Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Literature
Books from classes Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Required course books
  Love them!!
  Hate 'em.
  Either way. I've had both.
  Free gold.
View Results

Zoe green eyes

4,100 Points
  • Member 100
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 5:51 pm
Has anybody read The Giver or Brave New World? Those are both very awesome Sci Fi books that I read in school with very good morals but very deep.  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 6:42 am
I'm currently reading a play called A Doll's House by Henrik Ibsen in my HL English class. It's actually a good story! :3 First time I'm remotely interested in a book assigned by my school! xd  

SilverMaple

Sparkly Lover

Zieza

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 4:35 am
I hated the book Bridge to Terabithia when I had to read it, but I read it again a couple weeks ago and loved it. Maybe it's just having to read the book out loud with a bunch of kids that can barely read or don't care ruins even the best of books.  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 7:57 pm
Wow...I agree with so many statements...

But, I think the best book that I ever had to read for a class was for my Hispanic Culture class last spring. It's called 100 Years of Solitude. It's absolutely amazing! It's an incredibly dense book, so if you skip even a sentence, you miss a lot. (I am a very fast reader, and can do that easily!)

The funny thing about this book for me, was that I didn't know if I liked it or not up until like the last 5 pages. I just kept going "this is great!" "oh gods... not this book again!" up until it ended.

The final verdict being love, i recommend it to everyone.

Dea-chan

P.S. whoever it was that mentioned Caddie Woodlawn... I am in love with you right now! I read it in 7th grade, and completely forgot the name of it... and I've wanted to get a hold of it for a while now. I will send you chocolate!

Dea Mariella

ChibiStarlet

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 5:43 pm
I loved most of what we read, but I have vivd memories of reading The Pearl and A Separate Peace in ninth grade and abhorring them both. I recently reread The Pearl and it wasn't quite so bad...but still not on my good list. =)  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 10:56 am
In english this year we just started reading, Of Mice and Men. We didn't get very far, since our class is difficult to control when reading a book for long periods of time. However, what we have read, I loved.

A book I hate though is, Huck Finn. The dialect drives me crazy and I have to read a page a million times to understand what's going on. Thank God though that she's not having us read it anymore, as long as we use sparknotes. I was VERY happy.

The next book we're reading is The Great Gatsby. (I think that's how you spell it.) I have no idea what it's about or anything, but my teacher likes it. Has anyone here read it and wouldn't mind telling me what it's about?  

mollycule

Miko_Sohma

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 2:57 pm
atom-ique
In english this year we just started reading, Of Mice and Men. We didn't get very far, since our class is difficult to control when reading a book for long periods of time. However, what we have read, I loved.

A book I hate though is, Huck Finn. The dialect drives me crazy and I have to read a page a million times to understand what's going on. Thank God though that she's not having us read it anymore, as long as we use sparknotes. I was VERY happy.

The next book we're reading is The Great Gatsby. (I think that's how you spell it.) I have no idea what it's about or anything, but my teacher likes it. Has anyone here read it and wouldn't mind telling me what it's about?

The Great Gatsby is basically about a complex web of relationships taking place in Long Island during the 1920s. People who are sick of their marriages and cheat on each other, etc. Jay Gatsby is a misunderstood party-animal who lives in a huge mansion, and who everyone knows but no one really knows. I didn't like it at first, but by the end I loved it. The ending is really sad, by the way. ;_;

We are currently reading Huck Finn as well, and I despise it. domokun It is so annoying. I want to scream at the kid to learn grammar. I have to read like 40 pages in it this weekend, too. crying At the same time, though, we're reading God Bless You, Mr. Rosewater by Kurt Vonnegut (who just died last week, sadly) which is a really good satire.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 3:03 pm
Dea Mariella
Wow...I agree with so many statements...

But, I think the best book that I ever had to read for a class was for my Hispanic Culture class last spring. It's called 100 Years of Solitude. It's absolutely amazing! It's an incredibly dense book, so if you skip even a sentence, you miss a lot. (I am a very fast reader, and can do that easily!)

The funny thing about this book for me, was that I didn't know if I liked it or not up until like the last 5 pages. I just kept going "this is great!" "oh gods... not this book again!" up until it ended.

The final verdict being love, i recommend it to everyone.

Dea-chan

P.S. whoever it was that mentioned Caddie Woodlawn... I am in love with you right now! I read it in 7th grade, and completely forgot the name of it... and I've wanted to get a hold of it for a while now. I will send you chocolate!

I'm reading that book on my own right now, and it's taking an incredibly long time, probably because I usually don't have time to read it. It's really good so far, though rather creepy in parts. o_O  

Miko_Sohma

Cherished Strawberries

950 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Statustician 100
  • Member 100
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 1:51 pm
@Zoe green eyes: I have read "The Giver" It was great, because I read ahead of the class. Then my teacher killed it by breaking it up...ugh, that sucked.

In sixth grade I read "Where the Red Fern Grows" with my class. (Once more, I read ahead.) I read the book twice, and both times I cried. It is one of the saddest books I've read. It is also rather gory and bloody. I would recommend it to anyone who has an intelligence and maturity of a teenager. (I say 'the intelligence and maturity' because some younger kids would be able to read it and some older kids won't...if you know what I mean.) stare  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 7:45 pm
Tuesdays With Morrie was an awesome book, although it was an easy read.

This kinda' sounds dorky, but it taught me a lot.  

blueyes10k

Lady Laraine

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 6:12 pm
blueyes10k

Tuesdays With Morrie was a good book. Mitch Albom writes very thought-provoking stories.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 2:11 pm
blueyes10k

I agree. I read it two sittings, and sometimes it got a little sappy, but I loved Morrie's aphorisms. There's really a lot people could learn from them. =)  

ChibiStarlet

Amaya84

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 12:50 am
I remember in sixth grade I fell head-over-heels in love with The Giver. Although it seems simple to me now, I still adore the book. For some odd reason, I also love The Great Gatsby. I seriously thought I would hate the book, yet that wasn't the case at all! I can't stand Of Mice And Men. It's too sad for me, I suppose.  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 9:49 am
The books that I read for classes and loved the most were Hamlet, Frankenstein, and Jane Eyre. I think Hamlet has to be one of my all-time favorite books in the world though. Every time I read it, I discover something new and beautiful.  

Annikaya

Leo Kaicho

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:08 pm
I`ve read alot of books recently: The Catcher in the Rye, Kite Runner, And then there were None, Redeaming Creation, A Conneticut Yankee in King Arthur`s Court, and i`m currently reading The Crucible  
Literature

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff