Myth: Depressives are whiners Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Depression is not...
  Imaginary.
  A Fake Desease.
  Something you can Snap The ******** Out Of.
  ALL OF THE ABOVE.
View Results

gothkid82

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 3:01 pm
I have only recently been diagnosed with some form of depression. (I think there was a name for it. It escapes at this moment.)

I knew it ran in my family, mostly on my mother's side. Most of what has caused me to seek therapy has been external stimuli. I am going through a very rough period in my life and I needed help dealing with all the negative emotions/thoughts.

My therapist suspects the depression as been ongoing, but we've talked so little it is really hard to be sure at this point. For me, this would seem to verify that it is somewhat genetic... at least my case.  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 3:49 pm
I only say that because the people I know that claim to be "Depressed" are being asses, and just want attention. My aspect will change when someone I know can prove to me that they are really depressed, and not just seeking attention

Sorry If I offended you who are really diagnosed with depression.  

DarkJoker99

5,500 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Contributor 150
  • Citizen 200

lysseee

6,100 Points
  • Team Edward 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Invisibility 100
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 3:55 pm
it's not about offending anyone, it's about going into thread that starts with this;
Veruniel
Okay, it's time to debunk a tired old stereotype. Scads of people on Gaia believe that depression is the same as blowing things out of proportion or whining about problems that don't exist.

This makes as much sense as saying that all asthmatics are whiners. Or all diabetics. Or all people with AIDS.

Let's get one thing perfectly clear, people.

Whining is a conscious act. Whether you do it or not is a personal choice.

Depression is a systemic illness, caused by abnormal biochemistry. It is genetic, and you have no control over whether you are depressed or not.
(It's also worth noting that most depressed people do not whine or brood, because they know that it exacerbates the illness and is an enormous waste of time.)
and posting this in reply;
DarkJoker99
I only say that because the people I know that claim to be "Depressed" are being asses, and just want attention. My aspect will change when someone I know can prove to me that they are really depressed, and not just seeking attention

i hope you can see how this makes you appear as a very shallow person.  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 3:58 pm
just forget what I said, i am quitting this guild anyway, nothing to do here.  

DarkJoker99

5,500 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Contributor 150
  • Citizen 200

kykana

Invisible Informer

8,925 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Generous 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:03 pm
DarkJoker99

Sorry If I offended you who are really diagnosed with depression.

I think what she was getting at was that the people who usually go about telling everyone "I'm depressed" "I felt so bad last night I slit my wrist, want to see?" are just looking for attention and aren't really depressed.
A person who is depressed and slits their wrists because of this, don't go around showing.
Especially if one of the things that causing them to become depressed is that they think they're a burden on people.
They would then try their best to hide it because they wouldn't want to worry people.  
~ Main Forum ~

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff