Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
Type how you speak using dialects? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

[~~Bakky~~]

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 9:43 am
ZuraLasgeon
I'm from Newfoundland, Canada. The way "my people" speak is a little funny. For example "'eh b'y! watta ya at!?" which translated means "Hello there! What are you up to!?" xd I have friends that type like that. I start doing it to play along, because I miss it... being all the way out in Alberta and all. In my speech, I say things like "Where's she to?", which means "Where is she?". However, I type in proper english (or try to, anyway.) I think that it's okay to type in your dialect, as long as you're having a conversation with someone that can understand what you're trying to say. I'm sure a lot of you wouldn't be able to carry out a converstaion with some of my friends. My boyfriend has trouble speaking on the phone with my parents. He has a harder time reading the dialect then hearing, though. I'm his offical translator biggrin
"Stay where you're to and I'll come where you're at." xd  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:58 am
I've written stories in my dialect before. Sometimes, when a dialect doesn't distort the language too much, it's quite all right to use it. But some dialects, like my own, are nearly impossible to understand in writing. Even in speaking, my dialect is confusing to people from a different part of the country. Like, my grandma is from California, so she enunciates her words way more than I do; I sound like a drunken hick the way I slur things together.

Speaking of which, anyone else here use "double contractions," as in "wouldn't've" or "can't've?" If those words even make sense to any of you, I'll be mighty pleased. xd  

Dodger Gunning

Dreaming in the Theatre

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 3:53 am
Eh is really all I have to say.

Personally, I just wouldn't. I mean, it's already technically a WORD and technically, a dialect is just a different way of saying certain words.

So I figure if you're online, just type it the normal way.

In real life, I really can't be bothered to care. >_>;

If it's a story, then yes, I would. But online chat? No.

But it also applies to different languages.

Japanese dialects sometimes sound VERY different and may need to be typed to emphasize a point--again, in a story or such.

For chat, no, I don't think dialects should be typed--unless it's a joke.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 2:22 pm
I think it depends on situation.

In a formal, serious, college-level school essay, I wouldn't recommend it. Most teachers have expectations that the essay they grade will be actual English in all it's proper glory. Unless, of course, they say otherwise.

In everyday situations, I don't see why it would be bad.  

Patron with a Mission

l3viathan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:20 am
I sometimes type the way I speak, and a lot of times, I do that unintentionally. I'm from NJ so I speak bit bit differently in real life. Such as, we tend to talk fast and chop off/up our words, as well as mesh words together in our speech, if that makes any sense. I was born here and lived here my whole life, so I do it unintentionally.

For an example: That was ********' awesome. Are we gonna go there again?

Bad example, I know. I cannot really think of any good ones right now. XD It's kinda hard to think of it instead of letting it flow naturally, if you know what I mean.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:37 am
It depends on who you're talking to.
I, personally, rarely ever use it (If ever..) in Forums.
ESPECIALLY in literate Threads and Guilds.
But when I'm using Messenger with my friend, or I'm in Towns, it's alot easier to put "I dunno" rather than "I don't know".
Call me lazy, but it's true.
><#

Emilem

Quotable Dabbler

6,650 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Generous 100
  • Big Tipper 100

Shikaeii

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 2:45 am
Well... I talk really fast xp so then I leave out a lot of letters. when I'm actually speaking to someone...

And for some reason, I swear with a very British accent.. although I'm not British... I'm not even an english person! sweatdrop

When it comes to typing, it's VERRRY different... Proper spelling surprised

Speaking to someone: Y'know, i's acsh'lly good ter hea you saee thad.

eek If you typed in dialects, then it would be very hard... especially if you talk like I do confused  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:35 pm
I don't particularly like to see colloquialisms or dialectical pronunciations in written word, but they can help to create an ethnic image of a character if used in narrative. Online, it's mostly just annoying.

Of course, I have a very neutral accent, so I don't have much motivation to add it to my rhetoric, anyway. confused  

Bug Q Dlestra

Organic Shadows

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:18 pm
It /is/ easier to just type "I dunno" than "I don't know," but it's just obnoxious when people type (or even talk) with cut-off words like "real" instead of "really." I don't understand it.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:21 am
I'll say y'all on occasion, but not that often. Hm... Um... Wha? I use those too. I gotta stop using gotta when I type. That kind of thing.

If I started typing like I talk, there would be made-up words everywhere that no one understands. Some words would be in foreign languages... well, mostly the curse words. I also get confused at what I'm trying to say and stare off into space for awhile, which is hard to show on-screen.  

MyOwnBestCritic

Dapper Dabbler

ImaginationRunningWild

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 6:51 pm
Marcus McFlufferson
Ya'll. Correction: Y'all.
Quote:

Thank you! When people write/type "y'all" as "ya'll," it drives me up the wall! You don't say "ya" and then add a little "llllll" at the end! It's just a contraction, really, of "you" and "all." Therefore, "y'all."

That's the end of my rant on y'all. 3nodding

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 3:32 pm
Dodger Gunning
I've written stories in my dialect before. Sometimes, when a dialect doesn't distort the language too much, it's quite all right to use it. But some dialects, like my own, are nearly impossible to understand in writing. Even in speaking, my dialect is confusing to people from a different part of the country. Like, my grandma is from California, so she enunciates her words way more than I do; I sound like a drunken hick the way I slur things together.

Speaking of which, anyone else here use "double contractions," as in "wouldn't've" or "can't've?" If those words even make sense to any of you, I'll be mighty pleased. xd

Hellya, I use 'em all the time! (In speaking, anyway)  

Doppelgaanger

7,350 Points
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Mark Twain 100

Beautrix

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 3:44 am
Nah, there's nothin' wrong with it. I do it all the time. :3

Although, it takes much longer when I try to do it. O_O;  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 6:51 pm
Doppelgaanger
Dodger Gunning

Hellya, I use 'em all the time! (In speaking, anyway)

I use those. Apparently, when I was little, I made up my own double contraction: I'mn't. I-am-not. Teehee...  

Shiyiya

iJazzy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 5:29 pm
I think it would be improper because it's still not correct. But actually talking to people using slang and stuff is pretty much alright. 3nodding  
Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff