Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
Txt Tlk: When is it acceptable? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Chat Speak?
  Texting.
  AIM
  Never.
View Results

SchwickilySargasmicBby

450 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Statustician 100
  • Member 100
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 4:13 pm
Sorry, *write  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 4:17 pm
Whenever you want.

:/

Why isn't that a poll option?  

The Man who was Thursday

shannonrwrwrw

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 5:35 pm
bRoKeNhEaRt56
Well, I never really use "txt talk," because I can't text on my cell phone anyway, but if I did have text, I would probably use text talk so that I could right more in my messages.

Write...you mean write...because you said right.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 5:36 pm
bRoKeNhEaRt56
Sorry, *write

Oops. Haha.  

shannonrwrwrw

shannonrwrwrw

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 5:41 pm
ljosberinn
I both agree and disagree with Smoozle. I personally never use text-talk, and I tend to get rather annoyed when talking to people that use it alot, but sometimes when sending text messages I do have to shorten the text a little bit, either so it can fit into one message (saves money and I don't really have alot of money!) or so that I can actually send it because of the text limit. I'd feel very weird with sending a full message and then one or two words in a different message. But usually it'd be replacing the 'and's with &s and replacing Icelandic word with shorter English ones, etc.

I do hate the excuse 'it saves tiiiime' though. What is it about time anyway, we have time in abundance and still everybody keeps freaking out because they think they're losing so much of it. Today's society is all about doing things FAST. Whyyyy? D:

No, when I mean it saves time, I mean...

...So I will be at school waiting for my bus to come pick me up and a teacher is around, but I NEED to text my best friend. I don't have time to be a grammar freak. I use slight chat speak. I NEVER use intense chat speak, but I use n, u, r, wat, goin, lol, etc. [[[]]]] I use all the time to look co0o0ol.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 5:50 pm
Only if someone is coming to kill you, and only seconds away, and your only way to communicate is via computer. Even then, it's probably faster for most people here to type normally, and you run the risk of whoever's reading it not understanding.  

DarkElf27

Familiar Guildsman

11,250 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200

x_Chromatic Zelda_x

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 6:52 pm
Well, never really, in my opinion at least.

I only have one exception, and that's when you're in a huge rush and need to go NOW, y'know?  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 12:31 am
Intuicide
Smoozle
Never. Chat speak or 'txt tlk' is an abomination to the English language. If less people used it, the world might see a general increase of school exam passes. I know that this seems a bit of a long shot, but it could happen. If you use 'txt tlk' then you're just plain stupid.
Fewer.
If fewer people used it...

Thank you.  

Smoozle

Generous Millionaire

7,700 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Megathread 100

felicityvalentine

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:02 am
Txt talk is acceptable while texting, probably because it's harder to text than it is to type. It saves time. That's my reason. And I hardly text at all. And when I do, I use the ACTUAL English language. XD  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 9:12 am
Never text talk in serious roleplay.
Unless its simple things like..........

OMG

WTF?!?

Lol

Or other things like that.

Don't use them often though.

And mostly, don't delibrately type bad.....You'll regret it.....o_0

Violet the mystical

Colibobbins

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 6:19 pm
Don't turn your back upon the world, or the world will turn it's back upon you.

Demonstration:

Insane "txt tlk"

LyKea HOMgEAEE,I Loike, TTlY LuV tis ORSUmE BAnD!!!! ThiS is teH MOST AWESOMORZEZST bANDORZ iN ZEH wURLDDE!1!2$deTRfRT wtfomgttylttfnBBQ!!!!!

Much easier to type and read english.

I love this band, I think they're totally awesome.

Now, I understand someone may be excited about such an event.

OH! I REALLY LOVE THIS BAND!!! I'VE LOVED IT FOR YEARS I'M SO GLAD THEY'RE(insert what going the hell on here)!!!!!!!!!!! I'M EXTREMELY HAPPY!!!!

At least you can still read that... stare
This is my reason why it should not be alowed at ALL. If I was texted like that on my cell I would probably toss it into the ocean.

Don't turn your back upon the world, or the world will turn it's back upon you.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 7:14 pm
I'm reluctant to say that it's okay for text messaging, since some people are charged on some kind of per unit basis. Per limited message is a common pay scheme I've seen. If it would cost more to type full words, then it would be considered frugal to do so, but only if doing so would actually save that money. A simple "Hello, where are you?" is comparable and preferable to "yo, wer u b?"  

ChaoSpectre

heathec

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 7:26 pm
Only if you have an emergancy that you HAVE to type very fast.  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 5:34 am
NEVER!
Let's just slaughter the entire English language while we're at it!
Who needs vowels when you have consonants?
Who needs a SHIFT Key when You could just type in entirely lower-cases forever?
(Some DO overuse the shift key, though. That highly annoys me. To me, caps and "txt tlk" are the two abominations to the internet world.)  

Xx_Murderous Doll_xX

Lord_Sunday

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 6:01 am
In my opinion, "txt tlk" should never be used. I don't use it myself, in fact, the closest I ever get to it is when I am talking on MSN or texting, where I type out the words in full but tend to neglect punctuation. However, I know people who talk to me online in text talk and it annoys me no end. Many times I have had to ask for an explanation.  
Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff