Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Poetry
My Disturbing Emo Poem Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Mistress Bella Muerte

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 4:57 pm
YoTeAmo
sanguinaryheart, you are no longer allowed to use the word stereotype seeing as you stereotype yourself. Cheerleaders are NOT happy all the time. Yes, they smile during games, but that is to encourage the team and crowd.

. . . . Well, I'm sorry. All the cheerleaders I'VE met act happy all the time. And when I said that I meant that they do ACT happy, in the truest sense of the word. I never said they were actually always perky airheads. But, in order to encourage that "school spirit", they do have to show, well.... "spirit". That's all.

I think this poem is rather repetitive, also.

I think it's offensive to people who, to their dislike, must categorize themselves under the label of "emo", because what you're basically saying is that emos kill/hurt themselves because they're simply BORED. And you explain the subject(1st person voice)'s purpose as simply because "emo am I". This places the term "emo" under all the things described in your poem.

That's why I don't like it.  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 4:35 am
okay about the whole cheerleader thing I have to say not all cheer leaders act happy at all thats just a sterotype that was given to them. I know cheerleaders that are depressed.  

Muffin Manic

Hilarious Raccoon

hippiepoet1964

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:15 am
I thought the piece sort of repetitive and juvenile, but that is only my opinion. If it pleases the writer, then it is a good piece for them. I love writing and personally find it to be a sort of therapy of sorts.
Peace.  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 3:46 pm
sanguinaryheart
YoTeAmo
sanguinaryheart, you are no longer allowed to use the word stereotype seeing as you stereotype yourself. Cheerleaders are NOT happy all the time. Yes, they smile during games, but that is to encourage the team and crowd.

. . . . Well, I'm sorry. All the cheerleaders I'VE met act happy all the time. And when I said that I meant that they do ACT happy, in the truest sense of the word. I never said they were actually always perky airheads. But, in order to encourage that "school spirit", they do have to show, well.... "spirit". That's all.

I think this poem is rather repetitive, also.

I think it's offensive to people who, to their dislike, must categorize themselves under the label of "emo", because what you're basically saying is that emos kill/hurt themselves because they're simply BORED. And you explain the subject(1st person voice)'s purpose as simply because "emo am I". This places the term "emo" under all the things described in your poem.

That's why I don't like it.

So, just like I said before, you're stereotyping cheerleaders based on cheerleaders YOU'VE met. By the way, hun, a lot of really good poems are repetitive. I like the repetitive phrases. No, the author was not saying that emos kill/hurt themselves because they're bored. In the comments above, it was stated that they were merely bored so they wrote that poem. The term "emo" is just a label. It doesn't mean anything. Just because I'm a cheerleader, I'm suppose to be happy and mean? I don't think so. Half of my cheerleading squad does things that the poem says. The author is merely stating that they are emo. It doesn't mean anything. It's not stereotyping. It would have been VERY offensive if the author, in fact, had been hurting themselves and you commented on the stereotyping. Please, don't lecture them about stereotyping when you have TWICE stereotyped commenting on their poem.

YoTeAmo

xkuroi_nekox

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 1:11 pm
Whoa...and here I thought "it must be a very good poem"....ha ha. Ok so first of all, to the writer. I completely respect your emotions, and thoughts, but in a way it is a bit childish, so to speak. It is a nice piece of work but you'd have to try harder to get too many compliments. But it is agreed, I love your boredom results =^_^=.

As for the bickering bunch here, I would have to say just drop the subject before one hates the other. I know it's ok to argue to opposing views but i think it's enough. Please don't kill me =^_^;=

As for the whole "emo" subject, I personally dislike this whole new trend or whatever you may call it. Society is cynical now a days....If you know what I mean. =^_^=

and thats about it. I hope I didn't make anyone too angry.

-Kuroi Neko-

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 1:52 pm
OK, this is retarded. In my school I'm "labeled", as you say, "emo". But, I don't slit my wrists or try to commit suicide. This term "emo" is offensive to me, I hate it. So yeah, I hate your poem because it is offensive to me. Just because I have an "emo flip" doesn't mean I try to kill myself. It also doesn't mean I listen to metal, I do not jump around at concerts or I feel like everyday is halloween because of the way I dress. Also, I don't wear nail polish OR make-up whatsoever and the "Emo Song" as I assume most of you have heard, is lying about my "type". All these things are stated in the song, I'm not saying they are in the poem, although I also think that when you think of "emos" you are stereotyping. So shut up. I don't even get what "emo" is supposed to mean. Where the hell did it come from?  

- Q u e e n i e___ xo

YoTeAmo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 4:31 pm
PlayMyDarkSecret
OK, this is retarded. In my school I'm "labeled", as you say, "emo". But, I don't slit my wrists or try to commit suicide. This term "emo" is offensive to me, I hate it. So yeah, I hate your poem because it is offensive to me. Just because I have an "emo flip" doesn't mean I try to kill myself. It also doesn't mean I listen to metal, I do not jump around at concerts or I feel like everyday is halloween because of the way I dress. Also, I don't wear nail polish OR make-up whatsoever and the "Emo Song" as I assume most of you have heard, is lying about my "type". All these things are stated in the song, I'm not saying they are in the poem, although I also think that when you think of "emos" you are stereotyping. So shut up. I don't even get what "emo" is supposed to mean. Where the hell did it come from?

If you're emo then you should know what it means? If you're not emo, however, then tell people that you're not. I, myself, prefer not to be labeled under those kinds of terms. If you're not emo, you should not find this poem offensive, nor feel the need to complain about it. As I stated before, the poem was not meant to express the stereotype of emo. This fight has last too long, so I agree with xkuroi_nekox. The topic of stereotyping emos will be dropped. Although, I'd have to disagree with xkuroi_nekox about the childishness of this poem. I think it's a good poem, but maybe that's because I'm use to writing deep and dark poems.  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 5:27 pm
My sincerist apology to anyone who felt offened by my poem. I do not have a sterotipacial veiw of 'emos' and I know a few who aren't like what my poem suggests. I myself have been labeled 'emo' and it really cheeses me off. I only wrote this because I was bored and I once said to my friend 'bored to the brink of death'. So, once again, my sincerist apology to any and all who feel I have offened them.  

Scythes R Us

xkuroi_nekox

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 12:22 am
There is no need to apologize really, there's nothing wrong with the way you feel, or think, so don't say you're sorry. I ,like yourself, have written very dark poems, in fact I submitted two to this forum but no one ever read. look for 'life=love=pain'(compliments/complaints are accepted)......or something to that effect. I was actually depresed at one point.....but ANY WAY, thats beside the point. Like I was saying, I like your poem and wether it made other people mad, well its called "freedom of speech" =^_^=  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 7:42 pm

Yeah, you really don't need to appologize! If you're "emo", you're allowed to write things like that or if that's how you feel. Some poems do offend others, but it's not a huge deal. I know for a fact that some of the poems I write in my poem journal upstairs would offend many people, but I wouldn't care. Poems channel an authors outlook of life, or just random thoughts.

YoTeAmo

Muffin Manic

Hilarious Raccoon

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 2:28 pm
why are cutters called emo doesn't that just mean emotional?  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 4:04 pm
Yeah, emo is short for emotinal. I seriously don't see why some cutters are called emo.  

Scythes R Us

Fluidz

Tricky Hellraiser

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:11 pm
whoa um, this is depressing, but good but very emo, so I dont know what I want to call this xp  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:37 pm
Wow, I can't believe there's been such a debate over the whole 'it's steroe-typing people'! Isn't this guild about respecting each other and giving advice to people so they can improve their grammar and works? I don't mean to sound grumpy, but can we PLEASE get back to the poem, and it's good and bad points? Hmm? neutral We shouldn't fight and argue! Lets all be friends now! blaugh heart  

Wolfie Kid

Fuzzy Flatterer

9,350 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Invisibility 100

Frankendoll.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:23 am
You're acting like children.

The autor of this poem should not have had to apologise for her work at all!

At this point I am very much agreeing with YoTeAmo. Except for on one thing. By stating that the poem is 'Emo' which she did do, she is implying a stereotype. The content can be taken the wrong way, as it does give the impression that she is saying Emos want to die just because they're bored, whether she intended it or not.

As for the rest of you, if you are not Emo - stop complaining.
And if you do feel the need to lable yourself as this, and want to voice your opinion, it is possible to do so without being so rude to the author and other people.

So please. stop disrespecting each other. We are all writers, and you know you'd hate it if it was your work that caused something like this.

I say again, at no point should she have to apologise for her writing. It's pathetic that you drove her to do it.

As for the poem, I didn't find it to my taste, I didn't really like the repitition and I couldn't get into a steady flow. That is not to say it is a bad poem - if it pleases you, then it is good.

Poetry

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff