Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
Aren't English teachers supposed to spell well? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Wow.
  :Shock:
  -cough-
  Simple mistake...? -hopes-
  Um yeah, that's sad.
View Results

Roy_Mustang_Is_Hot_Stuff

Eloquent Elder

12,800 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Threadmaster 200
  • Megathread 100
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 1:48 pm
The way English teachers are trained now tends to leave out some of the fundamentals. And because there is such a lack of available teachers in this area, the standards are being lowered.

In the school system where I live, the English teachers do not understand proper grammar, spelling and word usage. I was trained differently in an earlier decade without spell check.

I had to seriously edit research papers before my kids turned them in. Their teachers didn't catch or correct the word usage or grammar errors.

I also have to agree with not reacting disrespectfully to any teachers and to kindly be careful and tactful when privately correcting them. They do have considerable power over your future in spite of any flaws.  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 2:28 pm
IlianaRodriguez
Not necessarily, I know. My point is that I've corrected my English teacher twice! On Lightning (spelled lightening) and on another word...that I seem to have forgotten.
On a different subject, I write in a notebook with my two friends and one is fully literate. However, my other friend is very illiterate crying and also cannot spell "again".

My english teacher is the same way, so I can have sympathy for you. She misspells alot of words and she quite often mispronounces words that a 6th grader should of been able to breeze through on the first try. It is very annyoing because she constantly gets onto us for misspelling when she does it, its very hypocritical.  

Resplendent Eclipse

Daerrhie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 3:40 am
I feel your pain.

In my school, which supposedly has higher standards because of its name and because of being a private school. I'm in High 1, and the year before, my teachers kept on nagging us about high school having higher standards. If it's like that, shouldn't it be the same way with the teachers?

I was shocked at my English teacher, who not only mutiliated the language with her grossly erroneous pronounciation (eg. verb and verbs='verf' and 'verves'), but also with her bad grammar and hypocrisy. No words can describe the feeling I have whenever English is the next subject.

She corrects us whenever we make mistakes, but doesn't mind it when she makes mistakes. When your being the example, you can't make so many mistakes and teach others to do so as well. I know that everyone makes mistakes, and I don't mind it when a teacher makes the occasional error. But she's already made countless of mistakes on the blackboard and already lost the respect of my class.

This was a recent one she made:
Quote:
What were the achievements, disappointments, realizations did you experience during the schoolyear?

It's so sad, really.  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 7:27 am
As long as they try and make an attempt. I can't stand when words are spelled completely different and it changes the meaning of the sentence. May god have mercy on the poor n00bs soul! :=  

t3hc003st

Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces