Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
What goes through a persons mind when they text talk? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

What do you think?
  Wait, They are people?
  They can't spell.
  They wish to anger us to no end.
View Results

CristoVII

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 3:20 pm
That seems somewhat like a philosophy question. A few ideas:

"I need to finish this fast!"

"How do you spell [insert word here]"

And a few others.  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 3:21 pm
There are people who purposely spell words wrong when they're talking online, even if the original word and the misspelled one have the same amount of letters!  

kirb-sama

kyuuketsuki4

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 7:39 pm
What goes through their minds?

Okay, so I have to type this "properly."

Yes, I should type just like this, everyone will think I'm so cool.

Ooh, darn, I forgot to type correctly.

y shld type js lik dis thik me kol

Ugh, I forgot to leave out an "e."

y shld typ js lik dis thik me kol

That is their thought process. I'm sorry about the slaughtering of the English language there. Red=thoughts and Dark Red=typed message.  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 7:54 pm
First post: "person's"

MuffinChick54: "My friends and I"

--

I'm not sure what really goes through a txt tlker's mind when they type. For some, it is just like kyuuketsuki4's example, although the thought process may be a little simpler. For others, it's just habit. I used to be this way. They don't really have any super brain messages that tell them to type normally or in txt tlk. They just type the thought that comes to their mind without thinking about how inconvenient it is for others to read their text.  

chrystalclear

Febia

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 2:37 pm
They just want to talk fast, so their friend on the other end isn't agrivated, because they took too long to type. I use to use it, but now I think it is extremly annoying . I don't know what their saying. It is just angering me, but that's not why they use it. We shouldn't hate them, because they don't type out their words . We can respectfully ask them to type their words.
That's all I have to say. Please correct my spelling so I can learn, if you want.  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 2:44 am
They think: "OMG im so cool, LoL!" (God, writing that hurt! gonk )

@Febia:

I marked in red the mistakes I caught. The correction is in brackets, but bear in mind that I'm not a native English speaker:

"They just want to talk fast, so their friend on the other end isn't agrivated (aggravated), because they took too long to type. I use (used) to use it, but now I think it is extremly (extremely) annoying . I don't know what their (they're) saying. It is just angering me (I think this should be "It just angers me," but I'm not sure), but that's not why they use it. We shouldn't hate them, (this comma shouldn't be here, unless you mean that the reason why we shouldn't hate them is that they don't type the words) because they don't type out their words . We can respectfully ask them to type their words.
That's all I have to say. Please correct my spelling so I can learn, if you want.  

Munia

Friendly Gaian

11,950 Points
  • Generous 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Firestarter 200

ramforce

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 6:52 am
I just don't care what goes on in they're heads. All I care is the headache they cause me when I try to read whatever they "type".  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 7:51 am
If you're not going to type out the words it must not be that important.  

[Apep]

Yokushi

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 8:15 am
I shouldn't give this too much thought, but I can't help myself...
I think it depends on the person. Some simply do it because it's faster. Others do it because it's considered 'cool' in their circle of friends.
Most people actually take longer to type because they have to be thinking about how to mess up the word correctly.
It also got me thinking about something. The way they write, by taking out all the vowels, it's the same way the Ancient Egyptians wrote. The difference is that the Egyptians used symbols. But still, if you think of it that way, I think it's kinda neat.

Wht d y thnk?  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 6:57 am
Hmm, in my opinion, they are probably considering how easy it is just to txt talk. In other words, they may be thinking about the matter of laziness.  

Sweet Blushes

little_evil_goth

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 8:30 pm
To save time more than anything, handy if you are in a 3+ conversation on msn. It soon becomes too easy to do and they insist upon it.  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 8:49 pm
little_evil_goth
To save time more than anything, handy if you are in a 3+ conversation on msn. It soon becomes too easy to do and they insist upon it.

I agree. I have a friend who's a straight A student, but types in txt tlk on MSN just to save time. Most of my friends who are in Honors English with me ues txt tlk on MSN. So, they're lazy butts.  

SilverMaple

Sparkly Lover

PsYcHoSyS

7,850 Points
  • Prayer Circle 200
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Megathread 100
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 11:35 pm
Chibi_Atsui_Neko
Arkly
I'm not sure if this has been adressed before, but what do you think goes through a persons (Yes, somehow they are people.) mind when they txt tlk? Please post your thoughts on this.

Wait, they're people and they can think? I think you are giving these people to much credit for their stupidity. I'm sure, if they do think, they're saying "Its fun 2 pis off gaias lol" ...Damn n00bs, I hate them... Well that's my personal opinion for most of them. DOWN WITH TEXT TALK!

I thought there would be no hating... Just because they choose to txt tlk doesn't necessarily mean they ARE stupid. Lazy, maybe, but not stupid. I have to agree though with a previous post, I guess a lot of txt tlkrs think that because someone else is talking to them in that manner, so should they. To fit in. Or maybe to appear just as lazy. Whatever.  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 11:43 pm
ramforce
I just don't care what goes on in they're heads. All I care is the headache they cause me when I try to read whatever they "type".

Wow, I guess no one felt the need to correct this?

Yeah me neither.  

PsYcHoSyS

7,850 Points
  • Prayer Circle 200
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Megathread 100

Charles Arobin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 12:06 am
I have no idea what goes through there mind. The worst I have ever done was when I was first starting out online I left out punctuation. Looking at my old writing it even bothers me! The one thing I just can not understand is the substitution of the letter -y- for the letter -i- is it that much of a difference people? Do they think they sound sophisticated?  
Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff