Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
English teachers who can't spell. Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

XxJennessaxX

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 12:55 am
I am an English teacher...
I have a leet-speaking student.
I used to have an English teacher who wrote leet. Perhaps Daniel and Mrs. Schwartz are related...?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:20 pm
Back when I was in First Grade, there was this young woman who was applying to become a teacher. The school board decided to let her have her teaching demo using our class as guinea pigs. After all, we were just a bunch of innocent little First Graders, right?

twisted

She was teaching us about singular and plural forms. She wrote:

leaf - leafs

I remember I was in the fourth row of the class. Apparently she didn't see my raised hand - or chose not to notice it. I got tired of waiting and my little innocent mind took control of my body. I marched up to the blackboard, got a piece of chalk, changed leafs into leaves and returned to my chair.

Needless to say the poor woman didn't get hired. I didn't give much importance to the incident until my teacher started raving about it to my parents at a PTA meeting xd  

applecyder

DJ_blak jak

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 5:17 pm
You are not being harsh enough. English teachers who cannot spell or do not take the time and effort to do so should be just... "eliminated"
domokun

(I am probably not allowed to propose some form of slow and painful torture that this really deserve). They have no business teaching this subject. It would be like having a Math teacher who could not add and refused to use at least a calculator to check his work. No, actually it is worse.  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 5:38 pm
DJ_blak jak
You are not being harsh enough. English teachers who cannot spell or do not take the time and effort to do so should be just... "eliminated"
domokun

(I am probably not allowed to propose some form of slow and painful torture that this really deserve). They have no business teaching this subject. It would be like having a Math teacher who could not add and refused to use at least a calculator to check his work. No, actually it is worse.

Not really; math is axiomatic.

But okay!  

The Man who was Thursday

jackthepumpkinhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 6:54 pm
Judas lscariot
DJ_blak jak
domokun

But okay!

yep, without knowing the correct axioms, you will create a flawed proof

And in English, without knowing the basic rules, you will create a flawed essay or story.

Ok, we have crutches to get around it today so its not as difficult for those who don't know the rules (e.g. spell checkers). Also bad spelling doesn't change the message of the essay, although it certainly does affect my viewing of whoever wrote it, and makes me feel the requisite amount of effort has not been put in.

Even so, its sad to think that likely these days there are a lot of students coming out of school who can't spell or write proper sentences, just because they were never taught properly, and not due to some sort of dyslexia.  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 7:02 pm
*grins* When I was little, I corrected all my teacher's spelling errors. Especially when they wrote on the board. I remember in sixth grade, my teacher finally got annoyed and said, "You know, I actually went to college, Ysabel!" I got embarrassed and shut up about any further spelling errors (as much as it pained me to do so). *smiles again* The next day, I didn't correct any of her spelling errors... She acted so off-balance. It wasn't until a classmate nervously rose his hand and corrected her, that we all had a good laugh about it and I went back to being her human spell-check, as usual.  

Zee Zee Top

4,750 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • Person of Interest 200

The Man who was Thursday

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 7:58 pm
jackthepumpkinhead
Judas lscariot
DJ_blak jak
domokun

But okay!

And in English, without knowing the basic rules, you will create a flawed essay or story.

Ok, we have crutches to get around it today so its not as difficult for those who don't know the rules (e.g. spell checkers). Also bad spelling doesn't change the message of the essay, although it certainly does affect my viewing of whoever wrote it, and makes me feel the requisite amount of effort has not been put in.

Even so, its sad to think that likely these days there are a lot of students coming out of school who can't spell or write proper sentences, just because they were never taught properly, and not due to some sort of dyslexia.

Bad grammar does not equate to a bad story/essay.  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 11:06 am
Judas lscariot
jackthepumpkinhead
Judas lscariot
DJ_blak jak
domokun

But okay!

I didn't say "bad" I said "flawed".

I guess it depends how you view it, but I think if I rite a sentans like this, even if my meening is pirfictlee cleer, its stil a floord sentans.  

jackthepumpkinhead

The Man who was Thursday

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 12:46 pm
jackthepumpkinhead
Judas lscariot
jackthepumpkinhead
Judas lscariot
DJ_blak jak
domokun

But okay!

I didn't say "bad" I said "flawed".

I guess it depends how you view it, but I think if I rite a sentans like this, even if my meening is pirfictlee cleer, its stil a floord sentans.

I shall once again cite the great James Joyce:

Quote:
And it's high tigh tigh. Titley hi ti ti. That my dig pressed in your dag si. Gnug of old Gnig. Ni, gnid mig brawly! I bag your burden. Mees is thees knees. Thi is Mi. We have caught oneselves, Sveasmeas, in somes incontigruity coumplegs of heoponhurrish marrage from whose I most sublumbunate. A polog, my engl! Excutes. Om still so sovvy. Whyle om till ti ti.
Ha!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 2:32 pm
My roommate's friend told me of her 8th grade English teacher.

This teacher was convinced that don't was spelled "do'nt" and would take of points if it wasn't spelled "correctly"  

Niccea Majeare

Undertakerfangirl

9,000 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Hygienic 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 3:32 pm
There are two general instances where this happens: first, exposure to poor spelling and grammar over a course of time; second, a degree in education was only a few hours away, so they went for it.

Unfortunately, after several years of having to read the atrocious scribblings of students, teachers become tainted, and cannot always remember the correct form of a word, or the proper structure of a sentence. It gets worse when it goes past sometimes forgetting a rule, and accepting what is common as truth. It is at this point where teachers lose all dignity in their profession, and hopefully seek re-training of their personal knowledge in the subject, or a change in career or retirement.

As for the second case, people like this should be shot for being both lazy and stupid.  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 2:18 pm
I believe its okay to correct a teacher. Otherwise, you will only be allowing them to learn the wrong thing.  

Patron with a Mission

Scurvy the Pirate

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 9:59 am
darkrose_eve
I'm currently a high school senior and my 11th grade teacher often misspelled words. It got me angry because here is a person who is teaching me English and everything and she doesn't take the time to check her spelling! I would understand a regular English teacher but she teaches the honors students for God's sake!

Am I being too harsh or is it well deserved?

I had this exact same problem. That, and English teachers who had thick foreign accents.

This annoys the bejesus out of me. Glad I'm not the only one who gets peeved by this...  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 10:35 pm
darkrose_eve
I'm currently a high school senior and my 11th grade teacher often misspelled words. It got me angry because here is a person who is teaching me English and everything and she doesn't take the time to check her spelling! I would understand a regular English teacher but she teaches the honors students for God's sake!

Am I being too harsh or is it well deserved?

If it was just one or two instances, let it slip. If it was more, well...she was bad at spelling. Remember, all you need to teach high school (even honors) is a bachelors' degree.  

xXblacksakuraXx

xXblacksakuraXx

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 10:37 pm
applecyder
Back when I was in First Grade, there was this young woman who was applying to become a teacher. The school board decided to let her have her teaching demo using our class as guinea pigs. After all, we were just a bunch of innocent little First Graders, right?

twisted

She was teaching us about singular and plural forms. She wrote:

leaf - leafs

I remember I was in the fourth row of the class. Apparently she didn't see my raised hand - or chose not to notice it. I got tired of waiting and my little innocent mind took control of my body. I marched up to the blackboard, got a piece of chalk, changed leafs into leaves and returned to my chair.

Needless to say the poor woman didn't get hired. I didn't give much importance to the incident until my teacher started raving about it to my parents at a PTA meeting xd

P.S. I ABSOLUTELY LOVE THIS.
^>^  
Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas