Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
What Everyday People Get Wrong Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Did this topic help you?
  Yes
  No
View Results

MadnessFreak

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 2:42 am
To be honest, this may as well be Zulu to me, since I couldn't tell a suffix from an adverb. >.>
(Yes, I know the two couldn't be less related)  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 9:58 am
Are you certain about "alright" not being a proper word? I checked it in my Franklin Spelling Ace thesaurus and it came up. Firefox isn't red-lining it. According to Dictionary.com, it's alright to use, but not formally.

Quote:
—Usage note The form alright as a one-word spelling of the phrase all right in all of its senses probably arose by analogy with such words as already and altogether. Although alright is a common spelling in written dialogue and in other types of informal writing, all right is used in more formal, edited writing.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Ame Yuki Kaze

Clean Seeker

4,100 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Signature Look 250

WateryGrave

Lonely Rogue

7,300 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Generous 100
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 5:07 pm
Intuicide
I stopped reading when I realized that you're a bit of a hypocrite.
You were doing okay until your bit about the research paper.

"Select something in which you are interested," is proper grammar.

-edit-
I'm sorry; I may have sounded rude.
I only mean to correct what needs to be corrected.

It's fine. I don't mind.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 5:10 pm
little_evil_goth
"Different than" isn't proper English? I had no idea! Thank you, I can use these.

A lot of these shocked me too. x]  

WateryGrave

Lonely Rogue

7,300 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Generous 100

WateryGrave

Lonely Rogue

7,300 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Generous 100
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 5:12 pm
Yami no Hitokiri
Are you certain about "alright" not being a proper word? I checked it in my Franklin Spelling Ace thesaurus and it came up. Firefox isn't red-lining it. According to Dictionary.com, it's alright to use, but not formally.

Quote:
—Usage note The form alright as a one-word spelling of the phrase all right in all of its senses probably arose by analogy with such words as already and altogether. Although alright is a common spelling in written dialogue and in other types of informal writing, all right is used in more formal, edited writing.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

I'm not so certain on the subject of "alright" and "all right". Before I'd used alright in my sentences, but my teacher says there's no such thing. Perhaps you could use it if being informal.  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 1:34 am
Its always annoyed me how people keep on using 'different than'. It's 'different from'. This is a helpful topic. It's like a summary of everything you learn in English class  

felicityvalentine

WateryGrave

Lonely Rogue

7,300 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Generous 100
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 7:56 am
felicityvalentine
Its always annoyed me how people keep on using 'different than'. It's 'different from'. This is a helpful topic. It's like a summary of everything you learn in English class

Which is what I took. x3  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 4:20 pm
It's been a long time since I've looked at this.. Glad to see it helped 11 personas so far. > w<  

WateryGrave

Lonely Rogue

7,300 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Generous 100

Starry Phoenix

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 9:43 pm
Wow! Thats amazing! Thank you very much! I am going to take notes on this.  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 9:32 pm
This is a good list,and should be very helpful to anyone needing pointers. I have to dispute some of the words it says don't exist, though.

I agree with the previously mentioned "alright" as being a word. It may have originated as the two word "all right" but is typically spelled "alright" today. It is also listed in the Merriam Webster Dictionary, though it simple says to refer to the definitition for "all right."

While "moneywise" may not be a word, it could be acceptable to say "money wise." Saying something like, "Money wise, she is doing fine," would be using the definition of "way, manner or fashion" for wise. It's basically the equivalent of saying that someone is doing well financially. Saying that a person is "money wise" would be like saying he or she is wise in matters concerning money.

Perhaps the "wise" issue in fundamentally wrong in some way I am not aware of, but it seems to be commonly accepted as a phrase.

I commonly say "off of" and while it's not correct, I think it may be a regional thing. It's kind of like the midwestern (and possibly southern?) habit of saying things along the lines of, "Where is my coat at?" It's not correct, but somehow it became how many people use it.  

Kali Eyad

Ruthless Ladykiller

9,650 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Destroyer of Cuteness 150
  • Brandisher 100

Igdra

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 10:54 am
Wow =) very nice! I appreciate the effort you took! I learned a lot of new things =) (though I can't guarantee that I'll remember them =/)
Thank you! =)  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 1:56 pm
I wish I had read this topic before I wrote my English essay. crying  

Lady Dionish

Kitsune Kit Kaguya

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:14 am
Words we are forbidden to use in essays (by my AP English Teacher anyway, I'm not so sure about other teachers.) Remember, for it to be frobidden some one had to use it first. xp

Calling the reader you, your, yours, yourself, yourselves

Basically

Actually

Really

Hisself-NOT A WORD

Ourself-NO SUCH WORD

Themself- WHY DO AP STUDENTS KEEP MAKING UP WORDS?

Finally, don't mix up then and than. Then is a time sequence, than is a comparison. This scares me. AP English Students make these mistakes. eek

Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff