Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
It is English--not math. Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

applecyder

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 9:21 am
I remember when I was in first grade our teacher told us to write a 2-3 paragraph composition about our vacation. One classmate, who happened to be a guy I hated, kept on writing in slang. He substituted 'cuz' for 'because' and '4' instead of 'for'. The teacher told him off. What a joyous moment in my young evil mind twisted  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 10:17 am
I had to do something like that in English, too. I'm originally from The Netherlands, but I still sometimes use cos, in stead of because. I think it's not wrong, since it was actually in my English book from school. I might be totally wrong of course.  

Demantia

Patron with a Mission

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 11:09 am
Question: Is it okay to substitute numbers for words in terms of dates and months, such as 2-17-2007, or should it be February 17th, 2007?  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 11:11 am
When I was in school, that kind of thing would definitely have been marked wrong, probably with something like "?!?!?" over it.

We used to get chastised for writing numbers in text as digits, which is grammatically accurate.

So, "I have 4 cats" is grammatically wrong. It has to be "I have four cats".

In a body of text, dates should be written out. So February 17th, 2007 would be the right way.  

jackthepumpkinhead

XxJennessaxX

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 11:20 am
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Your teacher should have deducted points for doing so. I would have. I have deducted marks for a student who did that.  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 12:16 pm
If I had been there, I would have convinced the teacher to fail that person. In my personal experience, people who do that don't understand what English is supposed to be.  

MyOwnBestCritic

Dapper Dabbler

Joss-Box

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 6:06 pm
XxJennessaxX

Your teacher should have deducted points for doing so. I would have. I have deducted marks for a student who did that.

I praise you. You deserve a metal in my eyes.  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 6:09 pm
Joss-Box
XxJennessaxX

I praise you. You deserve a metal in my eyes.

Titanium, even.  

The Man who was Thursday

Patron with a Mission

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 2:04 pm
jackthepumpkinhead
When I was in school, that kind of thing would definitely have been marked wrong, probably with something like "?!?!?" over it.

We used to get chastised for writing numbers in text as digits, which is grammatically accurate.

So, "I have 4 cats" is grammatically wrong. It has to be "I have four cats".

In a body of text, dates should be written out. So February 17th, 2007 would be the right way.

Thank you. ^.^ I have been wondering about that for quiet a while, as I am a tutor for others, and I kept saying that this was correct but I wasn't sure. Thanks again for helping me.  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:43 pm
Marcus McFlufferson
When I was in high school, we had one English tutor.
I remember, she read a story that a student wrote, and the student had put text talk in. Numbers, 'U' etc.

She tore it up in front of the student and told her to re-write it in proper English.

I will forever praise that tutor.

So cruel, yet so right! I'll wager that student never wrote another paper in that form again!  

Amaya84

Khale Demos

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:41 pm
Marcus McFlufferson
I remember, she read a story that a student wrote, and the student had put text talk in. Numbers, 'U' etc.

She tore it up in front of the student and told her to re-write it in proper English.

Although it may have enraged the student, I would have done this as well.  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:45 pm
applecyder
I remember when I was in first grade our teacher told us to write a 2-3 paragraph composition about our vacation. One classmate, who happened to be a guy I hated, kept on writing in slang. He substituted 'cuz' for 'because' and '4' instead of 'for'. The teacher told him off. What a joyous moment in my young evil mind twisted

I agree maybe for a higher level student, but... For first grade don't you think that's a bit rough?  

Khale Demos

Starry Phoenix

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 2:08 pm
Its better to start early. So it is probably good that it happend then. For me i diddnt even know that numbers below 10 are spelled out, until 11 grade! Now I am in the 12th grade. biggrin

My English teacher is a true professional! xd  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 3:11 pm
Marcus McFlufferson

My teacher would sooo do that too lol and I'd laugh watching him do it too. By the way sick drawing of your avi!!  

Mrkurosakie

ch4nel

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 3:54 pm
I agree. Other things bother me too. Today we did a peer's check; just like you did. Some girl said:

"For the past 13 years of my life it had my ups and it downs. just like a fire. when i was 2, grandpa died."

I had to read it about 5 times to understand it. I think it was even more mest up then that. Of course the teacher didn't let me mark off points. I have no idea why.

Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff