Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
"Gay" Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

[yin~yang]

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 3:43 pm
I personally don't care about anyone saying the word "gay"... I'm bi myself, and I use it all the time... If we really wanted to stop people from saying gay, we would have to stop people saying "that's retarded" too, because then it would insult the "mentally challenged" people.

I say let the world be, because changing just one phrase would give way to a landslide of other changes, and then it would be too hard to remember what you can say and can't say...

And because I'm lazy like that xD...  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 6:49 pm
Niggah, please. talk2hand

I feel extremely offended by all the users claiming that everyone who uses the word 'gay' to describe something in a negative way are retarded ********. I've gone through being straight, bi, gay and now pansexual and I've never felt any irritation towards people using the word 'gay' in a negative way, something I so frequently do myself. My hair is naturally blonde, yet I don't get all high and mighty when someone says a blonde-joke. I say them myself and always have (even though they're actually really gay), I don't get offended when people say that all people with glasses are retarded geeks.

I personally know that being gay is natural, being retarded is also natural, blondes have more fun and having glasses is hardcore. cool

ljosberinn

Gachetemas

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:21 pm
When I insult people in chat rooms, I always call them elements. They usually have no idea. So it's really fun and I frequently do it without provocation.

"Gallium Yttrium. Fluoride Silver. Arsenic Sulfur Fluoride Uranium Carbon Potassium Erbium."

Stuff like that.  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 1:19 am
[quote="[yin~yang]If we really wanted to stop people from saying gay, we would have to stop people saying "that's retarded" too, because then it would insult the "mentally challenged" people.
Some people really try do that. When I was in year 12 (last year), my maths teacher kept telling one of my classmates not to call things "gay" or "retarded". (I had a classmate who used those words frequently.)  

The MoUsY spell-checker

Ame Yuki Kaze

Clean Seeker

4,100 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 11:27 am
"Gay" is just a word. Yes, I do say that things I don't like "suck" or "are gay". That's all I mean. It's not some veiled attack on homosexuals; I just happen to use those phrases because that's how we talked when I was in high school.

I refuse to change my lexicon for the sake of political correctness.
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 11:57 am
yeah, I'm not gay either but it bothers me when people say the word like it's offensive  

DOC oSPADEo

8,350 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Mark Twain 100

KoshiDoragon

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 8:18 pm
I remember entering a thread similar to this two years ago...

>< But yeah, it raised a lot of questions within this guild. Like, so many people came up with other words that were often used in incorrect contexts. I've forgotten them, but I'll never forget the impact it gave to our members =D it was a great wake up call -- and so is this one.

However:

I agree with Yami no Hitokiri though, it is true that due to our contemporary society, a lot of incorrect phrases have been used colloquially. Like, "Oh my God" is used by so many unreligious people, simply as a figure of speech...

[I'm back, by the way... after like, a year of "AFK"? ^^;]  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 12:20 pm
Marcus McFlufferson
I say it, spelling it Gai on Forums and IM.
I'll say things are bent, too.
Meaning that something isn't right.

It's just a word. I don't mean it as everything that is gay is wrong.

I believe the last terms I used them in were..

"I'm gonna' have to restart, the camera is being bent again."
And
"I can't get Sky One anymore, Sky are being gai and turned all their channels off from Virgin."

OHFUN.

I find it more annoying when people say "alot", which I've already seen two people in this thread do. I also saw one that didn't capitalise her I's. *Glares*

I'd say it's ok to say "that's gay" as long as you're tolerant of actual homosexuals, because if you're not, than it's going to turn out immensely offensive, etc. I dislike intolerant people. My biggest pet peeve is as you've stated people who can't capitalise their I's, and say "alot" instead of "a lot" 2 WORDS PEOPLE!! 2 WORDS!  

Mrkurosakie

Skibi

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 2:41 pm
My biggest pet peeve is people who get offended for other people.

I am not a politically correct person. I never have been. I will use every racial slur in the book, should I feel the need to.

Yet I am not a bigot.

I say those words because to me, they are simply that: words. Those who get offended by those words are only giving power to them. Many, many people understand this. I will say whatever I want to say. If I should happen to say, "That's so gay!" and a person of the homosexual persuasion expresses displeasure, I will apologize and refrain from doing so in that person's presence. But if I say "That's so gay!" and a straight person gets in a huff because of it because it might offend any hypothetical gays in earshot, that irritates me. If they're offended, they can damn well say so. They don't need you being their Knight in Shining Armor because you're way too gung-ho about political correctness.

So all those who say things like, "all ppl hu say 'gay' in a bad sence shud be shotted!" are no better than the people who actually use the terms in a negative fashion.

What, because you're being oppressive for a "good cause," you're not still being oppressive?  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 7:39 pm
applecyder
I use the expression, 'That's so gay,' sometimes.

I used it in front of a friend, whom I thought was just effeminate and not gay, and he seemed to be uncomfortable with it. So I never said that again when he was around. Although the pink Japanese paper parasol that I was describing was most definitely gay... xp

My other gay friends, on the other hand, throw it around when playfully insulting each other. Instead of saying 'hey' they say, 'Hey f**!' Or instead of saying, 'You b!tch!,' they say, 'You f**!'

sweatdrop

I guess they're totally fine with that.

I really like your small logo square. It speaks to me. x']  

WateryGrave

Lonely Rogue

7,300 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Generous 100

Lady Pica

Salty Wench

8,975 Points
  • Beta Explorer 0
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 9:01 pm
I tend not to say things are "gay" unless I mean happy, for the simple fact I know a few homosexuals, and some of the are not very effeminate. "Frou frou" is such a better term for things. sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 2:45 am
I write songs when I'm bored, and I found using 'gay' in the context of 'happy' actually adds to it substantially.  

MadnessFreak

TangoMango

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 1:54 pm
I have to admit, I say, "That's gay." a lot. Mainly as a replacement for, "That's stupid."
Oh well... I'm not against gay people either. I have two gay guys friends - they're great. ^^  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:36 pm
I'm gay (homosexual), and I don't mind anyone saying it. Just don't say it too much, or say it at awkard moments. 3nodding  

Ford Farmer

DarkElf27

Familiar Guildsman

11,250 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:47 pm
MadnessFreak
I write songs when I'm bored, and I found using 'gay' in the context of 'happy' actually adds to it substantially.

"So pretty, and witty, and GAAAAAAAAY!!!"

Sorry, I couldn't help myself. xd  
Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas