Welcome to Gaia! ::

Reply Sacred Sources -The Outer Forum -
Plamen Oren, my pagan story, has been published. Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Goddess Hekate
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 1:20 pm
Archtypical charcter = No individual personality, nothing that makes the character a truely living breathing personality.

It's more like you dump a person into a pool of natriumhydroxide and then pick what's left up and put it in you book.

Comedia de l'arte is a perfect example of Archtypes instead of individuals.
As soon as the character becomes individual and differs from others in the archtype it's not a complete archtype.

Of course there exists archtypical charcters: The hero/Heroine, Mentor etc. but as soon as they have something else than that description about them, they aren't archtypes anymore.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 6:31 am
Yeah, its sad but I've found video games that do charactgerization better than some books do. I need to phone Oprah and have her put my book on her book of the month club lol.  

Christina Prince

Goddess Hekate
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 7:03 am
Christina Prince
Yeah, its sad but I've found video games that do charactgerization better than some books do. I need to phone Oprah and have her put my book on her book of the month club lol.

One word to the video game part: Ouch.  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 10:55 am
Seropisly though. Most RPG games do a better job of character -driven plots than some books do. Eternal Darkness being one "off the top of my head" example. Sure the plot will almost always be dominant in video games but I think its sad when book are on that same level without breaking free of the plot-driven ness.  

Christina Prince

Nihilistic Seraph
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 2:07 pm
I think we need to find a distinction here between two-dimensional characters and archetypes - they're two quite different things.  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 12:42 pm
Ok I don't know if this helps but this is what dictionary.com had to say:

1. the original pattern or model from which all things of the same kind are copied or on which they are based; a model or first form; prototype.
2. (in Jungian psychology) a collectively inherited unconscious idea, pattern of thought, image, etc., universally present in individual psyches.

I think I like number 2 O-o.  

Christina Prince

Nihilistic Seraph
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 2:08 pm
Jung is cool, it was his version I was using 3nodding  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 6:03 pm
As much as I love his concept (and I shall read more on it) I don't think its the usual concept applied to lliterature.  

Christina Prince

Nihilistic Seraph
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 9:03 am
It could, it would just need to be applied in just the right way. I've got it sort of going with one of my stories.  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:31 am
Well then lets say it's not academia's (spelling?) take on the word, at least in the mainstream sence. Lets say I tried to avoid it as much as possible with this novel, while I'm sure I failed in some people's eyes (having two spirits working together to help the main character in his journey. One of which is a pagan "grand-fey" named Mabel *coughcough*lookatthefirstthreeletters*cough* razz  

Christina Prince

Nihilistic Seraph
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 12:13 pm
Is Queen Mab originally Shelley's creation, or did he take it from somewhere else?

On the subject of archetypes, I'm actually reading a book now that uses archetypes. Passion of the New Eve by Angela Carter. It's so wonderful, I love her stuff heart  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 4:08 pm
Nooo, Mab comes from the irish godess "Medb" and Queen Mab is mentioned in one of Mercutio's speaches in Romeo and Juliet. so she's been around a good long time.  

Christina Prince

Nihilistic Seraph
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 10:51 am
Okay, cool 3nodding  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 2:54 pm
I want to marry your signature *ANYWAY* I did a LOT of research for this book, nothing is haphazard. I'd never put in someone like Mab unless I was SURE she was from actual lore and not a contemporary work. To give some perspective, The story takes place in gaul/slavic area, its really not pegged to any one place. I did reaserch on what kind of animals are indeginous to that area at that time (pre history) what plants are there, what kind of intercultural interaction could there be at that time, what kind of custums do people form those areas have, what kind of alchohol do they drink, what do they wear....the list goes on forever...and I bet no one will apreciate this.

My roomate says I could have had them eating corn, pumpkin, and bison while drinking Cacao and no one would have noticed xd  

Christina Prince

Nihilistic Seraph
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 4:08 pm
Christina Prince
I want to marry your signature *ANYWAY* I did a LOT of research for this book, nothing is haphazard. I'd never put in someone like Mab unless I was SURE she was from actual lore and not a contemporary work. To give some perspective, The story takes place in gaul/slavic area, its really not pegged to any one place. I did reaserch on what kind of animals are indeginous to that area at that time (pre history) what plants are there, what kind of intercultural interaction could there be at that time, what kind of custums do people form those areas have, what kind of alchohol do they drink, what do they wear....the list goes on forever...and I bet no one will apreciate this.

My roomate says I could have had them eating corn, pumpkin, and bison while drinking Cacao and no one would have noticed xd
Which part of my signature, it tends to shift around a bit... xp

I think it adds to it. You'll never know when people will have actual knowledge of the culture.

I get lucky in one of my stories in that it takes place in dreams, so the challenge lies more in figuring out how people would shape themselves, how their various aspects would come out.  
Sacred Sources -The Outer Forum -

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff