Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply "TXT TLK" horror stories
TXT-TLK allowed in state testing? GASP!!!! Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Horrible?
  ******** yes!
  Reasonable
  No opinion
View Results

starii nova

Dapper Genius

4,000 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Invisibility 100
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 4:19 pm

I live in Delaware, too. xD Awesome.

I heard rumors about this about two or three months ago... And I told my dad, and he thought it was bullshit. I agree completely that it is for a good reason:

If they don't even spell and write literately on their damn tests that decide if they pass or not, what happens when they try to write up their portfolios for jobs? Or will literal religious Hell break loose and, (your god's name here) forbid, business owners start accepting those. I would shoot myself in the foot. Maybe on my injured toe.

But I'm even more appalled because I really want to be a writer for a living... and if the world turns too much to that, they won't even understand the real spellings and language, and all books will become written in 'txt tlk' and I'll be out of a job... At least, as a writer. I'd backup on photography.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 4:43 pm
This is why the United States will not remain a superpower too much longer. Our own laziness will bury us.  

Mist in Shadows

teh brittie

9,325 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Junior Trader 100
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 4:59 pm
Perhaps I have been misinformed and lied to as an American, however, it was my belief that the intent of such a test would be to ensure that those who passed it at least could read and write at an acceptable level. I'm pretty sure that Harvard and Yale would be displeased to see "lyk lemme in cuz i rawk lawlz" as a substitute for an admissions essay. That being said, may whatever God or greater fortune that watches the events upon this Earth unfold have mercy on those of us who value the attempt and effort that goes into doing things correctly, and not into doing them as though we had the mental facilities of a dragonfly.  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 5:21 pm
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

.::Ebony says::.

I ... I don't understand.

I thought exams and tests were meant to measure knowlege.

Not degrade it.

;______:

.::[/Ebony]::.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.  

Ebania

Sarcastic Prophet

-la reine des gitans-

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 8:19 pm
Exactly. Each one of you has expressed my same thoughts. And I'm glad to know someone here also lives in Delaware!

Jhueko, you also brought up resumes. I was taught in every computer class I've taken that ANY mistake in a resume is very foretelling. It shows that if you don't take the time to even spell a word correctly you must also be careless in the job. If I was an employer and someone came in with a resume that contained "txt tlk" or mispelled words, I'd toss it in the bin and tell them to get out. Immediately.

For some reason, people think that it is acceptable to speak like barbarians. Not only does this insult every other well-versed American, it also defeats the purpose of living in America, which is supposed to be a land of learning and opportunity.

I, personally, am offended that when someone texts or IMs me, they don't take a half a second to spell out their thoughts. Maybe that's just me, but when I'm really on edge, one thing that irritates me is improper speech and writing. I go into hysterics and lash out with remarks quite unsuitable for a young lady, but at least they're complete sentences with verbs and subjects. biggrin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 7:50 am
I pray to God that this is just a ******** rumor. That's bullshit right there. I was under the impression that such tests were meant to measure how much you learned in school, not how much illegible crap you can spout out while thinking that you're the coolest person ever to walk the planet.

Damn. That's bullshit. I... can't even begin to comprehend it...

Maryland used to have a test that sounds kinda like that. It was the MSPAP. They've gotten rid of it all together or come up with a new one by now, though. But we had to take it in third, fifth, and eigth grade. Then they had something else for the high schoolers, but it didn't go in effect until the year after I graduated so I don't know anything about it except that we had to take a sample of it in English every year (and some math and science classes) because we were the guinnea pigs. The only thing that I do know about the test is that spelling and grammar was graded very strictly. You would fail if you wrote an essay in txt tlk.

...I'm really hoping that it's just a rumor. I can't believe what our country's schooling system would come to if it were true.  

rae-chan-sensei

Lonely Kitten

ph34r_meh

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 10:56 am
D8 That's so wrong! Are you telling me that if I were to take this test, someone who can't write out their words like normal people can get the same grade as me? The whole point of an English test is to see how well you know proper English. Txt tlk is NOT proper English. It's because of s**t like this that our country is getting less intelligent (just take a look in the direction of the White House for an example). We continue to lower our standards, so far fewer people are getting to the level they need to be at to, say, get into a good college. If you put txt tlk into a college essay, I feel that it is safe to assume that you will NOT get in. If we can just get everyone into the habit of using English the proper way, I wouldn't have to sit through two ******** weeks of basic sentence errors (I'm a senior in an honors level English class!). Some people didn't know how to recognize no-verb phrases or run on sentences! I felt my IQ dropping just listening to everyone trying to figure out the difference between a comma splice and a run on. Does anyone else have this issue?  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:23 pm
That is the most asinine idea I have ever heard. Allowing "txt-tlk" in standardized testing essays further promotes the laziness of this generation. Writing an entire essay in txt-tlk would not only make it difficult for the graders to read but also encourage the people who already use txt-tlk to invent even more atrocious ways to use the English language incorrectly.  

Alice Unrequited

Lacus_And_Kira

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:37 pm
An essay is supposed to test your writing skills. Allowing shortcuts like text talk in a written essay seems a bit wrong in the logical standpoint of a test of that caliber. Please say good grammar skills are not a dying art in this modern world.  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:59 am
If this trend continues just imagine what courtrooms will look like in the future:

Lawyer 1: stfu n00b! i r da lawyer hir

gonk  

applecyder

Imaginary Tears

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:37 pm
I hate the way everything is going. Young people are growing up with text talk. It's disgusting. I hate it. People at school have already started using "jk" instead of "Just Kidding". They're frickin' saying txt talk! gonk The future sounds like it will be horrible if someone doesn't stop this madness. They say they're "trd" from school and "jst wnt 2 cht & r trd of typng" but, in reality it's stupidity. I don't know why people do it. It's not that hard to move your fingers across a keyboard. They're just so frickin' lazy. ...And allowing txt tlk on a standardized test... sick. I can just imagine. "Write about your favorite vacation." "lol i wnt 2 dsny wrld & i wnt 2 mgc kngdm & it ws rely gr8" I take something similar to that... they're called FCATs. "Florida Comprehensive Assessment Test"... or something like that. If they allow that, they'll find me with a knife at their door.  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:51 pm
Acctually... I have found text talk in my MAP tests as I graded them. It was extremely depressing. I gave them an F, stat.  

Archdemonessa

[+umbra+]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:51 pm
User ImageI see the ANGELS...User Image

Oh.
My.
GOD.
Wouldn't the entire purpose of the test be screwed up if they allowed "txt talk"?
"Describe your favorite amusement park ride. Be specific."
[Uber n00ber]: "lol it was gr8 zoom lol i thrw up l8tr lol."

User ImageI'll lead them to your door...User Image

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:55 pm
ph34r_meh
D8 That's so wrong! Are you telling me that if I were to take this test, someone who can't write out their words like normal people can get the same grade as me? The whole point of an English test is to see how well you know proper English. Txt tlk is NOT proper English. It's because of s**t like this that our country is getting less intelligent (just take a look in the direction of the White House for an example). We continue to lower our standards, so far fewer people are getting to the level they need to be at to, say, get into a good college. If you put txt tlk into a college essay, I feel that it is safe to assume that you will NOT get in. If we can just get everyone into the habit of using English the proper way, I wouldn't have to sit through two ******** weeks of basic sentence errors (I'm a senior in an honors level English class!). Some people didn't know how to recognize no-verb phrases or run on sentences! I felt my IQ dropping just listening to everyone trying to figure out the difference between a comma splice and a run on. Does anyone else have this issue?
User ImageI see the ANGELS...User Image

Amen.
I come from a gifted school full of giggly girls that scream "jkjk, omg lols!" at the top of their lungs.
I kicked one of them.
And one of my friends punched one right in the nose yelling "SHUT THE ******** UP!"
Ha.
I wish I could do the punching. ;____;

User ImageI'll lead them to your door...User Image

[+umbra+]

Patron with a Mission

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 2:25 pm
gonk What is this nation coming to?! The whole purpose of exams such as TAKS (the one I took) is to see how much you know and can write. I lament my fate if this rumors are true. On a personal note: If someone brought in an essay full of "text talk," I would rip the paper and yell at them, even if it cost me my job as a tutor.

stare Back in my day, there was grammatically correct essays and reasonable, intelligent things to read. I truly believe the U.S will destroy itself should things continue to slide downhill.  
"TXT TLK" horror stories

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff