Welcome to Gaia! ::

Craftin' - A sewing, knitting and glue kind of place.

Back to Guilds

Reply Craftin'
Bridal Sewing? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Do you have wedding craft ideas?
  Yes, and I'll share!
  Yes, but I'm not telling!
  No, I just want gold.
View Results

gemini6184

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 7:31 am
Neyahala
Gemi that's some awesome advice, why haven't you been telling me all this stuff! rofl

i might have missed this, but are you going to have a theme to your wedding?
well you never asked blaugh  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 2:44 pm
And I never told! sweatdrop

We're going to have a semi-formal outdoor wedding. (Semi-formal = My gown will either just brush the floor or reach my ankles, no train; My fiance will wear a navy blue suit with a tie.) We don't have a site or date yet, but we're seriously considering a botanical garden area near both our parents' homes. We're still debating whether we want an indoor or outdoor reception.

Other things:
-He's Roman Catholic and I'm Southern Baptist - we want to have a "mixed marriage" (ie, we don't like the idea of having to choose one faith over the other, hence the outdoor setting on what he calls "theologically neutral grounds")
-I can sew, crochet, knit, cross-stitch, and work a hot glue gun
-We chose blue as our theme color (for the bridesmaid dresses, etc)
-If possible, I want to try to make something to go with his suit, even if I just end up knitting him a pair of socks.

I love all of these ideas! Keep them coming!  

Brunette_Star

Blue-eyes-green

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:05 pm
I'm currently sewing one of my best friend's wedding gown. She has an unusual figure, and couldn't find any dresses that wouldn't make her look terrible, so it was a "Please?" and how can you say no.
The dress I'm making is Renaissance style (more or less). My suggestions- get someone who knows what they're doing to take your measurements for you. Meassuring yourself is a nightmare. Another suggestion- after you find a pattern you like, make a mock up in muslin in order to see how it fits, and if you need to do alterations (we're shortening the sleeves, and messing with the chest meaurements). And finally- make sure you go to a really good fabric store to find your real material- from experience, there's nothing more frustrating than limited fabric choice.  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 2:00 pm
I have a pattern for a knitted wedding garter. If you want to make it, I can type it up for you.  

ladyleprechaun13

Silver Mist

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 8:42 am
For him, have you considered making a pin for his lapels? Or maybe his tie?  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 7:10 pm
Brunette_Star
He proposed last night and I said yes! heart We're planning on a long engagement - ie, the wedding will likely be next spring or summer.

So part of me is thinking of sewing my own wedding dress - I'll likely buy the bridesmaids' dresses. (We're having a semiformal outdoor wedding, so I'd probably make a short-sleeved gown with no train)

Has anyone ever sewn a bridal dress before? Any pointers?

actuall i'm in the same situation... i got engaged on 2/15 and were having a long engagement has anyone taken on a wedding dress before? pointers?btw congrats on your engagement.  

peachkitten

peachkitten

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 7:13 pm
has anyone ever tie dyed a tux shirt before? my fiance wants one for my wedding.  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 7:27 pm
peachkitten
has anyone ever tie dyed a tux shirt before? my fiance wants one for my wedding.
you can rent them in different colors sweatdrop best not to take chances with that kind of thing i'd say.  

gemini6184

peachkitten

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:28 pm
hmmm... thats good to know that you can rent colored shirts. he so set on this tie dyed shirt so maybe i'll do a trial run on the tie dye and hope it works out. but thats a good backup plan, thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:39 pm
for the dress,(bride) do you intend to put any design like embroidery or beading and the like? swarovski made this heat gun that sticks crystals( real not the plastic crap) onto fabrics. i hvent tried it yet but i'm doint that for my wedding dress. test it on scrap fabric to get the feel of it and see if you want that on your dress. the other two suggestions i'd say read up in books and the net to learn how, you seem to have alot of time so why not practise wile you can. if i have more info i'll let you know. feel free to ask me.

Brunette_Star
And I never told! sweatdrop

We're going to have a semi-formal outdoor wedding. (Semi-formal = My gown will either just brush the floor or reach my ankles, no train; My fiance will wear a navy blue suit with a tie.) We don't have a site or date yet, but we're seriously considering a botanical garden area near both our parents' homes. We're still debating whether we want an indoor or outdoor reception.

Other things:
-He's Roman Catholic and I'm Southern Baptist - we want to have a "mixed marriage" (ie, we don't like the idea of having to choose one faith over the other, hence the outdoor setting on what he calls "theologically neutral grounds")
-I can sew, crochet, knit, cross-stitch, and work a hot glue gun
-We chose blue as our theme color (for the bridesmaid dresses, etc)
-If possible, I want to try to make something to go with his suit, even if I just end up knitting him a pair of socks.

I love all of these ideas! Keep them coming!

peachkitten

Smillaaraq

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:27 am
peachkitten
actuall i'm in the same situation... i got engaged on 2/15 and were having a long engagement has anyone taken on a wedding dress before? pointers?btw congrats on your engagement.

Congrats!

I've done a few bridal gowns and formals/historical costuming in somewhat similar styles and fabrics. Off the top of my head, a few big hints --

- If you're not used to making stuff that's quite so fitted, it is a very very good idea to make a fitting muslin of some cheapy fabric first, so you can work out any necessary alterations before you cut into your expensive good fabric.

- If you're working on slippery stuff like satin, a walking foot or a machine with a built-in dual feed (like Pfaffs) are a HUGE help in keeping stuff from creeping around all over the place

- Make sure to use very very sharp, extra-fine pins and fresh needles in the appropriate style and weight for your fabric -- when you're spending a lot of money on really nice, delicate fabrics, you don't want to wind up with snags because you tried to save an extra dollar or two by cheaping out on pins or putting off needle changes.

- When you're doing the fittings or hemming the dress, wear shoes and undies in the same style, heel height, etc. you're planning to wear for the wedding.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:52 am
Silver Mist
For him, have you considered making a pin for his lapels? Or maybe his tie?

Ooh, maybe I could make his lapel flower! He's actually going to throw his lapel instead of a garter - neither of us are really comfortable with him taking a garter off of me and flinging it to single guys to put on someone else. (Especially since my 14-year-old godsister is going to be a bridesmaid!)

After seeing the price of bridal satin, I think I'm just going to buy the dress. But there's nothing saying I can't add some pearls or a few embellises to it!  

Brunette_Star

Fionamule

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 1:58 pm
there are so many things you can diy for weddings.
I'm making my own dress as well and am also knitting presents for my mil and my mom. For my bmaids I am making necklaces for them to wear.
if you know how to knit you should check out the new book by suss. its called something like wedding knits. there are really great gift ideas in it.  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:36 pm
thanks for the tips! since its a long engagement i have time to practise.
Smillaaraq
peachkitten

Congrats!

I've done a few bridal gowns and formals/historical costuming in somewhat similar styles and fabrics. Off the top of my head, a few big hints --

- If you're not used to making stuff that's quite so fitted, it is a very very good idea to make a fitting muslin of some cheapy fabric first, so you can work out any necessary alterations before you cut into your expensive good fabric.

- If you're working on slippery stuff like satin, a walking foot or a machine with a built-in dual feed (like Pfaffs) are a HUGE help in keeping stuff from creeping around all over the place

- Make sure to use very very sharp, extra-fine pins and fresh needles in the appropriate style and weight for your fabric -- when you're spending a lot of money on really nice, delicate fabrics, you don't want to wind up with snags because you tried to save an extra dollar or two by cheaping out on pins or putting off needle changes.

- When you're doing the fittings or hemming the dress, wear shoes and undies in the same style, heel height, etc. you're planning to wear for the wedding.
heart  

peachkitten

rosesylace

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:41 pm
Congratulations!!!! I don't sew dresses, but I did make all the floral arrangements for my son's wedding. We also made chocolates, butter mints (using molds), and food items. I do have ideas for table top center pieces if you want them. I also know where to get an aisle cloth if you need one.  
Craftin'

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff