Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
The Word Like is So ANNOYING Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Is it annoying??
  Yes, and this is the only choice
View Results

felicityvalentine

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 6:55 am
I always end up using it. I'm really bad at speaking orally. You'd always hear me starting my sentences with "Um..." but I say 'like' when I really can't verbalize what I mean to say. It's not that bad. What's bad is when you say, for example:
"Like, oh my gosh. Like, did you, like, see that movie last night? It's, like, so totally awesome. I, like, loved it and stuff. I'm, like, totally watching it again."
That's just weird. But it's sad to know that people DO speak like this.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 12:41 pm
Arkly
Like is quite annoying,but I have noticed that I tend to use "dude" alot....Bad habit.

Uh... Did you know that a "Dude" Is a Camel's p***s?

I HATE the word 'like'. One time there were 2 girls on the bus sitting in front of me. and one of them was saying.

""And he like went like to like the movies like with like Jess like.""

I could barely refrain myself from hitting her. Seriously.  

Smoozle

Generous Millionaire

7,700 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Megathread 100

baby_dragonite

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 8:02 pm
It's not like I can help it!!! ((at least I rememered to capatilize my I's this time)) It's just that I've used it so much that it sounds wierd when I don't use it.  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 3:18 pm
It makes you sound really stupid, like an uneducated parrot. Unfortunatly, at one point in my life, it somehow worked its way into my frequently used vocabualary.

Some ways to prevent yourself from using it include thinking about ways you can say something without using like, and hitting yourself every time you catch yourself using the cursed word stressed  

Duke.Lychee

Unknowncreepychick

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 3:40 pm
Well, in my opinion, it's not a concious decision to use the word "like". It's usually when a person has to pause for a moment to think, and doesn't want to stop talking. Which is so often the case for people who use this word excessively, because their mouths tend to work faster then their minds.

In rhetoric it is drilled into a students head that the use of the work "like" in the context presented is akin to a deadly sin, along with the use of "uhh", and "um".

I believe that more schools should reinstate rhetoric as an available class. Often the only thing resembling a public speaking class is Drama, or Theater, and is rarely focused enough to make a lasting impression on most people.  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 4:15 pm
What I really dislike is when people use the word in the place of "said" or another verb suggesting verbal interaction:

"And I was like, 'Oh my gosh!'
And then he was like, 'I know!'
And then I was like, 'I, like, totally can't believe that!'"

That's really, really, annoying.  

Iveris

Kitten_Ember

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 4:31 pm
I have to admit I do use like at times where other words would be more appropriate. My biggest problem is using the phrase "I don't know it's like I don't know." when I get really upset and have a hard time verbalizing what is going through my head. Though I have been trying to stop and think before I speak.  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 8:58 am
I try to avoid saying the word "like".Once when I said it,I felt as if I was an idiot.  

Trinity Fields

Acerbic Song

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 2:24 pm
Yes, it is annoying. I hear it overused constantly. Then again, I use it myself in place of "said" often. My friends also use it, and that doesn't help me get rid of the habit. ><  
Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff