Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
If I'm the only one... Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Free gold for you.
  yay. : ]]
View Results

Lady Pica

Salty Wench

8,975 Points
  • Beta Explorer 0
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 12:29 pm
I do that. I actually had to get a new copy because my dictionary got so beat up, I usued it so much.  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 5:34 pm
I read the medical dictionary in my spare time. The normal dictionary is only used for looking up words I don't know, which is happening less and less. *nostalgia*  

MyOwnBestCritic

Dapper Dabbler

FieryKnife

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 11:33 am
I like looking through the dictionary during school sometimes(English or Japanese), but I've found that it doesn't work as well for me as others. I tend to embarrass myself when I try to use a word I learned directly from the dictionary, because I don't know the context. I'll get too excited, use a word I've just learned, and someone will ask: "Why did you use that?".

After about the thousandth time I made a mistake with context, I vowed to be careful when using the dictionary. Even a word I absolutely love I won't use if I hadn't seen it somewhere in a book, or heard it in context, or whatever it takes. As a last resort, I'll ask someone. ninja

My English classes really help, because the literature we read is full of words I've never seen in context before.

Not that I don't love using the dictionary anymore, it just may take a while for me to use the words I may learn in there. Now that I think of it, I need a new dictionary soon.  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 8:15 pm
I probably use an on line dictionary every day. With writing poetry, I always make sure I spell words correctly before printing/copyrighting them. I also home school my daughter, and we use a dictionary in school daily. I'm 42 and I like to learn knew words every day. ninja (who wouldn't?)  

hippiepoet1964

splashseal

Fluffy Bunny

19,225 Points
  • Little Bunny Foo Foo 100
  • Pet Lover 100
  • Gifting Gone Wild 250
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 12:28 am
Yay! I am not alone in my quest for new words. Some of my favorite words were found by randomly flipping through the dictionary.  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 1:08 am
What I do, is I go through every page in the dictionary and make sure I know at least five words from every page. I love doing that, but I love finding random words and learning them as well.  

x_chibi_love_x

Kisu Midori

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 7:38 am
Well if I'm reading a book, and I come across a word I don't know, I'll look it up. Then I'll get a thesaurus and look us some words that mean the same thing, then look up words that mean the same as one of those words, and I keep going until I get tired of it, or I want to go back to my book.
Yeah, I look throught what I post several times before hitting 'submit'.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 8:14 am
well I'm the only one on the guild right now it seems  

Thermond

Korrey

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 12:21 pm
I do it too.... so don't feel bad. During the summer when there is nothing to do I try to to look up words in the dictionary and then try to use them when I talk to people. I know... I'm weird.
-Korrey-  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 1:22 pm
Well, I try to read the dictionary but I can't keep it up for too long. I know what you mean though. It's kind of interesting to learn new words.  

The Shoe Pile

ruddah_baggah

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 4:57 pm
Man! The dictionary taught me what DNA stands for! It was awesome.

I think the dictionary is more intelligent and tolerant than 80% of my school...  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 5:54 pm
I worship thefreedictionary.com. It rocks my world. XD Ha. And the wikipedia extra on it is good for when I have no idea what people are talking about... which is quite often... sweatdrop  

Mother Superior

Dapper Businesswoman

5,200 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Friendly 100
  • Full closet 200
Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers