Welcome to Gaia! ::

Craftin' - A sewing, knitting and glue kind of place.

Back to Guilds

Reply Craftin'
Craft-Related Injuries, Anyone? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Story From The Stars

2,950 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 11:17 pm
I don't get bad crafting injuries. Besides a huge blister from a set of bamboo dpns(I set my finger on one of the needles, and friction on the wood made a blister) and the constant tired muscles and hand cramps from knitting/crochet I haven't hurt mysel much.
Now cooking on the other hand, that's dangerous. Almost every bad injury I've ever had was from cooking.
Of course when I was about 5/6/7 I fell hands first into a camp fire, and I think it messed with some nerves, because it takes longer than it should for my hands to feel hot when burned. Which probably explains why I get burned so easily.
And a crochet hook in your hand? OUCH! I'm guess that was a pain to get out. You'd get either the hook or the thumb rest and both would HURT. eek  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 9:02 pm
I had a similar injury with the first post. I was sewing one day on my mothers bed and stuck the needle I was using for "safe keeping" on the bed. Later on at night I went to say goodnight to her. I used my right leg to hoist myself onto the bed and had the butt of the needle jam it's self into my knee... I don't remember it hurting at all, but I do remember it took a while to get it out. I also have a scar on my lower back from sitting next to a plugged in iron. Currently, I have major hand cramps from knitting and crocheting. It sucks when I go to write and my hand starts to shake uncontrollably.
sad  

ro-zumari-

Silvander

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:09 pm
I've never burned myself with a regular iron, but my mom's curling iron fell off it's wall hanger and burned my arm in highschool. I still have that lovely scar.

Hot glue is your friend, we swear. I used to enjoy burning myself with it.

The funniest craft related injury I've ever seen happened just the other day. I was knitting a condom (check out the anticraft site, I saw it and couldn't resist) and set my dpns on the bed for a minute to get a drink. I saw my dog go in my room as I headed down the hall, the next thing i know, he's yelping and running out of my room with one of my dpns stuck in his butt. xd I felt so bad for my puppy, but he wasn't stuck too bad.

He won't go anywhere near knitting needles of any kind anymore.  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 1:06 am
Silvander

He won't go anywhere near knitting needles of any kind anymore.

Smart puppy wink

I'm currently trying to finish a scarf, and I've realised I'm only half way done if I want it to be usable. I need to get the rest done in about two days... xp I have tried not to knit too much since my shoulders get really sore, but I think I have to if I want to finish it. I see joint pain in my near future... Stupid rheumatism sad  

Annchen

Sparkly Bibliophile

AspieGirl

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 6:04 pm
I think i have carpal tunnel from the knitting , sewingf, plastic canvas ann internet surfing. i'm going to the doc tomarrow to have it looked at.  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 6:10 pm
texasshojo
I think i have carpal tunnel from the knitting , sewingf, plastic canvas ann internet surfing. i'm going to the doc tomarrow to have it looked at.

hahaha you aren't the only one, but they can't even tell me whether or not it's carpel tunnel...stupid doctor  

Story From The Stars

2,950 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Full closet 200

Story From The Stars

2,950 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 6:11 pm
Silvander
I've never burned myself with a regular iron, but my mom's curling iron fell off it's wall hanger and burned my arm in highschool. I still have that lovely scar.

I have one on my elbow from something similar when I was in elementary school. And I picked at it too, otherwise I dont' think it would've scarred. Stupid me stressed  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 7:45 pm
i think my biggest craft injury was just yesterday. i thought the mini glue gun i had was a cool temp gun. WRONG! when i had to glue rhinstones onto my final project i had on several occasions burned myself. when i'm in pain i tend to badmouth alot and sometimes very loudly. my fiancee was on the phone with his mother at the time. we dont know if she heard me or not.

another injury i had was when i was beading, i had imbedded a metal shard into my palm. it didnt hurt but it was extreamly itchy and it was a b***h to get out.

AWG! just reading about the crochet needle going through her hand makes me squimish and hysterical.
gonk  

peachkitten

knitting_needle_ninja

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:56 am
I have carpel tunnel too, but I think that the worst injury I ever got was when I was in elementry school.

I was really messy and was sewing, had fabric and supplies. My mom asked to borrow one of them, so I started flipping fabric around, didn't pay attention to my pin cusion, flipped it over and knelt on it. The worst part was I was wearting jeans, so I had to take them off in order to pull out the pins that had snapped in half. I mangaged to get them all out, but they went in pretty deep and my knee swelled up to the size of a cantalope. I couldn't walk for a few days, but there wasn't any permanent damage, and since my dad is a medic and my mom was a therapist, I didn't have to go to the hospital.  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:52 pm
i continuously stab myself with my needles while cross-stitching or beading. and it never hurts.  

Sango101

kochi~mochi

4,750 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Friendly 100
  • First step to fame 200
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 6:48 pm
Okay, so i know i'm reincarnating an old thread but...

I officially feel not lame. I managed to seriously hurt myself today.... i was using my sewing machine and went part way into my middle finger - just the edge, but it still hurts. xp  
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 8:00 pm
kochi~mochi
Okay, so i know i'm reincarnating an old thread but...

I officially feel not lame. I managed to seriously hurt myself today.... i was using my sewing machine and went part way into my middle finger - just the edge, but it still hurts. xp

::kisses finger::
now finger, what have I said about hurting mocki... what have I said? heart domokun  

Lee Kushrenada

Silver Mist

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 5:28 pm
I have brusitis (sp?) in my right hip from where I shattered the bone about two years ago. Basically, the scarred muscles cramp up and wont release. Over time the cramping upsets your ability to walk, causes constant pain and is general f-ing annoying.

How this relates to crafting? The pain likes to spread through the whole rgiht side of my body when it gets bad. And I'm a right handed crocheter. So my doc told me he didnt feel that it was normal of me to only consent to pysical therapy so my hand would stop hurting and I could crochet again.  
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 6:16 pm
Wow - some of these stories are pretty gruesome!!!
xd
Here's mine...
When I was about 7 or 8, I was sitting out in my backyard making "worry dolls" (ya know, tiny dolls made out of toothpicks & embroidery floss). Well, I was cutting the toothpicks down to size with a pair of scissors and *blamo!* snipped the pad of my left pointer finger right off, all the way to the bone.
Now, 15 years later, it still tingles every time I tell that story, there's still a scar, and the nerves are all messed up so it's ultra sensitive.
To make matters worse, my former job had a meat slicer, and no protective gloves. The first time I sliced my finger on it, I got the left middle finger. The second time I got myself on it, I got the left pointer finger again. LOL. So the pointer finger has been chopped twice & has 2 scars now, and the middle finger once.
*sigh*

Ska Hippie

knitting_needle_ninja

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 6:28 pm
I fractured my ankle the second to last week of school in ceramics. I was taking an armload of bisque work back into the classroom when a labtech blew through the three inch steel door the seperates the class from the fireing area. He hit be on the right foot and ankle, and fractured my fibula. I would have been able to catch the door and prevent injury If I wasn't carrying five or six bowls.  
Craftin'

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff