Reply Sacred Sources -The Outer Forum -
"Your religion, if you choose to give it" Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Christina Prince

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 12:12 pm
Well other works for me becuase I have my own personal religion. No I didn't sit around making up gods and things, I just take what makes sence to me from various religions and blend the meanings together into an umber nice personal belief system. and I belive that the next person to post in this topic gets an astral cookie! heart  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 9:35 am
I think one of the reasons that a hospital may ask for a person's religion is because some religions have guidelines on what medical treatment is acceptable. Even so, a person who claims any particular religion may not wholey agree with some of its tenets. For example, I had a Catholic teacher who was also pro-choice.

I personally decide on an individual basis whether I tell the person my religious affiliation. If I feel the person may actually threaten my well-being, then telling is obviously out of the question. I tell no one in my family because they're all Biblical conspiracy theorists (I kid you not). rolleyes On the other hand, I have no problem telling close friends.

Boadicia

Christina Prince

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:35 am
Boadicia
I think one of the reasons that a hospital may ask for a person's religion is because some religions have guidelines on what medical treatment is acceptable. Even so, a person who claims any particular religion may not wholey agree with some of its tenets. For example, I had a Catholic teacher who was also pro-choice.

I personally decide on an individual basis whether I tell the person my religious affiliation. If I feel the person may actually threaten my well-being, then telling is obviously out of the question. I tell no one in my family because they're all Biblical conspiracy theorists (I kid you not). rolleyes On the other hand, I have no problem telling close friends.

To go along with what you just said, last rights are really important in some religions. I came from catholisism and having a priest anoint you with sacred oil RIGHT after you die is really important. Not really sure why, I think its to purify you before your soul leaves your body or something. Not like getting you into heaven but like. just giving you the proper paper work to apply to get into heaven.  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:50 am
DR490N
what i'm saying is that perhaps some part of them, concious or subconcious, feels dissatisfied or ashamed in some way shape or form of the choice in religion(lets face it, despite what anyone says, polytheism is discouraged in the western world, and generally looked down upon). when it comes down to it, the issue here is pride. do you feel comfortable with your choice in religions? do you feel as if this spiritual path you have chosen is where you belong? do you feel as if your gods care enough for you to treat you as a friend instead of an inferior?(somewhat biased that one. i deal primarily with the celtic gods, and being a dragon, i have some great respect from them. they treat me as an equal, and in fact helped me retake some astral territory). but i digress. back to the topic and point at hand, what i am saying is that i think they should re-evaluate their choice and do some serious "soul-searching"(i despise the term but have utilized it for want of a better word) and really truly look hard at their spiritual path, perhaps seeking out other ways of dealing with spirituality. the way i see it, if you can't be proud enough to come right out and say "THIS IS WHAT I BELIEVE AND IF YOU'LL JUDGE ME WRONGFULLY ON IT, ******** YOU.", then you really shouldnt be on that path in the first place.

You're honestly either too young or too ignorant to really understand the first thing about discrimination, so I'm not going to even bother going into it; what I think is hilarious is that you assume I'm ashamed of my religion because I don't want to have to open myself up more than I have to. Am I ashamed of my sexulaity because I'm not screaming about it from the roof tops? There is such as thing as "discretion", and I am honetly a big fan of it. The people who need to know my religious beliefs, those people that my paractice may effect, know and I have had no qualms about expressing them to them.

I do not, however, see any need to express beliefs of a personal nature to strangers, or to people who may otherwise be hostile; I have enough stress in my life to deal with at the moment while I finish my degree, and they've manifested in some very serious health problems this year. I do not need to add to that stress by opening myself up to possible harassment, or even quiet disapproval; I'm simply spread too thin at the time being to have the proper mental faculties to deal with that.

I know who and what I am, and I have a beautiful relationship with my gods and my spirit guides; I'm secure in that, and what I believe. What I am uncomfortable with, as Nihil had begun to express, is what others expect of me. I've been discriminated against before, losing a job in the process, over matters not related to religion; while Canada is a "free country", as you so eloquently put it, it is not a perfect country. Discrimination happens, and I'll hold true to the section of the Rede that reminds me "To will, to know, and to be silent" in order to prevent the possibility of being discriminated against again.

The Bookwyrm
Crew

Ayla Skye

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 12:04 pm
I understand not saying anything to those who might not understand. Personally I have no qualms about stating my religion to whoever asks. I will avoid saying anything to someone who I know won't understand. There are a few people I know who are very religious and christian and might thing of me differently if they knew I was pagan.

As for forms and questionairs, a lot of the time I don't know what to call my faith so someone else might understand. I don't like to call myself wiccan because I don't thing of myself as wiccan. I am more eclectic pagan with strong celtic and dragon beliefs. I saw a name for religion that would actually fit very nicely to what I belive. It was called Draconicity, it is the belief in dragons or that you yourself are a dragon. However I have yet to call my religion this.

I go to a Unitarian Universilist church and find it very accepting. It is a church of many faiths that people can go to and worship without any discriminations.  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 10:14 am
In my personal opinion it shouldn't matter what you say your religion is so you shouldn't have to give it. The fact they ask could mean that the answer would determine how people there would treat you, so I probably wouldn't have answered. But under normal circumstances I wouldn't not answer anyway, don't get me wrong I am totally comfortable being a pagan/wiccan and don't care what otehr people say about my choice but....it is a personal thing that I do not share with total strangers.  

Friagne The Hunter

abarrach

7,950 Points
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 8:14 pm
Boadicia
I think one of the reasons that a hospital may ask for a person's religion is because some religions have guidelines on what medical treatment is acceptable.

For instance, Jehovah's Witnesses don't accept blood transfusions.

One would hope that the reason for the question is to be pro-active about respecting the patient's wishes regarding medical treatment. But I think it would be naïve to think that it could not be used to instigate discrimination, especially in a small Catholic town.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 3:20 am
Your "religion" is really just a euphimism for "absolutely ******** ridiculous things you believe are true". =o  

Rustig

4,750 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Entrepreneur 150

MollyFu

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 5:28 am
I had a very similar occurence in my life...and I simply said non-denominational. I wasn't coming out but I sure as heck wasn't staying in the closet either.  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:29 pm
The Bookwyrm
It was a standard enough question, thrown in with all of the usual healthcare related questions I get asked to confirm at the hospital: Address, phone number, next of kin... However this is the only hospital I've ever encountered that asks for my religion.

I like to think of myself as a proud Pagan; I know how and what I am, and I ask for the same respect that I pay any other faith. But it seemed like some sort of horrible violation, sitting at the registry desk with the nurse in the little Catholic town of Antigonish, and being asked for my religion "should I choose to give it." That they asked at all implies that they expect me to give it, and I should be able to give it. Wicca is a recognized religion in Canada.

But I couldn't do it.

I don't know what the fear was. Whether I was afraide of a dirty look, or that I would be living the horror story of a friend wherein they would not write down my religion as stated. Instead, I sat there and politely demured feeling as though I was betraying myself, and chastising myself by saying "You'd have given it anywhere else; in a city you wouldn't have even hesitated!" There's just something terrifying about this small, Catholic community...

Perhaps it's just me, but does it make anyone else uncomfortable in a similar setting to be asked for a statement of religious faith? Has anyone else even encountered it? Admittedly, most of NeoPaganism has a strong tendency towards privacy of faith, of people not knowing more than they need to know, but is my aversion to being asked so simple a question a product of that, or perhaps anxeity and lack of sleep?

i have to say, by first letting you know that i purposely neglected to read others answers to this yet for a completely personal thought, that it was likely both feelings realy. i know alot about anxiety, being one of the most anxious people you will ever meet. it seems that christian faith is very narrow minded, and yes, it would be scary to have to let an entire small town of catholics, who almost certainly think that you to be pagan or wiccan means that you deal with evil demons, that you are in fact pagan. i myself didn't know ho wto tell my friend kay, who wants to baptise me, however is not forcing me, that i decided to be wicca like my mother before me. so i just told her. and she wa scared of me for it... stare but it's ok. she was a friend, and less narrow minded. although her initial reaction got me pissed. i do think that you had every right to not have to say, but it must have been so horrible to feel so....afraid. like you let yourself down. i think it is just not right for them to go assuming bad things about what they don't even know about, and try to tell you that they know better than you about it. that is just plain wrong!  

twilight insanity

twilight insanity

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 7:24 pm
ok, so far i read the first page, and have noticed that everyone here is only talking about things from their own viewpoint. i realy think that although that is specific, it is hard for others to understand it if you don't look at it in their way before you type it, and try to type it in a way that is more on the listener's level of thinking. everyone is different here, and it realy helps to be able to have a broader range of sensabilities. it make sthe communication easier. your self-asteem must have been hurt bye the fact that you felt ashamed, but i would still say that you don't have to feel too insecure about yourself. i know what it is like to worry about what others think of you without even giving you a chance, and not listening to you. then they try to tell you what's what and who's how! and i have to deal with taht EVERY DAMN DAY!! but ya know what? i get through it. i get angry at first, yes, and lose control for a while. but eventualy i get back to normal, and remind myself, i have to be me, and move on. some day i'll show everyone what i mean, and even if they don't listen, it will still sink in.  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:56 pm
I know there has been some suggested types of discrimination in which someone may be refused medical treatment for their beliefs (or lack thereof).

This is just a side note, but religious discrimination in hospitals and other medical areas is illegal. It violates the Hippocratic Oath (which they have to abide by in order to be licensed).

That code states that a doctor, nurse, hospital, etc. can't refuse anyone who needs medical treatment.

If you need medical assistance and are refused because of your religious beliefs, you can have one nasty lawsuit that can include stripping the doctor/hospital of their right to practice medicene.

Just wanted to make sure everyone knows that.  

iolitefire

twilight insanity

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 2:08 pm
iolitefire
I know there has been some suggested types of discrimination in which someone may be refused medical treatment for their beliefs (or lack thereof).

This is just a side note, but religious discrimination in hospitals and other medical areas is illegal. It violates the Hippocratic Oath (which they have to abide by in order to be licensed).

That code states that a doctor, nurse, hospital, etc. can't refuse anyone who needs medical treatment.

If you need medical assistance and are refused because of your religious beliefs, you can have one nasty lawsuit that can include stripping the doctor/hospital of their right to practice medicene.

Just wanted to make sure everyone knows that.
eek wow. that is good to know, i didn't know that! surprised ..although...i guess it should have been obvious, huh? sweatdrop heheheh!  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 2:25 pm
The Bookwyrm
DR490N
what i'm saying is that perhaps some part of them, concious or subconcious, feels dissatisfied or ashamed in some way shape or form of the choice in religion(lets face it, despite what anyone says, polytheism is discouraged in the western world, and generally looked down upon). when it comes down to it, the issue here is pride. do you feel comfortable with your choice in religions? do you feel as if this spiritual path you have chosen is where you belong? do you feel as if your gods care enough for you to treat you as a friend instead of an inferior?(somewhat biased that one. i deal primarily with the celtic gods, and being a dragon, i have some great respect from them. they treat me as an equal, and in fact helped me retake some astral territory). but i digress. back to the topic and point at hand, what i am saying is that i think they should re-evaluate their choice and do some serious "soul-searching"(i despise the term but have utilized it for want of a better word) and really truly look hard at their spiritual path, perhaps seeking out other ways of dealing with spirituality. the way i see it, if you can't be proud enough to come right out and say "THIS IS WHAT I BELIEVE AND IF YOU'LL JUDGE ME WRONGFULLY ON IT, ******** YOU.", then you really shouldnt be on that path in the first place.

You're honestly either too young or too ignorant to really understand the first thing about discrimination, so I'm not going to even bother going into it; what I think is hilarious is that you assume I'm ashamed of my religion because I don't want to have to open myself up more than I have to. Am I ashamed of my sexulaity because I'm not screaming about it from the roof tops? There is such as thing as "discretion", and I am honetly a big fan of it. The people who need to know my religious beliefs, those people that my paractice may effect, know and I have had no qualms about expressing them to them.

I do not, however, see any need to express beliefs of a personal nature to strangers, or to people who may otherwise be hostile; I have enough stress in my life to deal with at the moment while I finish my degree, and they've manifested in some very serious health problems this year. I do not need to add to that stress by opening myself up to possible harassment, or even quiet disapproval; I'm simply spread too thin at the time being to have the proper mental faculties to deal with that.

I know who and what I am, and I have a beautiful relationship with my gods and my spirit guides; I'm secure in that, and what I believe. What I am uncomfortable with, as Nihil had begun to express, is what others expect of me. I've been discriminated against before, losing a job in the process, over matters not related to religion; while Canada is a "free country", as you so eloquently put it, it is not a perfect country. Discrimination happens, and I'll hold true to the section of the Rede that reminds me "To will, to know, and to be silent" in order to prevent the possibility of being discriminated against again.

ah. i see my words have been misinterpreted. As is, I am very proud of being who and what i am, as well as having the typical dragon arrogance. I am a pagan, and i do not utilize discretion, considering it to be ultimately useless. the world appears to be preparing for something like a second renaissance, wit hthe rise of paganism, a shift in culture(downward really, and from the bottom you can only go up), environmental thinking, etc. As such i think it is really very foolish to hide oneself. i've always been of the mindset that to stand up in front of others and proudly state what you believe is a good thing, even if you fear discrimination for it. i know i have received more than my fair share of discrimination, often and unfairly. Still I stand strong, and I refuse to budge even a little for some jackass who doesnt like what I believe. if that makes me 'immature' or 'ignorant', so be it. I will stand for what I believe in, even when it is not neccessary.  

DR490N

Sacred Sources -The Outer Forum -

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces