Want Gold?
  Yes, please
View Results

Nihilistic Seraph
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 5:51 pm
The Bookwyrm
nightdove
But he's not even Christain, he's Catholic, and not that religious at all!

Hun, Catholics are Christians. They were the only branch of Christianity until the Protestant Reformation.
Quick note, but before the Protestants came onto the scene you had the Catholics and wha we now see as the Greek Orthdox. I think they mainly differed on the point of whether or not Jesus has the same status as the Father, or was created after.  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:04 am
Nihilistic Seraph
The Bookwyrm
nightdove
But he's not even Christain, he's Catholic, and not that religious at all!

Hun, Catholics are Christians. They were the only branch of Christianity until the Protestant Reformation.
Quick note, but before the Protestants came onto the scene you had the Catholics and wha we now see as the Greek Orthdox. I think they mainly differed on the point of whether or not Jesus has the same status as the Father, or was created after.

There's that but there are other things too. Like their stance on the pope. The involvement of saints in holy days and worship is another variable. I think one of the bigger ones involves what are viewed as sins and the importance of confession.  

blindfaith^_^

7,200 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Tycoon 200

EvilKittenOfDeath

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 5:50 pm
yeah one of the main differences was that the catholics believed that you had to repent through confession to a clergy man the others believed you could confess through solitary prayer...or something like that.  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:21 pm
DanielsLover69
yeah one of the main differences was that the catholics believed that you had to repent through confession to a clergy man the others believed you could confess through solitary prayer...or something like that.
I think that was more the Protestant split - I think the Greek Orthodoxes still have priests.

But, I could easily be wrong.  

Nihilistic Seraph
Vice Captain

blindfaith^_^

7,200 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 4:51 pm
Nihilistic Seraph
DanielsLover69
I think that was more the Protestant split - I think the Greek Orthodoxes still have priests.

But, I could easily be wrong.

Agreed. The Greek Orthodox split from the Catholic church was mainly political in nature, so the doctrine is the same and the two faithes acknowledge each other as basically interchangable in sermons.

The big deal is that pope is the head of command in Catholism and Greek Orthodox has some one else in a pope equivilant...though they usually reccognize the pope's decrees.

Also before Vatican 2 Greek Orthodox was allowing people to partake in both the body and blood of Christ, where that was new for Catholics after Vatican 2 (just priests drank Jesus' blood before that during mass).  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 3:40 pm
My mom is like that too. She's constantly trying to make this point that Christianity is better and more 'wholesome' then Paganism in this 'secretive' and snobbish way that pisses me off so badly. She hates that I'm not a Christian, and she hates basically everything else about me as well. (aka: I'm gay and I'm a goth.) Which definitely makes living at my house and being near her hell.  

deathcomes_onsilentwings

Friagne The Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 2:02 pm
Well i normally tell people on a need to know basis, my parents suspect it but they aren't trying to 'save' me like in the movie Saved.  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 6:41 am
I didn't really have a problem with my mom, when she first asked if I was a witch and I said yes she said ok. A few years later she asked again and when I said yes again she tried telling me I wasn't but soon accepted it. I guess she thought it was just a teenage phase. I have been pagan for nearly 10 years now and don't have a problem telling people that I am. However that doesn't me I'm not causious around those people I know are very religious and might not understand my religion choice.

I also do go to church again but I have found one that accepts me and my beliefs. I go to a Unitarian Universalist church, which accepts and honors all religions. I like going to church because it allows me to worship, socialize and share the feeling of being close to my gods with others. I grew up Baptist and when I went thruogh a difficult time in my young life, I say young because I was about 12 when we moved to a new town, my mom divorsed the only father I really knew, and I had to face the ridicule of not being accepted by my peers, it didn't help. I remember being depressed, not suicidal but depressed, and not being truly happy until I started looking into paganism.

Sorry about geting off topic there but I thought you should know where I was coming from. I'm sorry about your uncle but he probably just needs a little time. I suggest you give him a few weeks to cool off then try to talk to him and explain your choice. However don't ignore what he is saying either. Giving the closeness of your relationship he might have been hurt about not only being told the way you told him but also not being the one you went to when you first stated researching paganism.

Also don't count out the christian college. I personally didn't go to one but that's because it didn't have the things I was looking for. However both my sister and my best friend's sister went to one and neither are religious. They went because the school had the programs they were looking for. All I'm saying is don't atomatically discount a school or even going to church just becuse you're pagan.  

Ayla Skye

MollyFu

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 1:46 pm
Instead of telling him that you didn't think he was one of those people, you should have let him know that Pagans consist of over 2000 religions world-wide and some of them are will older than christianity. Most people don't realize that. It is rather difficult for all of us to "come out of the broom closet" so to speak. It also won't end there. My mother-in-law still has a problem with me...she doesn't even know what my religion is...only that I'm not a christian. You will always find reasons that you have to defend your religion and your right to have a different one than everything else. The only real answer is in knowledge. The more you know about the history and theology of your own religion the better armed you will be to take on anyone that wants to challenge you.

Good luck and know that you're not alone in this fight.  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 11:53 pm
Referring back to the first post only, first of all, Catholics ARE Christians.

I hate it when anybody says they aren't.

Catholicism was the first Christian church. All others branched out from that. So yes, your family IS Christian.

Second, to you saying that bit about "throwing religion out the window."

What do you think Paganism is? A hobby?

Paganism IS a religion. Just like any other.

Also, are you Pagan, or are you Wiccan? There is a difference. So handing your uncle the book "When Someone You Love Is Wiccan" is kind of odd if you are Pagan.

To the point, perhaps you should have not bashed your uncle's religion? You were upset that he was bashing yours, were you not? So why return the favor?

If you are ever in a situation like this again, you must calmly explain what your religion is about. Never yell, and never bash the opposition's religion. Their religion is just as important to the world as yours.

If they won't hear of it, then you walk away. You can't argue with them. Remember the rule of three.  

swampyface

Sugarrocks

Profitable Lunatic

10,700 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:27 am
People are closed minded because they're afraid of what they don't understand. And Paganism is actually in it's whole sort of hard to grasp for people who come from a compleatly different way of thinking.

As annoying as it is to explain it to people on a daily basis I think that once your uncle calms down that's exactly what you have to do. And do yourself a favor by starting with the best aspects and workingyour way to the complicated stuff once he understands it a bit better.  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:04 pm
swampyface

If they won't hear of it, then you walk away. You can't argue with them. Remember the rule of three.

Wait a minute, your rede says that you can't argue? Man, I'm glad I'm not Wiccan! I like to be able to defend my views and question others! Arguments and debates can lead to a lot of understanding and at least make people think of their points in different ways.

My two cents on the issue: Some people may not be accepting of your faith. Sad, but true. For now I think you should just not discuss it with your uncle anymore. You should be prepared to defend your views if they are crticized or questioned though.  

iolitefire

Curiously Fruity

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:09 am
Starlock
If you're a good person (ie, don't smoke, drink, get good grades, have a job you work hard at)

So, you can't be a good person if you smoke, drink, get less than desireable grades and tend to slack off a little on the job? I disagree.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:12 am
swampyface
Referring back to the first post only, first of all, Catholics ARE Christians.

I hate it when anybody says they aren't.

Catholicism was the first Christian church. All others branched out from that. So yes, your family IS Christian.

Second, to you saying that bit about "throwing religion out the window."

What do you think Paganism is? A hobby?

Paganism IS a religion. Just like any other.

Also, are you Pagan, or are you Wiccan? There is a difference. So handing your uncle the book "When Someone You Love Is Wiccan" is kind of odd if you are Pagan.

To the point, perhaps you should have not bashed your uncle's religion? You were upset that he was bashing yours, were you not? So why return the favor?

If you are ever in a situation like this again, you must calmly explain what your religion is about. Never yell, and never bash the opposition's religion. Their religion is just as important to the world as yours.

Paganism it self is a pretty general term in itself. Wiccan is included in that general term. So, she could call her self a pagan without disclosing her particular faith. It's like calling your self a Christian, there are several different denominations of that faith too.  

Curiously Fruity

Curiously Fruity

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:13 am
Rei Kuchiki
Well i normally tell people on a need to know basis, my parents suspect it but they aren't trying to 'save' me like in the movie Saved.

That's a great movie. ^^  
Sacred Sources -The Outer Forum -

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces