pm
Isobel Bellamy
Tyshia
Isobel Bellamy
Tyshia
Goth to me is basically someone who identifies with the subculture, whether it be interest in the music, the fashion, the mindset, or any other part of the culture.

(PS: Do you mean Voltaire as in the Enlightenment era philosophe Voltaire? Because I've been hearing a lot of people talking about different Voltaires and getting all excited only to be disappointed. The newer Voltaires aren't nearly as amazing as the original.)

The Voltaire most commonly referenced to here in goth matters is the multi-talented Voltaire of "oh my Goth!" fame

Rawr, disappointment. I have read up on some of that Voltaire's stuff, but I still much prefer the original. sad

Ah, sorry hun ^^;

Hrm original Voltaire eh? When I have enough money to get a new book I'll look him up (slight problem in that I don't have enough to eat atm o.O), I'm currently reading Dante at the moment, deliciously pretentious and tutors think you're smart too ^^

Ah, I adored Inferno. But Paradise bored me and Purgatory I just couldn't get into.

Original Voltaire is amazing. I recommend Candide first. It's a little novella about how hopeless life is. It's crazy random and skips around a lot, but I found it hilarious, and even though the whole thing seems sickeningly optimistic, I think his overall message is pretty cynical.

Agh, I'm going to write a book on him if I don't stop here. I really love Voltaire. heart heart  

Kristoya

-Isel-

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 3:03 pm
Rellik San
Isobel Bellamy
Silly.Doll
I just wanted to see if people can agree on one definition of goth.

You are kidding right? o.O

That's led to many an argument on here..

there seem to be 2-3 versions or variations on them:

Fan of Goth-Rock

'Dark' personality or state-of-mind/love of 'dark' things

Anyone that wears black and listens to music that isn't of the mainstream (usaully used by those not of 'alternative' subculture/less well informed members of the 'alternative' subcultre)

There is the alternative 4th view... we are just damn sexy people and love to flaunt it. XD.

Because whats more attractive then a girl suffocating herself in a corset?
Or a guy in tight leather pants?

A guy suffocating himself in a corset AND in tight leather pants.

What? Am I being self-serving again, and calling myself sexy?

Yes, I am.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 3:59 pm
Isel
Rellik San
Isobel Bellamy
Silly.Doll

Fan of Goth-Rock

Anyone that wears black and listens to music that isn't of the mainstream (usaully used by those not of 'alternative' subculture/less well informed members of the 'alternative' subcultre)

There is the alternative 4th view... we are just damn sexy people and love to flaunt it. XD.

A guy suffocating himself in a corset AND in tight leather pants.

What? Am I being self-serving again, and calling myself sexy?

Yes, I am.

We already knew that baby *smokes cigarette* we already knew.  

Rellik San
Crew

Silly_Doll

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 4:34 pm
Rellik San
Isobel Bellamy
Silly.Doll

Fan of Goth-Rock

xd I like this deff. the best. It's so true... It's almost too truth. I can't even handel it! The visions in my head will make me a-splode.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 4:38 pm
Tyshia
Goth to me is basically someone who identifies with the subculture, whether it be interest in the music, the fashion, the mindset, or any other part of the culture.

(PS: Do you mean Voltaire as in the Enlightenment era philosophe Voltaire? Because I've been hearing a lot of people talking about different Voltaires and getting all excited only to be disappointed. The newer Voltaires aren't nearly as amazing as the original.)

no, not the french philosopher Voltaire, he's been dead for a while XD  

Silly_Doll

Corpse_Bride_131

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 4:43 pm
Rellik San
Isobel Bellamy
Silly.Doll

Fan of Goth-Rock

Seriously! Everytime this kid says somethin' he makes me laugh. He's like, someone funny! Like, like, like..... like Jerry Seinfeld!!!! rofl Ah... sometimes I crack myself up.
(Wow. Totally not relevent/an example of Goth. Oh well. Twas fun.)  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 5:08 pm
Eh. Read my signature.

Nero PsyKoTiX

AngelofDeath~4

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 5:16 pm
Sorry but i have to say this "when people call themselves emo, goth, punk, or what ever it's just to get attention." that's all i have to say.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 5:51 pm
AngelofDeath~4
Sorry but i have to say this "when people call themselves emo, goth, punk, or what ever it's just to get attention." that's all i have to say.

neutral

I believe a goth to be an avid fan of goth-rock.

I am an avid fan of goth-rock.

Am I "craving attention" by referring to myself as a goth?  

GilAskan
Crew

Nero PsyKoTiX

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 6:03 pm
AngelofDeath~4

Wait, but then how could you know you're one of those things, if by your logic you don't even declare yourself one.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 6:47 pm
[.Suicidal.Tomatoes.]
AngelofDeath~4

Wait, but then how could you know you're one of those things, if by your logic you don't even declare yourself one.

I think she means that if you declair yourself out loud, then you're "trying to get attention."

Which is kind of ignorant when you think about. I mean I run around my school in a black and red shirt that reads "I AM COMMUNISM" am I trying to get attention? Yes I'll admit it... but does it make it any less true? Nope, I really am a communist. Clear as vodka.  

Silly_Doll

Rellik San
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:41 pm
AngelofDeath~4

So because I say I am a metaller, because I like heavy metal...

I'm doing it for attention?  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:46 pm
Rellik San
AngelofDeath~4

So because I say I am a metaller, because I like heavy metal...

I'm doing it for attention?

Well... you might be. But that really doesn't make it any less true, now does it?  

Silly_Doll

-Isel-

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:47 pm
Silly.Doll
[.Suicidal.Tomatoes.]
AngelofDeath~4

I think she means that if you declair yourself out loud, then you're "trying to get attention."

Which is kind of ignorant when you think about. I mean I run around my school in a black and red shirt that reads "I AM COMMUNISM" am I trying to get attention? Yes I'll admit it... but does it make it any less true? Nope, I really am a communist. Clear as vodka.

Well that shirt is kinda lame.

"I AM SET OF IDEALS"

That could be anything else and make just as much sense, like "I AM IMPERIALISM" or "I AM BUDDHISM".

You can't -be- a set of ideals, that's just preposterous.

~ Main Forum ~

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff