Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
Isn't saying "txt-talk" technically text talk? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

What do you think?
  Yes.
  No.
View Results

Lady Fenrys

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:36 am
Niccea Majeare
Fenrys Kijin
Question: What does "1337" mean?

sweatdrop I never figured it out...
It means leet. It was a computer chat language used by uber-nerds, but now it is used by noobs.

Ah! I see.

That's disgusting.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:38 am
What is disgusting?

If you want to be technical 1337 is above txt tlk, because it spells out words correctly...albeit in a funky manner. Still nothing beats good ol' fashioned English.  

Niccea Majeare

SarahT3hPixieV2

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 2:21 pm
The word 'txt' is an abbreviation of 'text'. Using 'txt' isn't the proper way to write it nor should it be accepted as a word. It's just an abbreviation people!  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 4:52 pm
Niccea Majeare
Fenrys Kijin
Question: What does "1337" mean?

sweatdrop I never figured it out...
It means leet. It was a computer chat language used by uber-nerds, but now it is used by noobs.
Adding to this, "leet" was probably derived from "elite".  

chrystalclear

Blocktapus

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 4:58 pm
darkrose_eve
I'm just wondering, when people here say "txt-talk" isn't that technically considered text talk? I would love someone to give me a logical and reasonable explanation of why it is or why it isn't.

"Txt-tlk" as they say it.... Well... on the forums, we talk. how do we talk? Well, thats because we use our text to talk. So basically text talk should be chatting, but because of the so called noobs, it turned into chatspeak.
1337?
Its a phrase noobs use to praise other noobs... I think...

But anyways, we are in the gain grammar guide, So we should use proper
grammar.  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 5:03 pm
"Gaian", my fellow literate. And yes, "|337" ("1337") is used for praising others, but it is also sometimes used as a substitute for chatspeak/"txt tlk".  

chrystalclear

Rinmer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 5:26 pm
Usually it's got quotations around it, like so: "txt talk"
It's a way to mock the use of "txt talk". I know this probably isn't helpful in the least! sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 5:58 pm
Hey, I dare you to try and talk like a "Txt tlker." I can do it really well, not that I used to be one. I always wondered what it meant and why they talked like that, but then it dawned on my that they were just lazy people.

Here's an example of my text talk proficiency, not that I will EVER talk like this... ever.

Hi PeOpLeS!!!!1 WUT U B3N UP TO I B3N FIN. JU5T TRYIN TO GET ROUND U NO? GAIA IS CONFUZIN AND 5TUF SO LIK I HAV NO ID3A WUT I5 GOIN ON ANYWAYZ. THER R 2 MANY FORUM5 N STUF, CANT NAVIGAT ANYMOR. WHY DO P33PZ HAV A GUILD THAT TLK BOUT GRAM3R??!!!!!!11 IT5 TOO CONFUZIN N3WAYZ. 5O NEWAYZ W3 N33D5 2 START A NOT GRAM3R GUILD 5O TAT WE KIN TLK HOW3V3R W3 WANT 2 5S DAT NO ON3 CUD T3L U5 HOW TO TLK. TAT WOOD B3 KOO CUZ W3 CUD TLK YA NO? I MEA AL DA TIME.  

Lord Drago

Dapper Explorer

4,100 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100

Lord Drago

Dapper Explorer

4,100 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 6:00 pm
You gagged, didn't you? Yes. I'm sure you did. That's my txt tlk example, so don't think I talk like that. Oh and txt tlk isn't.... well it is bad grammar but here we're making fun of them, right?  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:13 am
I guess that one could go both ways.

On the signatures, I think it's there because maybe the text-talkers are too dumb to know what it is.
And that IS the name of the language.

But if you get super-technical, I guess it is text talking, because it's spelled out as "txt-tlk".

I don't know.  

x_Chromatic Zelda_x

x_Chromatic Zelda_x

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:25 am
Lord Drago
Hey, I dare you to try and talk like a "Txt tlker." I can do it really well, not that I used to be one. I always wondered what it meant and why they talked like that, but then it dawned on my that they were just lazy people.

Here's an example of my text talk proficiency, not that I will EVER talk like this... ever.

Hi PeOpLeS!!!!1 WUT U B3N UP TO I B3N FIN. JU5T TRYIN TO GET ROUND U NO? GAIA IS CONFUZIN AND 5TUF SO LIK I HAV NO ID3A WUT I5 GOIN ON ANYWAYZ. THER R 2 MANY FORUM5 N STUF, CANT NAVIGAT ANYMOR. WHY DO P33PZ HAV A GUILD THAT TLK BOUT GRAM3R??!!!!!!11 IT5 TOO CONFUZIN N3WAYZ. 5O NEWAYZ W3 N33D5 2 START A NOT GRAM3R GUILD 5O TAT WE KIN TLK HOW3V3R W3 WANT 2 5S DAT NO ON3 CUD T3L U5 HOW TO TLK. TAT WOOD B3 KOO CUZ W3 CUD TLK YA NO? I MEA AL DA TIME.

...I can read that, does that make me bilingual?  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:41 am
Niccea Majeare
What is disgusting?

If you want to be technical 1337 is above txt tlk, because it spells out words correctly...albeit in a funky manner. Still nothing beats good ol' fashioned English.

I meant the fact that illiterate humans use the term with the rest of their jargon.

Lady Fenrys

tfklovr

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 3:48 pm
Hehe yes it is, that's really funny, I never thought of that.  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 5:46 am
I know! I never knew what that meant.

Well, what does "j00b" mean? I've seen it, but I've never figured it out.  

c r o i s

Hygienic Gaian

Trinity Fields

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 3:27 pm
Of course!!  
Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items